Second Attempt.

PaleoTori

Stick around!

I'm no expert, but I wonder if you're craving carbs 'cause you need 'em. How do you feel about adding in spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, acorn squash, etc. to your meals? And how about avocados? I know you deal with some larger issues than just ordinary cravings, but I wonder if you're eating enough. Sometimes cravings actually mean you're hungry. Not always, of course. But worth considering...

Brush your teeth, go sleep, and get up and eat some yummy stuff with plenty of protein, fat, and starchy veg tomorrow. You got this.

Just went off Whole 30 and ate a piece of pizza. Starting again tomorrow. I considered just disappearing from here but I'd rather keep trying instead.

Good for you, coming back! We're here for ya!

Kids wanting what's on your plate? Mine are 7 and (almost) 9, and my youngest still does this. We play "trade" -- I give her a bite off my plate, and get a bite off of hers. That way we are both eating! ;)

Cravings... Oooh, the awful battle! You need to find a strategy that works for you. Some find eating a compliant substitute works, others ignoring or misdirection. Oddly enough, a sweet craving can be circumvented by something sour -- try a pickle or an olive! I know, it sounds weird... But it works!

Hang in there, come here and share, and most important: (((hugs)))

Stick around!

I'm no expert, but I wonder if you're craving carbs 'cause you need 'em. How do you feel about adding in spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, acorn squash, etc. to your meals? And how about avocados? I know you deal with some larger issues than just ordinary cravings, but I wonder if you're eating enough. Sometimes cravings actually mean you're hungry. Not always, of course. But worth considering...

Brush your teeth, go sleep, and get up and eat some yummy stuff with plenty of protein, fat, and starchy veg tomorrow. You got this.

I really feel like that's what it is, because I can curb the carb cravings if I eat some sunflower butter or a red potato, but I feel guilty doing so since the program warns against eating these things. I eat avocado almost every day, usually I slice it up with breakfast. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm not a fan of sweet potato but I've yet to try the other things you listed so I'm going to look those up and try one out tomorrow (need to hit the grocery store again).

Thanks for the support!

Good for you, coming back! We're here for ya!

Kids wanting what's on your plate? Mine are 7 and (almost) 9, and my youngest still does this. We play "trade" -- I give her a bite off my plate, and get a bite off of hers. That way we are both eating! ;)

Cravings... Oooh, the awful battle! You need to find a strategy that works for you. Some find eating a compliant substitute works, others ignoring or misdirection. Oddly enough, a sweet craving can be circumvented by something sour -- try a pickle or an olive! I know, it sounds weird... But it works!

Hang in there, come here and share, and most important: (((hugs)))

Super cute! I'll see if my kids respond well to "trading". :)

Not sure what strategy works for me yet. I try to reason with myself which is what has kept me from binge eating, but the carb cravings are strong and they keep building and getting stronger and longer. Then I get scared if I try to "starve" them for too long I will go off the path like last time and binge uncontrollably. I did feel that eating that piece of pizza on day 7 when I knew I could stop at one piece was better than pushing myself and going off the deep end after three weeks.

I have never heard the sour food helps with sweet cravings thing! I love pickles, and I'm going to see how that works out. Thanks for responding. It was very helpful.

It's a learning curve, for sure. No need to feel guilty about it. My first Whole30 I ate lots of nuts and fruits every day. And, frankly, I felt totally freakin' AWESOME. Coming from a diet of potato chips and mochas, how could I not? Haha What I mean to say is, if something doesn't feel quite right, there are all kinds of ways to tweak it so you can satisfy the cravings and really feel full. I think many women (not just those who have dealt with eating disorders) are very poorly attuned to hunger and full cues. I think that sometimes we think we are craving sweets, when in fact we are really just hungry. To one degree or another, far too many of us have actually been taught to binge and then deprive ourselves - not out of some sort of evolutionary eating pattern, but because of how we are viewed as women. (Insert any of several feminist speeches here.) So we come to this Whole30 experience with very little idea of how to tell if we are actually either hungry or full. I'm still learning how to tell whether I'm hungry or full, and I'm almost done with my second Whole30.

I haven't been able to convince myself to adore the sweet potatoes yet, but spaghetti squash has rocked my world and I want to marry it and make little soprano-singing spaghetti squash babies with it. So I'd say keep trying with the squashes. I bet one will light your fire.

And eat. Really. Just eat. You got this, sistah.

Day 7...

Breakfast:

- 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil

- 1/3 of an avocado

- 1 cup of decaf with coconut milk

Lunch:

- 3 chicken drumsticks baked in olive oil and lemon pepper

- 1 medium raw carrot

Snack:

- spoonful of sunflower seed butter

Dinner:

- organic, grass fed top round steak - pan cooked in olive oil and lemon pepper

- broiled brussel sprouts and potato slices, in olive oil and lemon salt

The cravings for pastries are very bad and seem to be getting stronger every day. One good thing is they don't last too long like last time. I really fixated on them during my first attempt at a Whole 30 and would crave all day long.

* I'm back on some meds that make it really difficult for me to rationalize with my brain when it's telling me to binge eat. Really fighting but ugh, need to speak to my doctor about this.

