Using dates or naturally sweet apple cider for cooking

DeepBlue02

Hi, I'm brand new to Whole30. I'm wondering if using dates and apple cider in cooking is acceptable in small quantities. I wouldn't be using them to satisfy sugar cravings rather as a way to balance flavors. My idea is to use the cider for BBQ sauce and I'd like to experiment with dates as a substitute for Palm sugar (reduced amounts) for Thai recipes.  

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, DeepBlue02 said:

Hi, I'm brand new to Whole30. I'm wondering if using dates and apple cider in cooking is acceptable in small quantities. I wouldn't be using them to satisfy sugar cravings rather as a way to balance flavors. My idea is to use the cider for BBQ sauce and I'd like to experiment with dates as a substitute for Palm sugar (reduced amounts) for Thai recipes.  

Yes, this is fine :)

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Susan Hooker said:

We are planning to use dates as a substitute for honey in a recipe, what is the proportion?  For example, how many dates to 2 tbsp of honey?  thanks!

I think google is going to be your best bet here... it's going to depend on whether you make or use a date puree or if this is a blended item, if you're just going to put the dates in and then grind it all up... Start with one and increase to taste.

Archived