Starting November 4th

Goody112

No doubt. Me too. My advice is to find something compliant at the restaurants you eat at before you start Saturday. That way you will know what to get before you walk in the door and your u can stay away from restaurants that don’t have a compliant option or can eat before you go to the those restaurants and just have sparkling water in social restaurant situations. I also get precooked rotisserie chickens from supermarkets for protein when I don’t feel like cooking. Cooking up some food on the weekend to use throughout the week is how I succeeded years ago. I have failed many times since due to stress eating. I am going to stick with it this time. 

Good morning,

I almost quit before I even started, a lot of negative self talk going on, plus BBQ ribs and beer, but today is day one and I am all in!  I’m getting together a shopping list and heading out shortly.  What did you usually have for breakfast the last time you did this?

Lots of restaurants these days are more in tune to special dietary considerations. One thing I routinely do is bring my dressing with me in a small squeeze container. And look at the menu ahead of you don’t already know what they serve and what you can get. It does take a little work at first, but remember that you are just starting a new journey and that takes adjustment:) 

Hi Bewellplanted. Nice to meet you. Definitely don’t give up Goody112. I know how you feel. We will continue to have those feelings. Just have the mentality of, “no matter what happens today, I’m not going to eat or drink anything noncompliant...no matter what.” Re: Breakfast, I eat scrambled eggs cooked in ghee with one or more of the following on the side: tomato, avocado, sweet potatoes cooked in ghee (with or without onion and bell pepper, leftover veggies. My friend who is a paleo chef, in a different city!, hard boils enough eggs for the week on Sunday. I prefer to quick scramble them but you might prefer hard boiling for grab-and-go convenience. Here is what I made for breakfast today. I liked it a lot! 

https://thewonkyspatula.com/2015/07/12/brilliant-breakfast-bowl/

I am going to hang out with a friend this afternoon and will be tempted. I’ll tell him about doing the Whole 30 right away so my inner monologue doesn’t start telling me “you can start tomorrow”. No way. We are doing this! 

Newellplanted...8 to 10 Whole 30s....wow!!!!!!!!! That is very inspiring to me. We are lucky that you are starting today and that we are taking this journey together. You are clearly a strong person who understands what it takes to stick with it for 30 days.

I started today too! This is my second attempt--the first attempt only lasted a day and half. (I don't think I was mentally prepared the first time--the first recipe I cooked that day involved coconut cream which I did not love, and I was instantly overwhelmed with the fear of no butter!) Since then, I've been forced to rethink. I had a painful bout with diverticulitis a few weeks ago, and my body is still not quite right. Given family and past health history, I know I am also a prime candidate for diabetes and need to lose about 20 pounds. So, here I go! I already keep a lot of Whole30 compliant food in the house (lots of veggies and proteins), but I'm headed to the store this afternoon to restock and get a few extras. My husband and kids are being supportive, and although they won't be on the program with me, I think I'll be able to prepare compliant meals that will please everyone (with a few tweaks to their portions, like some rice and soy sauce for their stir fries). It's just going to take a lot of planning... And some serious willpower...

Thanks for the encouragement.  Hawk, your breakfast looked delicious.  I can see that it is going to take me a bit to get the swing of things and I am so glad to have you and Bewellplanted going through this with me.  I had scrambled eggs with bacon and broccoli, sort of a stir fry for breakfast.  Some chicken on some lettuce with half an avocado and some salsa for lunch and am thinking about grilled salmon for dinner.  

I love fresh veggies, but I have a habit of buying them and then putting them in the compost heap because I never got around to cooking them.  I think I might need to go to the store everyday.

Hi Cherly  and welcome!  I am new to the whole 30.  I am easing into this the first couple days, sticking to keeping it really simple. I tend to go out and buy too much food and then throw half of it away, which I hate doing for so many reasons.  I think I might try to follow the meal plan in the book for the first week to help me get the hang of it.  

Hi again - so my name is Missi - I forgot to sign my last post :) BeWellPlanted is my life's mission, so it makes a good username.... 

First, it's awesome that you guys are on this road, you are going to learn so much about your body and mind in the next 30 days. I tend to do a whole 30 about every 6 - 8 months. Sometimes it's to reset something (this time it's poor sleep and energy) and other times it's to help friends and family or clients in their journey. So that's why I've done a lot of them. Some people stick to a whole 30 plan all the time. I follow a lot of the principles when I am not doing a whole 30, but I do well with full-fat raw/organic dairy so I usually re-introduce that and some other foods in a traditional diet (soaked grains and things like that). Anyway, my biggest challenge is usually the dairy because ...well, it's delightful to me. But I recognize that I can get really heavy on the dairy in my diet, and that's one of the things that prompts me to do a reset. I'd love to hear what you think your biggest hurdles might be - when I did my first one I thought it would be alcohol and I didn't miss it very much at all. 

