100% but still hungry???

laura0896

Before I started a WHole30, I was about 75% Paleo so I wasn't suspecting HUGE differences. I have always been extremely fit - but had to stop b/c of injury, which is how I found Paleo... needing to do something!

I have slowly reintroduced exercise in the past 5 weeks. I jog 2-3 times a week and swim 2 times a week .. more or less.

Now I am trying the Whole30 and it's been great. But now 2 weeks into it, I am wondering a few things:

1. the feeling that I was bionic, lasted only 2 days - I still feel stronger, more alert and better use of myself in workouts, but wondering if the bionic feeling comes back?

2. the irritableness took 5 days to hit, and hasn't totally left.

3. I am hungry now starting about after lunch and staying throughout the day. My portions are pretty big, I eat lots of meat, lots of veg and some fruit but after dinner am still hungry. Tonight I ate an additional acorn squash and a handfull of almonds - the almonds filled me up. What's up with that? I am somehow unbalanced? I will sometimes eat protien in all meals, so I don't think I'm not getting enough... same goes for fat... but I'm open to thoughts??~~

4. I haven't slept like a rock in 4 nights. The first week, was unreal & amazing, but then it faded too. ???

HELP... without better sleep and NOT feeling hungry... it's getting HARD not to stray!

:0 Laura

• Moderators

Susan is right. We need a food log to really assess what is going on, but the chances are good you are not eating enough. You might need to eat two palm-size portions of protein at each meal and you probably need to increase the fat you are eating by adding more fatty meats, olives, avocados, coconut milk, etc. You might not feel bionic all the time no matter how perfect your diet, but you should at least be able to live without feeling hungry.

Thanks guys.... Here is today log:

2 Egg omelette with sausage, tomato, onion, spinach, peppers & basil... Yum + pear & orange

Lunch: kale, spinach, onion & ham sauté w garlic + apple

Dinner: bison burger, sweet pot sauté w mushrooms, onions & garlic & A LOT of broccoli

Then... Some other fruit - acorn squash & almonds

I'm not opposed to eating more... But afraid of too much fat in olive oil & coconut oil... Ghee doesn't sauté as well & isn't "wet" enough - food burns. I don't have belly fat and think it could be developing!?!?

Other days look similar except usually have grand salad w chic or tuna for lunch + fruit & maybe nuts

Thx again!!!

Not an expert by any means but the two things that jump out at me are the lack of fat and the amount of fruit and possibly not enough protein. Don't be afraid of fat, it really is your friend. Like a lot of others I totally upped my fat intake when I started W30. I was shocked at the amount and imagined myself ballooning up but it doesn't work like that. You really need at least one to two thumb size portions at each meal as a minimum.

Secondly the sugar in fruit always starts an insulin reaction in me which leaves me hungry. I have to limit the amount I eat and make sure it's buffered with protein and fat. W30 suggests no more than 2 pieces of fruit a day. Personally I find even that amount difficult to deal with.

Unless there was a lot of ham in the lunch saute and a really massive burger for dinner, you could well be short of protein as well. Nothing helps satiate better than protein. I'd suggest trying cutting back on the fruit and definitely increasing the fat and protein. Good luck

I agree with Kirsteen. Fear of fat is natural because that has been pounded into us but you need to shift your thinking on that. You need the fat to become a fat burning machine. I also suggest you cut back on fruit. I know it makes me want more sugar and it makes me hungry. Your mission is more fat and protein and less fruit. :)

• Moderators

I agree with Kirsteen and Susan. Fruit does not satisfy very long and sets you up to feel hungry sooner rather than later. By eating fruit, you crowd other more satisfying foods off your plate. With your breakfast, for example, I would cut the fruit and increase the eggs to 3 or 4 along with a bump up in the veggies you cook with them. And make sure your protein portions are sizable at lunch and dinner.

OK... thank you everyone... rather pleasant guidelines as I love meat & veg. Will cut back fruit and increase the meat, veg & eggs. My protein portions were a little small, I think. This morning: 3 eggs, 2 fistfulls of pork saute w/ onion, basil - looks like I totally forgot the veg. Darn it... in too much of a rush - tommorrow!

