What do I do with winter squashes?

ladyhoward

I would like to try something other than sweet potatoes for my starchy veggie at lunch time. However, I'm pretty new to veggies such as squash. How can I prepare them? Think simple please :). Also, I'd like ideas on what I could do with canned pumpkin also since I do like the taste of it, but I can't just eat it plain (not crazy about the texture).

Sharon puts canned pumpkin in her chili. I think that sounds so good. I forgot to try it the last time I made chili but my can is at the ready now. :) Renee is right..roasting is easy and so good. I warm up coconut oil or ghee and toss the squash in it. Salt, pepper and a little cinnamon if you'd like.

Okay, here's the deal for most winter squashes. Acorn and butternut are both easy-peasy! Spaghetti squash is a fun noodle-like thing, just take a fork and pull the "noodles" out when cooked.

Would you prefer oven or microwave?

Oven:

Preheat to 350. Put whole squash in for 20 minutes. Take out squash (with oven mitts!) and slice in half. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Alternately, you can save them for roasting -- more on that later.

Place cut squash, flat side down, on baking sheet. Sprinkle water around each half and place back in the oven, approx. 40 minutes or so.

Alternately, you can peel and cut into cubes and roast, about 30 minutes. Or, cut into quarters, wrap in foil, place on cookie sheet and bake 60 mins.

Microwave:

Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and place cut side down in baking dish with a little water. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave 10-12 minutes.

Thanks everyone! This gives me some good ideas. I think I just need to tell myself that it's no different than working with a sweet potato (just bigger) - whatever I make that would call for a sweet potato(s), I could just substitute winter squash instead to change it up. That would work, right?

yes, that would work!

My favorite way, which couldn't be easier, to make acorn squash is to stab it several times with a knife, put it on a cookie sheet, and place it in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or so. You will know it is done when you push on it and it gives.

Let it cool for 15 minutes and slice it in half, scoop out the seeds and put the rest in a container. Then whenever you want some carby deliciousness, scoop some onto a plate, mash it up with a fork, throw it in the microwave for 1.5 mins and then sprinkle with cinnamon and spread with melty coconut butter.

This is literally my favorite veggie, maybe even food. Enjoy!

I could live off of butternut squash. I like to cook a big one on a Sunday night than have it with lunch all week. Typically, I cut it in half and bake it in the oven for about 45 minutes, then sit it on the counter to cook. I then peel it out of the skin and throw it in a pot, add some coconut milk, and mash it up. Add some (compliant) butter and salt, and you're good to go!

I've also made it with sage or rosemary, both delicious options as well (typically I peel and dice it first, then roast it in the oven with the spices until it's soft)

• 3 weeks later...

yes, that would work!

My favorite way, which couldn't be easier, to make acorn squash is to stab it several times with a knife, put it on a cookie sheet, and place it in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or so. You will know it is done when you push on it and it gives.

Let it cool for 15 minutes and slice it in half, scoop out the seeds and put the rest in a container. Then whenever you want some carby deliciousness, scoop some onto a plate, mash it up with a fork, throw it in the microwave for 1.5 mins and then sprinkle with cinnamon and spread with melty coconut butter.

This is literally my favorite veggie, maybe even food. Enjoy!

thanks Rachel

I've never cooked acorn squash this way, (usually baked it with butter and sugar and cinnamon before this Whole30)

sounds good, that's what I cooking for dinner tonight

Archived