So delicious coconut milk

satisfied7

what's on the ingredients list?

ETA:

found it...

Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM), ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

items in red are Definitely non compliant. the other ones I think are compliant.

Oh and ... i believe not... i just did a quick google, I checked all those types of cartons at the health food store when I first started whole30 and they are full of garbage... and some non compliance stuff... sorry!

you can just get tinned coconut milk with guar gum (try not to get the kind with the Potassium Metabisulfite additive)

Thank you! Are they chemicals or sugar or both? Also, where do you post general questions? Like I want to ask someone to please explain SWYPO. Where would that go as a general question? I know what it stands for but don't understand. Yes I am blonde! :))

Have you read the book? If not, I highly recommend it or go through the info at the top of the site. On my phone so I am not being very clear about where the info is. Yes sugar and many chemicals are not allowed. Coconut milk in the can with nothing added except guar gum is what you want. Most of the stuff in cartons is yucky. SWYPO means trying to recreate something real with paleo ingredients. Trying to make a cake or muffins for example. I would answer your question about which area to ask questions in but I can't tell where we are on my phone. :)

Thanks Susan! I am reading the book now and I have the daily emails coming! I am on day 12 and I have not ventured far from approved, meat, veggies and fruit. So I am not good at reading labels and knowing exactly what is allowed! The book has so much information which is great but I am a little slower to take it in. Thanks for the SWYPO explanation. Makes perfect sense!

Btw, we are in "can I have ------?" section of the website. Thank you again! Everyone!

oh. I read the swypo article and now I see it didn't understand it, actually. I'll just pretend I didn't read it, because it's been so many years since I had pizza, I don't actually long for pizza. I remember the last time I had it, it tasted like greasy cardboard... and I like things made with almond flour. So, the 'it isn't going to be good enough' argument doesn't work for me at all; I'm wired in the opposite direction now.

But on the general questions theme, I have just been sticking to the basic outline too. I'm on day 17 and I'm starting to wonder about things that aren't on the list and aren't off the list -- raw cacao nibs, micro-algae, coconut kefir, herbal remedies -- I've had a wicked headache for a few days now, and I see lots of posts about wicked headaches, so today I ditched the black tea with coconut milk and made a batch of ginger and tumeric tea.

There's posts about being sure you eat enough, but I'm feeling like I've been eating too heavily for me, so I'm hanging out with a batch of bone broth chicken soup with carrots and lots of greens. Compliant foods, but doesn't fit the 'hand' model per se, or at least not that I can tell, since it's soup. But I'm feeling like my digestive system needs some rest and I may be mildly dehydrated from drinking black tea.

• 1 year later...

I bought this tonight.  It doesn't have any of the ingredients listed in a prior post.  Is it compliant or non-compliant?  I'm getting different answers everywhere.  I thought I'd go with the experts.  

Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMENTHIONNE (SELENIUM), SINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12

So I emailed the company today and below is their response...  Does this mean it's not vanilla extract?  

Hello Michelle, 

Thank you for your email. The natural vanilla flavor comes from botanicals and extracts from natural sources only. We have lined up our natural vanilla flavoring used in some of our products to use in all of our products. We still always follow the organic standards with our product plant-based ingredients and we purchase our natural flavors from only a handful of companies with whom we have developed a trusting relationship. 

Also, as a key component of our non-GMO project compliance we strive to identify and utilize ingredients that are not corn based. I hope this helps clear things up!

Archived