Whole 30 on a very tight budget

fitmom8381

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, fitmom8381 said:

My husband and I want to eat healthy but only have a small amount of money each month to spend on food. I don’t think I can swing all organic meets ,what do I do? 

You don't have to eat anything organic if you can't afford it... if you can't, then the best bet is to buy leaner cuts of meat or trim fat from the meats you choose.

• 1 month later...

Hi Fitmom, as stated by others, Whole30 does not mean everything has to be organic. I too keep a tight hold on my food budget, but have found doing a Whole30 is completely within my limit. Here are some things I've learned:

- Most of the time, the "fancy" ingredients are not needed (coconut aminos, avocado oil, nuts). 99% of the time, I just leave them out of a recipe, or pick a recipe that works with what's in my house.

- Frozen veggies! This is key, not only are they inexpensive, but they won't go bad, so you don't run the risk of wasting food that goes bad.

- Canned salmon, tuna, and eggs are great sources of protein that won't hurt your budget. Just make sure to read the labels on tuna and salmon to make sure it's compliant.

- meals don't have to be complicated. I maybe cook 1-2 new recipes each week, but otherwise, I'm all about salads, frittatas, eggs.

- Take a little extra time each week to scan your area for sales on fresh produce.

I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Elizabeth - keep meals simple. Meal 1 can be eggs and a piece of fruit or eggs and compliant bacon. Meal 2 can be a garden salad with chicken. Meal 3 can be burger patties with plain baked potato and roasted broccoli. That whole day would cost very little. Keep some meals very repetitive and make sure you eat all your leftovers!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MamaJ said:

I agree with Elizabeth - keep meals simple. Meal 1 can be eggs with veggies and a plated fat and a piece of fruit or eggs and compliant bacon and veggies. Meal 2 can be a garden salad with chicken. Meal 3 can be burger patties with plain baked potato and roasted broccoli with mayo or avocado. That whole day would cost very little. Keep some meals very repetitive and make sure you eat all your leftovers!

I edited your post a bit to make your suggestions more in line with the meal template :)

Archived