Chicken bone broth

SCrames

I always make mine in the slow cooker. Stovetop is good too but I just enjoy tossing everything into the slow cooker and walking away. I like taking an onion, two carrots and two celery stalks. I rough chop them, toss with olive oil and put them on a cookie sheet. Cook for about 20 minutes in a 400-425 degree oven. You want them to get sweet and caramelized. Toss everything in the slow cooker. Set it on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. The last two hours I toss in 2 bay leaves, a couple sprigs of thyme and about 10 whole peppercorns. Dried thyme works fine too. Then I strain it and degrease it and down the hatch it goes.

Super easy.... cut up 2 carrots into big chunks, 2 stalks of celery the same, 1 medium onion cut up, 5 cloves of garlic, put the carcass and bones in the crock pot 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 2 tbsps of raw apple cider vinegar poured over the bones and 10 peppercorns. Fill crockpot with water and put on low for 8-12 hours.... not longer....the fat in chicken is high in PUFAs and you dont want to eat compromised fat.

After the time is up strain it and store it in the fridge. I *just* maed a chicken bone broth and it's a good way to use the carcass but I MUCH prefer beef bone broth. Check out my blog, I post about bone broth frequently. I am addicted to it and am sipping on some right now actually.

I always make mine in the slow cooker. Stovetop is good too but I just enjoy tossing everything into the slow cooker and walking away. I like taking an onion, two carrots and two celery stalks. I rough chop them, toss with olive oil and put them on a cookie sheet. Cook for about 20 minutes in a 400-425 degree oven. You want them to get sweet and caramelized. Toss everything in the slow cooker. Set it on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. The last two hours I toss in 2 bay leaves, a couple sprigs of thyme and about 10 whole peppercorns. Dried thyme works fine too. Then I strain it and degrease it and down the hatch it goes.

Haha great minds Susan!

I make mine on the stovetop in a big stock pot with carrots, celery, onions, vinegar, bones -- chicken feet are supposedly critical to good chicken bone broth and I keep a bunch in the freezer -- and parsley for the last ten minutes. Basically, it's the recipe from Nourishing Traditions.

But I'm wondering if anyone uses carrot greens in their stock?

http://thenourishingcook.com/go-primal-stock-up-on-stock/

Robin, you are so not a cave woman when it comes to poultry. :)

Silk, Julia Childs always used chicken feet and one beef marrow bone in her chicken stock. I forgot about the marrow bone trick but I think I'll pass on the feet. I am squeemish about human feet let alone looking at chicken feet.

Yeah, you guys are way cooler than me. I can barely cook a whole chicken, let alone think about its feet, without ralphing.

One day I'll be a grown up.

I grew up with chicken feet being added to stuff, like chicken and rice. My Mom uses them to make the stock when she makes chicken and dumplings and there are times my Dad will smoke them to toss into greens like collards, mustard, turnips.. etc etc. :) Don't pass on the feet! You eat animal organs for goodness sake, give the feet a try. :D

Chicken feet, while immensely creepy simmering away on the stovetop, make THE most amazing broth. I simmered a full pound of feet in with a chicken carcass. I leave my pot of stock on the stovetop for a week on end. (As long as you bring the temperature up each day any icky creatures are kept at bay.) The result is an amazingly rich...shall we say chicken jelly. All that lovely collagen in the feet comes out to play.

This may sound nasty, but truly, it's condensed happiness. I have several mason jars of this in my fridge and just scoop out as much as I want for whatever I'm cooking. I'll thin it out with water to make soup and then just add whatever veg and meats I feel like.

I currently have a batch of beef broth going using cow hooves. You want to talk about creeping out?! I browned them in a cast iron pan in the oven before simmering. Then, i used the fat from the browning process to cook up some broccoli. Yum.

Okay, I will tell my chicken feet story. My husband and daughters and I went to Chinatown in Portland for Sunday Dim Sum. As the servers walked around with their yummy carts we loaded up with yummy food. One sweet Asian lady asked us if we wanted "chicken fig". Oh yum..chicken and figs in a dumpling is what I pictured. Um..replace the word fig with feet. I swear I remember seeing toe nails. Blech.

Ive been making pot after pot of chicken bone broth. If we have a whole chicken, I'll use the carcass and add a small package of wings. I've had the best success and best tasting broth using wings. I haven't been able to find feet yet. I'm not close to any Asian markets, also, I always boil the bones at least twice. The second batch isn't as gelatinous but still tastes good. I put it in the crock pot and cook at least 12 plus hours. I only add veggies at the end or sometimes only garlic cloves.

Bone broth is really the fast track to gut healing. It's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts are that I can send this to work with my husband and he can have a cup or two of bone broth throughout the day. Yeah, I am thinking about buying two more slow cookers so that I can have two types of broth going at once while dinner cooks in the third. Imagine the convenience of plopping those into a steaming cup of hot water and having something nutritional to drink if you are away from home.

Indeed, you need them, I know I do.. everyone should need them. That's my logic and I am sticking to it. Also she has some interesting recipes that could totally be fixed to be Whole 30.

I thought this was neat too, although I am not sure I will try it, but it gives me pause to think. I could see tossing some into a cup of bone broth and letting it steep for a few minutes before drinking. She describes it as powder but the picture show it looks more like dried herbs. Of course I am against drinking your food, but in bone broth it might be a good idea for extra flavor? I dunno... I think I am going over the deep end and may need some help.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/green-veggie-powder/

I have vowed to buy less in grocery stores this year and I am going to start with drying my own herbs, making jerky for me and my furries and other dried items, like veggies and fruits.

Love the sounds of the veggie powder. I see it as a flavor enhancer not a replacement for veggies. Also a great way to use up the billions of greens from csa deliveries.

I am going to get another crockpot too. How long will you do your beef stock? She said 10 hours on the stove so 20 in the crockpot? I love sticking mine outside on my balcony. Otherwise my little condo gets too brothy smelling.

I usually cook beef broth for 24 hours and chicken for 12 in the slow cooker. Good idea about the balcony, maybe I will try that but I love the smell of simmering broth, although I guess with two slow cookers, placing one on the balcony might be ideal. Hmm next stop will be finding a dehydrator. I'm chomping at the bits to get started on new projects. :)

I have one that I got from amazon. I forget the brand but I do wish I had gotten the square one instead of the round one. Excalibur is supposed to be the best but it was too spendy. I love making beef jerky but it's a no brakes food for me. I will go find the one on amazon and let you know.

Archived