;)

A meal that we enjoy a lot and can help you up the veg, are original joes. Basically it is eggs scrambled with left over ground beef, chunked up hamburgers work well too, as well as sausage--sauteed spinach, mushrooms and I like green onions tossed it. I often serve it with cherry/grape tomatoes or just sliced tomatoes for some raw veg. So yummy! Very filling too. It is also one of my toddler's favorite things! He gobbles it up like there is no tomorrow!

A meal that we enjoy a lot and can help you up the veg, are original joes. Basically it is eggs scrambled with left over ground beef, chunked up hamburgers work well too, as well as sausage--sauteed spinach, mushrooms and I like green onions tossed it. I often serve it with cherry/grape tomatoes or just sliced tomatoes for some raw veg. So yummy! Very filling too. It is also one of my toddler's favorite things! He gobbles it up like there is no tomorrow!

WOW! That sounds awesome! I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow!!! Thanks!

Plus one on the fat.... I train at competition levels and the only thing that kept me going was FAT.... coconut milk is your friend... I down an entire can everyday in some form and I eat at least one big avocado per meal.... Almond butter pre every workout.... Add olive oil to all my veg after it comes out of the pan....homemade mayo on everything....

I forget the other post I made. But I eat 3-4 eggs, 3 tbsp almond butter,an avocado and coffee with 1/3 can coconut milk as a pre workout meal and I feel the raging inferno stoked....aka bionic.... :). Oh yeah... My performance is way up and my body fat is wayyyyy down....

I'm having a HORRIBLE time sleeping as well. I'm really not hungry...but based on the above, I suppose it's possible that I'm not eating enough fat and eating too much fruit. I tend to overdo it on the fruit, I think. But honestly, I eat SO much fat! I eat so many nuts!

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

• Moderators

I find an avocado more filling than a handful of nuts. I don't know why, but there is something about nuts that leaves me wanting more, while a handful of olives or some coconut milk, etc. fills me up. If you are getting a lot of your fat from nuts, I would try changing things up and trying some other source of fat.

I've started buying my olive oil from a fancy olive oil tap room. The place sells 20 or 30 varieties of extra virgin olive oil and an equal number of balsamic vinegars. The way you choose is to sip a little of whatever interests you. I probably drink a measure of olive oil the size of my thumb and maybe 1.5 times my thumb every time I go shopping. There are old olive farmers in Italy who swear by chugging a shot of olive oil every day as a tonic. Maybe you should try it. Not with the ordinary olive oil on sale at your local grocery store, but any good stuff you might get your hands on.

I love the olive oil tastings!!! As a chef... Especially when I was at the Ritz Carlton NYC .... We had all kinds of tastings from importers all the time.... Olive oil was a big thing, some would come with 15-20 different veriatals.... Ahh the good old days..

My father in law was from old school Italy... I mean made his own wine,grew his own vegetable,cured his own meats, old school...he to would shoot down an ounce or two of olive oil every day....

When I am able to travel to Italy I go to an olive oil "factory" in the Tuscany region, very small and family owned. I bring back as much of the stuff that I can carry and use it for all my cold oil uses. I noticed a reduction in inflamation before starting Whole30 years ago once I got some of the good oil.

As far as coconut milk goes, does anyone know of any brand that is just coconut milk? All the brands I have seen have guar gum added or something else?

• Moderators

As far as coconut milk goes, does anyone know of any brand that is just coconut milk? All the brands I have seen have guar gum added or something else?

I think you have to crack the coconut yourself to find coconut milk without at least guar gum as an additive. Guar gum is okay during a Whole30.

Ok, this caused lightbulbs to go off in my head! Thanks, Laura, for asking this question and to all those who gave these answers. I did by first Whole30, but it turned out to be a Whole23. Gearing up to do the Whole100. I work out a lot. I am usually do fine at breakfast and lunch, but after dinner is when I usually want to snack. After reading these responses, I know I am not eating enough fat and probably not enough protein either. I will now start adjusting those items and see what kind of results I get. This is exciting! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived