Thickening agents

*KG

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, *KG said:

Are arrowroot powder and almond flour the only thickening agents we can use on Whole30?

Almond flour is probably not going to thicken anything... arrowroot and tapioca starch are common, potato starch might work but I've never tried that (I've tried the arrowroot and tapioca).  Don't use these 1:1 for cornstarch becasue they get a bit weird at higher concentrations but I just made a favorite, Pork Adobo and used arrowroot and it thickened up nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 8:17 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Almond flour is probably not going to thicken anything... arrowroot and tapioca starch are common, potato starch might work but I've never tried that (I've tried the arrowroot and tapioca).  Don't use these 1:1 for cornstarch becasue they get a bit weird at higher concentrations but I just made a favorite, Pork Adobo and used arrowroot and it thickened up nicely.

Oh gee, almond flour won't? It's so hard to find arrowroot flour but you think that's the best, then? And what, a coupla tablespoons for a big toureen or a slow cooker recipe?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, *KG said:

Oh gee, almond flour won't? It's so hard to find arrowroot flour but you think that's the best, then? And what, a coupla tablespoons for a big toureen or a slow cooker recipe?

Almond flour is basically just gritty nuts... a couple of tablespoons is a lot... I would do same as cornstarch and put it in cold water, stir it around until it makes a milky mixture and then add it gradually, waiting to see how it thickens before adding more.  

Archived