Stomach Issues - BM, Heartburn, Nausea

Hi, 

I am on day 10 of the Whole 30. My stomach has been a mess. I feel physically fine but I am constantly nauseous and have the worst heart burn ever. My BMs, which before the Whole 30 were at the same exact time every day twice a day -- now happen maybe every other day. I read that it could be the potatoes I am eating but I exercise for a couple hours a day - I have to have carbs somehow. I also read it could be not having enough fat -- but I have PLENTY of fat. I am so tired of my stomach being 100 times worse than before I started. 

Any suggestions?!

Caroline 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, carmallen said:

Hi, 

I am on day 10 of the Whole 30. My stomach has been a mess. I feel physically fine but I am constantly nauseous and have the worst heart burn ever. My BMs, which before the Whole 30 were at the same exact time every day twice a day -- now happen maybe every other day. I read that it could be the potatoes I am eating but I exercise for a couple hours a day - I have to have carbs somehow. I also read it could be not having enough fat -- but I have PLENTY of fat. I am so tired of my stomach being 100 times worse than before I started. 

Any suggestions?!

Caroline 

Aside from the fact you eat an unspecified amount of potatoes and fat, you've not given us any information to go off of to make suggestions.  If you would like directed feedback, please list out what you've been eating for two or three days including specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, portion sizes related to the template, pre and post workout meals, fluid intake and anything else that may be relevant (existing medical conditions, high levels of stress etc)

Friday - Breakfast -  smoothie with strawberries, mango, almond butter (just almonds), cashew keifer and coconut milk

Lunch - Romaine lettuce, plain tuna, avocado, olive oil and salt

Dinner - Cauliflower rice, 1 beet, 1/2 sweet potato, roasted chicken, no sugar added chorizo, cilantro dressing (olive oil, cilantro and garlic)

Saturday - Breakfast - half a russet potato, no sugar added bacon, egg, avocado

Lunch - Sweet potato with almond butter and blueberries

During workout snack - cherry pie larabar 

Dinner - Burger patty, cabbage kimchi (cabbage + vinegar + ginger), roasted russet potatoes

Sunday - breakfast no sugar added bacon, half a potato, egg, avocado + same smoothie as friday morning

Lunch - ate on the trail - almonds, apple pie larabar, not sweetened dried mango

Dinner - Curry - all the curry spices, coconut milk, chicken, sweet potatoes, bell peppers

Monday - breakfast - same smoothie as Friday (I have been having these smoothies for 3 years, I know its not them), apple pie larabar as snack (work days start at 6 am and I don't have lunch until 12 - I need snacks)

Lunch - left over curry

Dinner - one whole beet, steak, avocado

Tuesday- breakfast - left over steak with an egg on it

• Moderators

Smoothies are discouraged as they are sugar bombs first thing in the am. See this excerpt from the Whole30 can I have guide below:

I suspect you're nauseous because you're not eating enough... a sweet potato with almond butter and blueberries is missing protein and non starchy veggies... fruit and nuts are also discouraged and do not fit the template.

Lara bars are for emergencies only (like you dig it out of the bottom of your bag after you've been sitting on the tarmac for hours and have eaten all your compliant snacks).  You've eaten 3 in 3 days.  If you need to eat between meals we recommend fat and protein so maybe a hard boiled egg and mayo or some chicken and guacamole... 

Some of your meals are just protein (steak with an egg - missing fat and veggies), some of your meals are missing fat (burger patty, kimchi, potato).

I would encourage you to take another look at the template below in my signature and make all three meals a day match the template to get you 4-5 hours between.  You may also want to back down the starchy carbs (beets, potato, sweet potato) to one fist sized serving a day and see if that helps, but if you don't eat enough, there's not enough in your system to form a proper bowel movement so it's not that surprising that you're not having them daily.  Nuts can also back you up fiercly and you do have a lot of nuts/nut products listed as well.  Our recommendation on nuts is one closed handful a day every other day 'at MOST' so that's about 6 almonds... 
I would say your heartburn may be from under eating as well but honestly it would be better if you ate per the template for a week or so and got that under control and then see what is still bothering you.

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Archived