Keeping things as simple as possible is really important. I love being in my kitchen but it can get a little overwhelming when you are working within the framework of the whole 30 at first. Later on it ends up being cool to create new things :) Let's see, today I ate some sweet potatoes, bacon, caramelized onions, asparagus and quail eggs for breakfast. Sounds fancy but it isn't - it was all leftovers except the eggs. One of my tricks is to cook a good amount of a 2 or 3 things that I really love and then eat them for a few days. Then I had tuna and some tomatoes and pickled tomatoes for lunch/dinner. I was busy today and so my breakfast was big instead of eating a regular breakfast and lunch. Oh and the lunch was on a bed of greens. Hard boiled eggs and avocados are a good one for me, I can eat that for breakfast for several days. We are headed into cold weather here so I will many times have a cup of bone broth with my breakfast or lunch. And I drink tea and herbal infusions every day. 

One of my other favorite breakfasts is a stew kind of thing. I take a pound of meat (beef or whatever you have) and brown it with some onions and then add cubed sweet potato or squash (something orange) and a pile of greens like spinach and then dump a can of coconut milk in it and let it simmer. It's even better with some shwarma spices if you have those. 

I cook here and everyone eats what I cook or they make their own whatever, so I don't have to worry about anyone else mucking up my diet - which is a HUGE advantage. 

Oh, and i used to buy all the things so I would be prepared for days and then I would end up throwing out things we didn't eat, or not knowing what to do with them. You really have to find what works for you, because if you are spending a fortune or too much time planning and all of that and then it's draining, you won't be as interested in keeping with it. Some people go to the store every day, others only every couple of weeks. I have found that getting the bulk of my staples all in one shot for a few weeks is best for me. Then I'm not running to the store for things 5 days a week. And then I go to the local farmers markets and farm stores (we have a few very close) twice a week for fresh stuff and maybe something I ran out of. I also used to prep once a week and that worked great for me when I didn't have any bandwidth during the week for making meals. I could cook up 2 or 3 things that would cover a few meals. And I put it on my schedule to go through the fridge twice a week now. Anything that hasn't been eaten in a couple of days gets frozen or otherwise used for something in dinner that night. It takes a little practice. 

Off to plan the menu for the next few days - Hope you all made it through day 1 with flying colors!!!

Missi

Good morning everyone.  How did everyone do yesterday?  Hawk, how was hanging out with friends?  I am in a similar situation today.  It’s not til this afternoon so I will eat before I go.  I know there will be a lot of food and wine and pressure from people.  I’m going to bring a couple bottles of seltzer with me and plead a health issue, people seem to accept that better.  

I looked at the meal plan in the book and although it looks delicious, I would have to quit my job in order to do that much shopping and cooking.  I am going to take it one day at a time with a well stocked pantry.

Let me know how everyone is doing.  Enjoy the day!

Hi Goody (and all). I think they have the menu plan set so it looks appetizing and has plenty of options, but you can do just as well starting and having a couple of things ready. You don’t even really need to cook too much. I love to cook so I do all kinds of interesting things, but when I started I just did the basics of what I already had or knew how to make. 

Its definitely harder if you are working around other people, but I usually just cook some rice and others can add that to what we are eating. But really, you don’t have to get fancy to do this! It can be fun once you get used to the new way of eating though. Then again some people prefer to keep it really simple long term, so that’s an option too.

i did a bunch of cooking yesterday, so I’ve got a fridge full of compliant foods ready to go. 

How did everyone’s party events go? 

Hi Missi,  Thanks for checking in with me.  I’m still doing it!  I just have to keep it really basic or I will get overwhelmed.  I had a salad with grilled chicken, half an avocado and salsa tonight.  

Do you eat much fruit?  I have had a couple apples and some dried fruit with nuts, but I am trying not to eat too much dried fruit.  Does it matter?  Seems like a lot of sugar.

I did well at my girlfriends party yesterday.  I had the dried fruit and nuts before I left the house and drank seltzer at the party.  Easily said no to everything else.  

Maybe it was the extra hour of sleep, but I feel better already.  

Archived