Help me love the sweet potatoes

AmyS

The meatballs using sweet potatoes sound delicious - does anyone have a recipe? Like a SPECIFIC recipe . I seem to be in the minority on this forum, but I need to follow a recipe or things do NOT turn out well.

Taylor posted a recipe a few posts up. :)

That sounds good. Do you cook the sweet potatoes before putting them in the food processor? Also, would it work without almond flour? I'm not expecting to buy any in the near future...

Sorry for the delayed response! I do not cook the sweet potatoes before putting them in the food processor. I just make sure to get them small enough that they will cook in the oven. It really depends on your preference, the smaller the cubes, the faster they will cook. I like my cubes to be a little bigger because I still like having that real sweet potato taste. Since you don't love the taste of sweet potatoes you might want smaller cubes, you may even want to shred the sweet potatoes!

Also, like Robin said, almond flour probably isn't needed. I think the egg and tomato paste do a good enough job binding them. Just a tip, use foil or parchment paper on the cookie sheet or else the meatballs will stick.

• 2 weeks later...

I make breakfast casserole with them. Grate one large sweet potato, add to 12 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup diced onion, and a thawed 10 oz. pkg of frozen chopped spinach (squeeze dry before adding to egg mixture). This is a fluid recipe, depending what else I have on hand. Sometimes I add bacon, sometimes sausage or seasoned ground beef, leftover mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, a chopped Roma tomato, etc. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until center is set.

I always keep the first 4 ingredients, but everything else is subject to improvisation. With the seasonings of your choice, you might never know the sweet potato is in there, except for the color.

Wow, that sweet potato meatball recipe sounds awesome. I will definitely have to try that.

We love sweet potatoes around here. Usually I just wash them, poke holes in them and microwave them for about 10 minutes then just eat them plain. They are also great in the crockpot with a roast and cranberries. We do sweet potato hash as well, in the waffle maker sometimes too so they're extra crispy. Sweet potato fries are awesome too, with some chili powder and pepper.

my fav way to have them is:

cut them super fine like crisps (i use a mandolin) and bake them till nice and crispy, then i dip them in home made wasabi mayo..... I have not had them that way since whole 30, because it is too junk food disguised as paleo compliant for me, but as a side to a salad with chicken breast... perfection! (if wasabi is too intense, i like to make a piquant mayo thing with finely chopped pickled cucumber and dill which would be nice too - great with fish)

Thanks everyone for so many responses! I've been on a spaghetti squash kick recently, but these recipes have me thinking it's time to add in some sweet potatoes for real this time.

Ooo...Amy...try heating your spag squash up and then put a blob of mayo on it and mush around. I don't know what it is about that combo, but it just slays me.

• 2 weeks later...

. Here is my old recipe... http://www.wholelife...d-cranberries/. Lately, I add macadamia nuts and dried cranberries and haven't used coconut flakes in a while. And I eat them cold because I like them best that way. My wife heats them in the microwave.

I had to come back here and RAVE about this!! I remembered this post from awhile back and last night I found cranberries that were sweetened with juice (not sugar). I tossed a few of them and some chopped macadamia nuts on my baked sweet potato and it was FANTASTIC! The tartness of the cranberries cuts the sweetness of the sweet potato perfectly. And the chew (and crunch from the nuts) does the softness of the baked sweet potato true justice. I'm seriously looking forward to eating this again!

My husband thanks you for posting this Tom. He loves baked sweet potatoes but because I never did, he hardly ever got them done that way with dinner. Now he will so that I can put cranberries and macadamia nuts on mine! :D

OOh, if I can ever find compliant dried cranberries, I'm totally trying that ^^^^.

I NEVER liked sweet potatoes (even the "fries"). I've been consistantly adding them to my diet though because I'm on a powerlifting program and I know that they are a great source of carbs for grain-free lifters. I like them roasted tossed in coconut oil, oregano, s&p and red pepper flakes. I've also found a recipe that I LOVE and is so easy. Toss diced sweet potatoes in coconut oil and a balsamic vinegar reduction and roast. They are ooey-gooey delicious!

Archived