Potatoes = Constipation. Other things to avoid?

Hello!

During my last W30, my BMs became pretty annoying, small, and irregular. The wonderful W30 forum moderators helped me figure out it was likely from overdoing it on white potatoes (I had them almost every day) but by the time we figured it out, I wasn’t able to eliminate them consistently enough during the rest of that W30 to see positive improvement. As I prepare for my pre-Thanksgiving W21 (starting today!), I’m planning to avoid white potatoes almost entirely. I’m wondering though if there are other things I should avoid if white potatoes give me this kind of trouble or if it’s unique to white potatoes. Do sweet potatoes have the same side effects? Are there other W30 foods I should maybe try to avoid? My greatest struggles are around digestion - I’ve struggled with constipation, hemorrhoids, and bloating for years. 

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks! 

Emily 

• Moderators

Hey Emily!! Nice to see you back from your world travels!

So starches in general when consumed in large quantities are going to cause constipation.  We recommend (as I'm sure you know) a fist sized serving to start and then increase from there if you are an athlete, extremely active or prone to mood disorders.  That said, you can kind of combat the whole constipation side effect of starches by eating a LOT of other veggies... green veggies, salad greens and other heartier greens... that and drinking lots of water should keep things moving, so if you know you're going to come up on a starch heavy couple of days, try keeping that in mind.  Otherwise a fist sized serving of starchy veggies (and try and switch it up for more nutrient variety instead of just white potato) shouldn't really back you up...

Also, trying to remember what I should consider starchy. Any potato and most of the fall squashes, right? (acorn, butternut, etc). But summer (tube/oblong-shaped?) squashes like zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, etc. would not be starchy. I need some sort of squash rule - like, if it can stand up, it's starchy and if it can't, it's not, or something. :lol:

What about fruit? Bananas are obviously starchy, but what about peaches or strawberries? (frozen this time of year, of course). 

Sorry... just trying to think through what I have prepped at home and the answer is basically: SWEET POTATOES. *facepalm*

Thanks for your time! I don't have another place to bounce this off of right now. 

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

Also, trying to remember what I should consider starchy. Any potato and most of the fall squashes, right? (acorn, butternut, etc). But summer (tube/oblong-shaped?) squashes like zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, etc. would not be starchy. I need some sort of squash rule - like, if it can stand up, it's starchy and if it can't, it's not, or something. :lol:

What about fruit? Bananas are obviously starchy, but what about peaches or strawberries? (frozen this time of year, of course). 

Sorry... just trying to think through what I have prepped at home and the answer is basically: SWEET POTATOES. *facepalm*

Thanks for your time! I don't have another place to bounce this off of right now. 

Always happy to help of course!

You're right, summer squash (zuke, spagetti, yellow) are not considered starchy... 

Fruits are generally not considered starchy but this article might help 

Starchy Fruits List
When talking about fruits high in starch, the first fruit that comes to the mind is a banana. A banana contains high amounts of starch and hence, it is recommended to consume only one banana a day. Following is a list of other fruits that contain starch. Some of the fruits in the list may be popularly tagged as vegetables but botanically, they are fruits.
Breadfruit
Plantain
Peanuts
Winter squash
Pumpkin
Figs
Sapota / Sapodilla / Chikoo
Water chestnut
Raisins
Plums
Among the list, fruits belonging to the banana family like plantain and banana (ripe or green) contain high amounts of starch. Ripe apples also contain traces of starch but more of glucose. Similarly, avocados also contain small amounts of starch.
Read more at Buzzle: https://www.buzzle.com/articles/starchy-fruits.html

Archived