Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

srsimpson

1st W30, Thanksgiving, and Psoriasis, oh my!

Hi all! I'm Stephanie, a 25 year old woman ready to kick off my first official Whole30! I have one major motivation factor and one slight concern that I've detailed below. Is there anyone else who can relate?? I'd love to hear from you! Finding a supportive community is a huge factor to success and I'm glad to have found a program that encourages it.

Motivation > This year, I've been fighting to combat Psoriasis, an autoimmune condition that manifests in skin inflammation. I experienced the worst flare up of my life this past Spring, which left me feeling very sad and desperate to heal my body. Along with other strategies like focusing on stress-relief and increased sun exposure, I followed an unofficial Whole30 in which I avoided gluten, dairy, sugar, etc. in an effort to help my body heal. I believe food had a major impact on my health and eventually the flare up went down. Well, this time of year (i.e. the cold weather, sugar everywhere, holiday stress) is usually when I have small flare ups occur, and obviously I would like to avoid ever having to go through another "worst flare up of my life." Psoriasis, and most all autoimmune conditions, are very tricky to navigate. This is my attempt to give my body the fighting chance it deserves to be it's best. Also, having more energy and a clearer brain wouldn't hurt either ;)

Concern > While I'm feeling motivated and ready, I have been thinking a lot about how this may impact my Thanksgiving plans, as I'm sure a lot of you are. Right now, I'm comforted by the fact that many of my favorite foods are compliant (roasted turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc.) but I'm looking for any recipe ideas and suggestions you all have for planning a Thanksgiving that focuses on wholesome food and time with others. I could've chosen any other month, but I felt that this holiday would be the least tempting (because, Christmas cookies, ya'll) and a good way to stay on track going into the most indulgent time of year.

I hope to hear from you! Good luck with your journey!