Egg substitute for Sweet Potato Hash recipe?

Blue Sky

I think I got the recipe from some where here on this board for an awesome hash recipe, but I'm realizing that eggs consistently seem to give me dark circles under my eyes. Bummer! They seem to function in terms of holding the hash cake in shape. Any ideas for a substitution that would work? thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I found that 1/4 cup unsweetened Applesauce + 1 tsp Baking Powder can be a binding agent in cooking that can sub in for an egg. Plus the flavors of Salmon and Sweet Potatoes with a touch of apple may not be so bad.

I am going to try it within the next week and report back.

I have a box of "egg replacer" from days of old that is just potato starch. For one egg you use a heaped teaspoon in a couple of tablespoons of water. You could try tapioca starch instead and do the same thing? Otherwise I just grate and fry, just call it deconstructed :)

I use tapioca flour/starch as a coating to fry bananas, and as a thickener when needed. Works very well. I've never tried it as a binding agent but the way it sticks to the bottom of a tupperware when wet makes me think it would work very well for that too.

Archived