Championship Whole 30 Chili?

StylinGirl

My office is having our annual chili cook-off and I'm usually a tough competitor. I'm planning to stick to approved ingredients, which means beans (not "real chili anyway ;)), beer, Worcestershire sauce and a few of my other tricks are out. Any suggestions for ingredients that I'm missing that will make my recipe really stand out this year?

I add vegetables that give texture and color. I know chili doesn't have a lot of colors, but I would add rainbow carrots and chunks of butternut squash along with rich meats. I did this a couple of years ago for a party and served it in a big round squash and it was not only delicious but a hit. Total different spin on chili but the presentation and flavor are great :) Using bone-in short ribs as part of the meat profile will add a richness and depth that you might feel you are missing without the beer and such. Good luck!

Oh, and if you are able to  get your hands on a couple of chunks of reishi mushroom, that will add flavor, depth AND medicinal value. Shitake if you can't find reishi (reishi is sold dry at health food stores or ethnic stores - amazon if you have time). Who doesn't like immune boosters, right?

Missi

Archived