SWYPO - deviled eggs and other things

msmirnio

Folks,

Are deviled eggs considered SWYPO during your Whole30?

And while I'm here...

What about Brussle sprout "chips"?

Spaghetti squash and compliant tomato-sauce?

I'm not talking about making paleo cookies with almond flour, ghee and cocoa powder sweetened with fruit juice (ha) but I would love to hear some other foods that seem innocent but are actually SWYPO and a no-no during your Whole30

Thank you!

Sounds awesome to me!!!! I think SWYPO is anything that specifically triggers you in an emotional way to really crave an unhealthy food choice or to eat an unhealthy amount.... For me hazelnut butter just blows my mind and its way to much like the sensation of sitting on the couch and downing an entire jar of peanut butter... So hazelnut butter is out for me...

I made deviled eggs tonight before I even saw this post! I experimented a little and they were delicious. I used homemade mayo, smoked paprika, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and...drumroll...crumbled bacon! Does everyone know that trick? I don't often make these so it was news to me and it was amazing.

Also...I mangled half my eggs trying to peel them and I did some googling and found this...wonder if it works?? http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/07/02/how-to-peel-hard-boiled-eggs-without-peeling/

I made deviled eggs tonight before I even saw this post! I experimented a little and they were delicious. I used homemade mayo, smoked paprika, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and...drumroll...crumbled bacon! Does everyone know that trick? I don't often make these so it was news to me and it was amazing.

Also...I mangled half my eggs trying to peel them and I did some googling and found this...wonder if it works?? http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/07/02/how-to-peel-hard-boiled-eggs-without-peeling/

Johnny, the fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel. I always grab my oldest carton before I play around with hard boiling.

In addition to using older eggs (that sounds wrong, but I digress), here is how I cook HB eggs and they are easy to peel!

Put your eggs in cold water with at least 2 inches of water above.

Set on high and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute, then cover and remove from heat for 13 minutes.

After they are done, drain (carefully!!) and then cover in cold water and LOADS of ice. This is generally how I clean out the ice in my freezer. :)

When you peel them, whack them on the fatter end (the non pointy end? How on earth does one describe this) and this helps with the peeling.

I have seen eggs hard "boiled" in the oven, I have tried steaming them, but this seems to work the best.

In addition to using older eggs (that sounds wrong, but I digress), here is how I cook HB eggs and they are easy to peel!

Set on high and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute, then cover and remove from heat for 13 minutes.

After they are done, drain (carefully!!) and then cover in cold water and LOADS of ice. This is generally how I clean out the ice in my freezer. :)

When you peel them, whack them on the fatter end (the non pointy end? How on earth does one describe this) and this helps with the peeling.

I have seen eggs hard "boiled" in the oven, I have tried steaming them, but this seems to work the best.

Oh yeah! I forgot that part! Flashing them with cold water (or ice) also helps.

LOL...the fatter, non pointy end....LOVES IT! I totally knew what you were talking about

oooooo devilled eggs.

and what in the world is brussels sprout chips?

Jo - peel the "leaves" off of each brussle sprout down to the middle as much as possible. Rinse and dry. Toss with olive oil, salt and vinegar, cook at either 375 for 10-15 of 350 for 15-20 depending on your oven - they cook fairly quickly so watch out!

Thank you all for your comments! I shall go forth with my deviled egg quest - maybe even mixing it up with some avocado and bacon!

(haha speaking of Whole30 food pyramids...)

Archived