Day 20 - my stomach is a mess

Stacie365

I'm on day 20 and my stomach is bloated and constipated. I felt the best on day 2.  I think that I actually felt tiger blood on the second day, but since then, have felt worse.

Here is what I typically eat. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. There have been a few days where my stomach has hurt so bad that I've had to lie down and do deep breathing. I am starting to lose my appetite and am considering going to the doctors.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, spinach, tomatoes, avocado, sweet potato

Lunch - salmon (baked w/ 1tsp olive oil & lemon), roasted potatoes, broccoli

Dinner - chicken (baked w/ 1 tsp olive oil), kale salad w/ cucumber, beets, tomatoes, red pepper, olive oil, and fresh lemon. Sometimes add a potato.

**I used to add a snack with almonds and coconut, but recently cut this out.

**Also, a few times I've eatten RX bars when I'm on the go (the ones that are Whole 30 approved).

Any advise would be helpful.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Okay first, the stomach pains that require laying down and deep breathing are something you should definitely have checked by your doctor, that's pretty unusual for a Whole30.

I honestly don't think you're eating enough, evidenced by the snacking.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... I'm sure you can hold more than two.

You also have no added fat in your lunch or dinner... cooking fat is generally not counted as much of it stays in the pan or cooks off... even if it was counted, 1 tsp is barely a drop.

How much salad was that dinner?  Like a dinner plate piled high?  salad greens (even heartier ones ) need to be in quite a volume to fil you up and while it's great that you added more veggies to it, I picture either a robust salad filling your plate, or a little pile of greens with a few dices of each thing you listed... if it's the latter, that's definitely not enough.

Are you constipated or do you think it's possible that you're just not going as much because you're not eating enough volume to move things through your digestive tract at a daily rate?  I would also slow down on the starchy carbs which can cause constipation... every meal is a lot - we suggest starting at one fist sized serving a day and moving up from there... more for people who are very active, people who have concerns with mood disorders, women on or near their period.  May turn out you do best with three meals a day but you could try cutting that back and replacing with non starchy veg and see how that helps... those non starchy veg are what give the fibre to keep things moving.

Thank you for these suggestions.  I will definitely add more non-starchy veggies to my meals.  I also read that potatoes can back you up and I've been eating a lot of them. Below are some pics with the portion sizes.  Maybe I'm not eating enough? Also, do you have a list of non-starchy veggies?

Thanks so much!

Pic 1- two eggs, spinach, sweet potatoes, mushrooms

Pc 2-  Chicken breast salad w/ kale, cucumber, sweet potato, red pepper, tomatoes. Olive oil and lemon dressing 

Pic 3- one egg, beets, spinach, sweet potato, olive oil

Pic 4 - kale salad, sweet potato, beets, red pepper, cucumber (I added hamburger patty for protein)

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

• Moderators

Okay so you're definitely not eating enough.  I couldn't even count a dozen pieces of chopped up chicken in that salad... the actual salad/veggie portion looked good but not enough protein.  Also, eggs are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... one is not sufficient.  Beets are also a starchy carb so in that one meal you have two... you can find good lists on the internet for starchy and non starchy veggies, just make sure you skip any beans, legumes or corn/peas that are listed as they would not be compliant with the program.

The rule of thumb for salad greens is to do the measure of what they would be cooked down... so one cup of spinach or kale should be estimated as one cup of cooked spinach or kale - you'll be selling yourself extremely short if you do your estimations with raw quantities of these as they chew/cook down to almost nothing.

Take another look at the meal template (linked in my signature below) and try and make each meal match, I think you'll feel a lot better in a short time if you do that and also ease up on the starch.

Thank you so much! Yup, I was definitely not eating enough.  I ate a huge dinner last night, and I feel so much better today. I'm used to eating six small meals a day, so these meals feel extremely large. Just something to get used to. Really appreciate the info. All the best! :)

• Moderators
Just now, Stacie365 said:

Well, I spoke too soon. Last night while I was sleeping, my stomach hurt again and woke me up.  Do you think it might be a food allergy? 

It would be hard for me to say but I don't think it's a normal reaction and I would encourage you to go see your doctor.

Archived