Whole30 Book and Gift Suggestions

msmirnio

Folks,

It's that time of year - my family has been hounding me for what gifts I'd like for the holidays. I already own ISWF (and highly recommend you give this to someone you love!); I'd appreciate any gift ideas that are health/paleo/perhaps even Whole30-related!

The only things I've been able to think of asking for are:

1) a hard-covered copy of Well Fed,

2) the Pre-Made Paleo's Whole30 Approved Emergency Pack for my (second!) January Whole30,

3) I'm not even kidding, a gift certificate/credit to WholePaycheck

Let's hear it (especially books!).

I was mulling over the same thing a few days ago, I asked for the Practical Paleo book.

Other than that, can you think of any kitchen/cooking supplies that you need? Or stockpiles of things you like to consume while on W30 (tea, kombucha, cans of coconut milk, etc...)

For Christmas I have the urge to buy everyone I know a copy of ISWF but I have a feeling that wouldn't go over too well...

Good points TrayS! I might ask for kitchen tools (Julienne peeler...handheld blender to make soups).

I totally feel you on the ISWF gifting idea - my solution: for your neighborhood/coworkers, instead of giving pretty chocolates/cookies - I'm making them some Whole30-compliant foods (though definitely SWYPO...gotta start somewhere): Garlic mashed cauliflower, sweet potato fries, brussle sprout chips, homemade mayo, homemade pesto with spaghetti squash!

Then I leave them a little teaser by listing ingredients and just including "Paleo" in the title and see if that sparks any interest - hopefully not "That hippy down the road left something weird at our door!" :P

• Moderators

I maintain an Amazon Wish list for my wife. In addition to a variety of cooking related books and gadgets, the list included a Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 14-Inch Roaster with Rack and Lifters and the Bamix Mono 133 White Immersion Blender.

Don't tell my wife, but I know the immersion blender has already arrived and the roasting pan is shipping soon. We share the Amazon.com account and I get notifications when things ship. I was looking through my wish list and noticed the roasting pan was gone. She placed the order this morning. Just so you know things are fair, she "happened" to be in the jewelery store where I shop and brought home a "Hint Hint" card with the serial number of a sapphire bracelet she liked. That bracelet is sitting in my desk now.

Tom, sounds like a good system.

msmirnio, Gift ideas: I have a dehydrator that I use making jerky and dried vegetable chips. Good for snacks. Also, when you know you might be losing your power, it's useful for making food that will keep a long time.

For books, there are a bunch, all with their slightly different take and applicability. I'm currently reading Tim Ferriss's "Four Hour Chef" and Tamra Adler's "An Everlasting Meal". Ferriss is a "slow carb" guy and the book is half about cooking and half about how to learn things. Adler is a big fan of bread so it is certainly not W30 or post W30 BUT she has a way of writing and demystifies cooking. If you're a fan of nose to tail eating (I recommend Fergus Henderson's books as well) you should also be a fan of root to leaf eating. Let's just say, she doesn't let much go to waste.

Don't tell my wife, but I know the immersion blender has already arrived and the roasting pan is shipping soon. We share the Amazon.com account and I get notifications when things ship. I was looking through my wish list and noticed the roasting pan was gone. She placed the order this morning. Just so you know things are fair, she "happened" to be in the jewelery store where I shop and brought home a "Hint Hint" card with the serial number of a sapphire bracelet she liked. That bracelet is sitting in my desk now.

Tom...you are so sneaky.. I love it.

Practical paleo is a great book. I just gave it to my mom for her bday and my grandmother will get it gor christmas. We are all somewhat new to paleo although i do more research than either of them.

Sarah fragoso also has a good book. I find a lot of her recipes are w30 approved.

I have well fed on my wish list and other kitchen items--new knives, dutch oven and mandolin slicer.

All above are Great ideas. I would add : Spirooli ( die making zucchini and other squash noodles); jar of Artisan Coconut butter, jar of Ghee, Penzey spices-- especially Sunny Paris, 17" Lodge cast iron pan ( my favorite cooking utensil). Nom Nom would say a pressure cooker but I am afraid of it..

• Moderators

Shelley, I wish I could invite everyone to my house for a Pressure Cooker cooking class. Modern pressure cookers are way different than those our mothers and grandmothers used. I think you would feel completely safe after watching me cook anything in a pressure cooker just one time.

• 2 years later...

Quality coffee or tea. My current favorites: http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com,

http://fazendaboston.com, https://www.teaforte.com

A multi-pack of passes to a barre, pilates or yoga studio.

Gift cards to any of the following:

- a butcher who offers grass fed and/or pastured products

- a cookware or kitchen gadget store (in the U.S.: Bed, Bath and Beyond; Williams-Sonoma; Sur La Table)

- Barnes & Noble (to get whatever cookbook you *have* to own)

- Penzeys Spices

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful coffee from Larrys Beans. Organic, fair trade, blah blah blah fishcakes. Their blends are amazing and you can get your beans ground for a French Press. https://larryscoffee.com

A six pack of Tesserae catsup. Only $7 shipping! http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/products/ketchup-6-pack

A gift card for Trader Joes.

Archived