Type II Diabetes, Feeling Horrible

I just started the Whole30 on October 30th and my blood sugars have been extremely low for me, normal to high for non-diabetics.  I am running under 130 consistently and when I get to 103 I feel horrible.  I start to sweat and shake, my blood sugar has been running consistently over 200 to 300 which I know is bad.  Is it normal to feel this way or am I doing something wrong with the program?  I will say today is day three and I woke up actually feeling okay but my blood sugar was 178, any suggestions on how to beat the feeling I am losing it would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

This is not normal. You may want to discuss this with your doctor, especially if you are on medication to lower your blood sugar. No one here cam give you medical advice.

That said, I would wonder what your meals have been like. Are you eating enough? Including a serving or two of fat in each meal? Are you eating any kind of starchy vegetables, and how do you feel if you do eat them? (Starchy vegetables include potatoes, sweet potatoes, any root vegetables like beets, carrots, parsnips, or turnips, and any of the winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash.) 

Hi there, I also have type 2 and my blood sugars absolutely go down and I feel awful when they do. Talk to your doctor. My endocrinologist allows me to lower one of my medications when this happens so that I don't have to eat to the low blood sugar level, but your doctor may do something different. The result of normalizing blood sugars for me, though, is increased energy, better sleep, and my vision improves. 

Blood sugars that rise and fall do a number on your body, so do expect some changes. The not feeling good may be leading to feeling better. 

Whole30 and resultant paleo-ish eating is the best thing I've done for my diabetes. I hope it turns out that way for you too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is something wrong with your meter or strips, 103 is NOT low.  Below 70 is low.  Because your blood sugar has been running in the 200s and 300s, your body started to feel that that was normal.  When you changed your diet and your blood sugar dropped rapidly, it saw it as a hypo, but it's not.   It's your body's way of adjusting to the lower blood sugar.  It's called a false hypo.  I agree with the others, that you should discuss this with your doctor.  And compare your meter reading with one done at the doctor's office to see if your meter is correct. 

Archived