Coconut milk substitute

Becker16

My husband and I are starting Whole30, however he is allergic to coconut. I didnt think this would be a big deal but so many of the recipes use coconut milk. Ine of those being the ranch dressing which uses coconut cream. Is there a substitute that is Whole30 approved?

• Moderators

It's going to depend on the recipe and what the coconut milk is meant to do, but nut milks like almond or cashew milk may work, or sometimes you might even be able to use broth. I would avoid recipes like curries where coconut milk is a major part of the recipe. For creamy soups where you add the coconut milk as a last step after most of the cooking is done, almond or cashew milk should be fine, but they can be thinner than canned coconut milk so you may not need as much.

If you Google whole30 no coconut or whole30 forum no coconut, you should find previous discussions from people who avoid coconut either because they don't care for it or because they have an allergy. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Becker16 said:

Thanks guys. Scoakley13, i will definitely try that version. Thanks! Ive been told to check out pinterest too for good recipes.  Thanks again!

Be careful with Pinterest, lots of stuff is marked Whole30 but is no where near compliant or the spirit of the program :)

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I've made the ranch dip from the book just omitting the coconut cream and it's great. A tad on the thin side for a dip, but still tasty and works great for dipping carrots, celery sticks. 

I can't stand the taste of coconut milk so I avoid anything with it, substitute or just omit it.

Archived