crashing during my workout (=_=)

KatieOz

While I know my body is still adjusting to the lack of grains... I'm struggling to get through my workout. I have eggs (with peppers) and a banana for breakfast with a cup of green tea around 9:30-10 (I work late so that's my early morning) and I usually hit the gym during my lunchbreak around 12:30. I work out pretty hard for 50 min - 30 min strength training and then 20 of interval running. Before I started the whole30 I would be hungry at the end of my workout but not usually dizzy hungry (I'm not a diabetic but I am VERY aware when my blood sugar plummets- I get nauseous, dizzy and feel really weak). Toward the end of my strength training session I was feeling weaker than normal... had to cut my running session short... I was getting really weak and knew I needed to eat like... now. I also got a wicked pain in my stomach (like a cramp but in the center, up and just under my rib cage.)

Any advice on what I can eat before hand to help me power through?

Maybe try more starch carbs with your breakfast and definitely more veggies and greens with breakfast. I personally need 2 cups of a mix of starchy and green veggies with my breakfast or I can feel woozy (I too am acutely aware of my blood sugar levels). Sweet potatoes or squash and wilted spinach would be my recommendation.

Thanks MJam! I'm not a huge fan of spinach... I can tolerate baby spinach in a salad, but I hate it with a fiery passion when it's wilted or cooked in any way (seriously... if a single bit of it touches my plate god help the person who put it there :D). I'll have to find another veggie I can stomach in the am ;) I'll add some sweet potatoes then too :D thanks for the help!!

Thanks Robin!

I eat a pretty large lunch and supper.. but have always had small apetite at breakfast. What I eat now is more than I've ever had for breakfast so it's going to be an adjustment >_o On top of sweet potatoes, I'll try raw veggies, I might be able to stomach those more if they're not too heavy :)

I've posted my success in numerous posts.... I save the starchy carbs for postWO and meals one and two.... Early morning PreWo I eat eggs,avocado,coconut milk in my coffee and some almond butter..... When your body makes the change from burning carbs to being fat adapted you get serious power.... I can do all out efforts with little recovery for about 40 min befor crashing... 70-90% max heart rate ....all day long if need be.... I was doing the banana thing and crashing fast also....

Everyone's different.... It's worth a try.

Fenderbender is on track with the almond butter...I have been having some really great & successful training early am...with only coconut milk in my coffee, and sunbutter (get the kind minus the cane syrup)...and my training is between 45-65 minutes (occasionally a HIIT of 15-30)...I was feeling exactly like you described during my first w30...but took the advice above; and haven't had any of that going on this time around!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a newbie, starting my first Whole 30 challenge tomorrow. Prepped my meals til Saturday. I am training for my first ultra-marathon 50k and I do weight training as well. My pre-run meal was a PureFit bar, but it's not approved during the 30days, so what do you all suggest? Also, instead of GU or stingers, what can I eat to help give me fuel during the long runs? I have always drank electrolytes & protein shakes, and now during the 30days I can't, so I feel lost. Thanks for you help! :)

Boiled eggs and nuts work for me. I havent yet tried straight fats in the morning - sounds like a good idea (coconut oil/ghee). Day3-14 I really struggled with energy for workouts but after that I havent had a problem unless I have had coffee in the morning - then I get shaky during a long run no matter how many hours after - blood sugar crash?

I do the boiled eggs and nuts too...but for longer events, I actually take small packets of guacamole and thin sliced rare roast beef. I did an 8-hr event my last Whole30 and was really nervous that I would bonk, but these things held me together. The last half hour was miserable due to leg cramping, but that was a hydration issue. Typically, I will have a large sweet potato the night before the event and then go crazy with the above before and during. It seems to work for me. Before I figured that out, I was having the bonks and the dizzies while racing and it was awful. I hope this helps! :-)

I do the boiled eggs and nuts too...but for longer events, I actually take small packets of guacamole and thin sliced rare roast beef. I did an 8-hr event my last Whole30 and was really nervous that I would bonk, but these things held me together. The last half hour was miserable due to leg cramping, but that was a hydration issue. Typically, I will have a large sweet potato the night before the event and then go crazy with the above before and during. It seems to work for me. Before I figured that out, I was having the bonks and the dizzies while racing and it was awful. I hope this helps! :-)

Thanks! I don't know how my stomach will digest boiled eggs & Almonds during my long runs, but I'll give it a try. Nervous. Much appreciated info.

If your gonna do nuts...whole foods sells little 2 oz packets of compliant nut butters....that will probably go down a lot easier than chewing,digesting whole nuts.... Just be carful as it tends to get a bit "flemmy" at the back of your throat especially if your breathing hard

if your doing an "ultra" you may want to consider a baggy full of cut up dried figs and cubed roasted sweet potato.... I do suggest trying some of these out on training runs before the main event to see how we'll you preform/ tolerate these foods....

If your gonna do nuts...whole foods sells little 2 oz packets of compliant nut butters....that will probably go down a lot easier than chewing,digesting whole nuts.... Just be carful as it tends to get a bit "flemmy" at the back of your throat especially if your breathing hard

if your doing an "ultra" you may want to consider a baggy full of cut up dried figs and cubed roasted sweet potato.... I do suggest trying some of these out on training runs before the main event to see how we'll you preform/ tolerate these foods....

Thanks for the advice. I'll swing by Whole Foods to find these 2oz nut butters, do you know the brand name? if not no worries. I will test these out on my longer runs this weekend :)

Artisana brand almond butteris the one I've been getting in the 1.19 oz pkgs....(careful as the also have a almond-honey flavor)

WF also has all natural fruit strips called stretch island fruit and GoGo squeeze apple sauce in little 2.5 oz packs..... I know a couple of ultra runners on whole 30 who use all three long runs ..... Hope this helps. :)

I used to have days where I felt nauseous, dizzy, weak, and see little birdies flying overhead. Turned out my electrolyte levels (mainly sodium) were low. When you lose a significant amount of glycogen, you lose a significant amount of water, and with that, comes a loss in sodium. If you have lost a lot of weight, you have likely lost a lot of sodium. And insufficient sodium leads to the exact same symptoms as described above. I now drink a cup of broth a day to replace lost sodium that I excrete in sweat during my strengh-training workouts. The little birdies flying overhead haven't returned since.

Artisana brand almond butteris the one I've been getting in the 1.19 oz pkgs....(careful as the also have a almond-honey flavor)

WF also has all natural fruit strips called stretch island fruit and GoGo squeeze apple sauce in little 2.5 oz packs..... I know a couple of ultra runners on whole 30 who use all three long runs ..... Hope this helps. :)

Thanks a bunch! Helped greatly. On a mission to find that Almond Butter packs. Only found the jars at Mothers Market. Checking Whole Foods tonight.

Looking forward to testing these out.

Thanks a bunch! Helped greatly. On a mission to find that Almond Butter packs. Only found the jars at Mothers Market. Checking Whole Foods tonight.

Looking forward to testing these out.

While not whole30.... Loren Cordain has a great book called "Paleo for athletes" that has a ton of great info on the how's,when's,and why's to fuel for distance events..... No reason you couldn't be able to adapt most of the principles into whole30 lifestyle .... Might be worth the read

Archived