Running out of fridge space! What do you do?

I went shopping yesterday, and as usual, the kitchen table has to hold the excess veggies until we either use them up or use up others and find room in the fridge! I had some kale turn yellow on me last week as I just couldn't find any room in the fridge for it.

We're a family of four with a "normal" North American sized fridge. I keep onions, sweet potatoes and squashes in a basket, and fruit in bowls (apples, oranges and bananas).

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Full disclosure: I have children who will not give up their milk and cheese and ketchup and other things which are not strictly on plan, so maybe our situation is atypical.

you may want to go shopping twice a week since you're already keeping all of the fruit/veggies out that you can :( right now it's just me and my husband and our fridge is pretty full... I imagine once we have kids that our fridge will be super full >_o Also, if you haven't already.. you might want to go through the fridge and make sure that there aren't any expired condiments taking up space that you could otherwise use (I'm totally guilty of this >_<) :)

We fill two refrigerators. I buy produce two to three times a week. We also have a freezer full of meat and frozen veggies. It's crazy the amount of food four kids and three adults put away. My pantry has become back up storage for the foods I can. Much more shelf space now that we aren't buying so much processed food. We still have more than I would like, but I'm transitioning my kids to paleo eating. We have seen some great improvements in their food choices and appetites with the changes we have made so far.

Ugh I hear ya! We have a standard fridge and small bar fridge and I still have to play a wicked game of fridge tetris twice a week to make everything fit! We shop twice a week and I am consistently amazed at how much food 2 tiny little girls can pack away. I bet they eat as much if not more than husband and I.

I try to prep veggies as soon as we get them so they aren't all awkward and large (celery I'm looking at you :ph34r: ) but I did have some green beans go slimy on me because they got buried under the peppers.

And when I did my compliant clean out I was amazed at how many expired condiments I was hoarding...oops!

We have W30P (Whole30 problems)

We have precisely this problem.

A)I got some plastic dish washing tub things to help me organize! I have one for "raw veg" that we use for lunches, snacks, salads, etc, one for "cooking veg" and until we moved to a place with a smaller fridge, one for pre-portioned snack fruits and veg for the kiddos.

2) I make it a point to cut, portion and repackage all my veg when I get them. I find that they fit better in uniformly sized containers and in gallon bags (broccoli and cauliflower florets, cleaned and cut brussels sprouts) than they do in whole form.

• 3 weeks later...

I cut things up and use ziplock bags as well. I also prep and freeze a lot when I go shopping. I have the added benefit of an unheated pantry that serves as a cold storage for some things, but by next summer I'm probably going to have to invest in another fridge or another freezer.

There are 4 adults here plus it seems I'm feeding extras on a regular basis, so we go through a lot of food.

There are just two of us, and even with two fridges (admittedly they're British-size ones so not that big) and a cold room / larder we pack them both out even without being on W30.

Before we moved and got such a fantastic amount of storage space, we used to keep things in the shed in winter. A little inconvenient, but plenty cold enough until you have space in the fridge!

Archived