Survivor started Nov. 1

Laura H

Hello,

My name is Laura, (I noticed another Laura started the same day as me.) I am officially a cancer survivor and need to change my eating lifestyle in order to fight a chance of reoccurrence. My integrative medicine doctor suggested I read the book, It Starts with Food. So I bought the book on Monday and decided I needed to start November 1 after over-indulging on Halloween candy the day before. I haven't finished the book, but have read enough to know what to avoid and today I am into Day 4! Hurray! My doctor told me in order for this to work successfully it would be best to have my husband on board. As an awesome caregiver, he has agreed and brought all of our dairy products and other perishable items along with strong temptations to our neighbors. When I get home from work we have been cooking together to make some of the meat recipes found in the book. It has been a fun thing to do together and so far we really like the taste of the one recipe and tried it with chicken and pork. We will be trying it with beef this weekend. One thing that struck me in the book was something was said we eat well not just to survive, but to thrive. As everyone knows the big celebratory word with cancer is survivor. I have decided I don't just want to survive, I want to thrive! I believe having this book come across my path is a gift from my Maker's Hand. :)

Laura

You go, girl!  You sound like someone who grabs onto life with both hands. It's hard to imagine you not thriving!  It's great how supportive your husband is. He must treasure you and want you to thrive, too. I think you'll do great at the program!

Thanks Jenney for the encouragement! I notice you are a newbie too! When did you start and how is it going for you? I hope you are thriving too! This is day 11 and still on track. Found a Whole30 Breakfast Pumpkin Bowl recipe to try this morning. Work week was all eggs this week with variations of raw veggies and some fruit. I need to do more exploring on this site. Being into week 2 the most amazing thing is to feel an even amount of energy throughout the day. 

I'm on Day 22. So far so good! I feel really good, too!

I've had an arthritis-like condition in one joint since January: redness, swelling, daily pain. It's been completely pain-free for over a week, now, so yay!

It's too cold for me to stand raw veggies these days, so I'm cooking a ton. I do eat raw fruit like an apple or a few kiwis every day, but raw veggies are just not working for me when I'm shivering!

Keep it up! Almost halfway!

• Moderators
On 11/13/2017 at 10:40 AM, Jenney said:

. I do eat raw fruit like an apple or a few kiwis every day,

hey there!  Make sure that you're eating this fruit with a meal and not on its own as it can keep your sugar cravings alive... also, the recommendation is 0-2 fist sized servings a day so 'a few' kiwis, while delicious might be a bit too much :)

Haha, well, I don't ever eat more than one at once--they're *cold*!--but that is good information to have! I probably do eat two a day when we have them. Good to know to watch out.

I've just been eating mostly vegetables instead of fruit. Fruit is so sweet and I just don't like sweets very much. I had to give away half my honeycrisp apple this week because it was too sweet for me. My four year old was happy to take it off my hands, lol.

Archived