Hey PaleoTori,

No wonder you are having cravings and having a hard time sticking with it, you are definitely not eating enough carbs or fat, IMO. For breakfast eat a half an avocado and add a cup or two of veggies! Your lunch is pretty small too, One carrot is not enough carbs, add some starchy carbs or fruit! My favorite is taking a whole acorn squash (the roundish green ones) stabbing some holes in it and roasting it for 45 mins in a 400 degree oven, then cut in half and scoop the seeds (toss) and eat the rest! I have found that a small apple or a pear can help too :)

If you eat more at mealtime then you won't need the sunbutter snack! Also, try using coconut oil for cooking because it retains all its good properties even at a high heat, olive oil doesn't!

Good luck!!!

Tori something that works for me is to brush my teeth. I know that just sounds too simple but I used to have one gigantic sugar dragon. Growing up my mom always cooked from scratch food with lots of fresh vegetables, but the fairly typical SAD diet. We always had dessert after dinner. Always. So to me it spoke of comfort and family.

As I got older, the lbs crept on. I found myself over 80 lbs over weight. I stomped my feet, joined a gym and went on a horribly restrictive diet. I had not heatd of Paleo. A group of us on that forum discovered Robb Wolf and others which led us to Dallas and Melissa. I never looked back.

However, that nasty dragon rears its ugly head occasionally. I slap it hard on the forehead and send it to the corner. Then I brush my teeth or have a cup of bone broth or hot water. Sometimes all 3. :0)

Don't give up. Don't leave this site. You've got this. :)

It's a learning curve, for sure. No need to feel guilty about it. My first Whole30 I ate lots of nuts and fruits every day. And, frankly, I felt totally freakin' AWESOME. Coming from a diet of potato chips and mochas, how could I not? Haha What I mean to say is, if something doesn't feel quite right, there are all kinds of ways to tweak it so you can satisfy the cravings and really feel full. I think many women (not just those who have dealt with eating disorders) are very poorly attuned to hunger and full cues. I think that sometimes we think we are craving sweets, when in fact we are really just hungry. To one degree or another, far too many of us have actually been taught to binge and then deprive ourselves - not out of some sort of evolutionary eating pattern, but because of how we are viewed as women. (Insert any of several feminist speeches here.) So we come to this Whole30 experience with very little idea of how to tell if we are actually either hungry or full. I'm still learning how to tell whether I'm hungry or full, and I'm almost done with my second Whole30.

I haven't been able to convince myself to adore the sweet potatoes yet, but spaghetti squash has rocked my world and I want to marry it and make little soprano-singing spaghetti squash babies with it. So I'd say keep trying with the squashes. I bet one will light your fire.

And eat. Really. Just eat. You got this, sistah.

That was so funny (spaghetti squash babies). Had a really busy day but I'm going to pick some stuff up tomorrow at the grocery store and definitely make that with dinner tomorrow. I agree on the being taught to binge/deprive cycle. Preach it! Haha. I really do agree with the thoughts behind that. I'm trying to find a way to become more comfortable in my own skin. Just downloaded some mindfulness meditation apps today to try that out. Thanks again for all of the advice, and for the laugh!

Hey PaleoTori,

No wonder you are having cravings and having a hard time sticking with it, you are definitely not eating enough carbs or fat, IMO. For breakfast eat a half an avocado and add a cup or two of veggies! Your lunch is pretty small too, One carrot is not enough carbs, add some starchy carbs or fruit! My favorite is taking a whole acorn squash (the roundish green ones) stabbing some holes in it and roasting it for 45 mins in a 400 degree oven, then cut in half and scoop the seeds (toss) and eat the rest! I have found that a small apple or a pear can help too :)

If you eat more at mealtime then you won't need the sunbutter snack! Also, try using coconut oil for cooking because it retains all its good properties even at a high heat, olive oil doesn't!

Good luck!!!

You are totally right. I have 2 very young kids so I think I need to take a day and prep food. I've felt very overwhelmed with the program because of how much work goes into preparing and cooking each meal, especially when trying to do it for 2 babies and my husband as well. Sometimes I grab a carrot and eat it, just to make sure I ate a vegetable, but I should be eating more. I cook my eggs in coconut oil for breakfast and use coconut milk in my coffee but I prefer to use olive oil for my meats when it comes to dinner. I don't want to taste coconut oil all day. Ha.

I will start buying more veggies and adding them to my eggs for breakfast. That's a good point. I'll check for an acorn squash when I visit the store tomorrow. I've never eaten one before. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm trying to decide if I belong on this program or not. Right now I am considering doing Whole 7's until I feel comfortable enough with the program to get to a Whole 30. I don't know if I would annoy people by posting about that here though. I was thinking that because I have an issue with binge eating, and get very overwhelmed when thinking about doing this for 30 whole days, I could try and work my way up with the days. Try a Whole 7, then a Whole 14...something like that.

Thanks so much for your response.

Tori something that works for me is to brush my teeth. I know that just sounds too simple but I used to have one gigantic sugar dragon. Growing up my mom always cooked from scratch food with lots of fresh vegetables, but the fairly typical SAD diet. We always had dessert after dinner. Always. So to me it spoke of comfort and family.

As I got older, the lbs crept on. I found myself over 80 lbs over weight. I stomped my feet, joined a gym and went on a horribly restrictive diet. I had not heatd of Paleo. A group of us on that forum discovered Robb Wolf and others which led us to Dallas and Melissa. I never looked back.

However, that nasty dragon rears its ugly head occasionally. I slap it hard on the forehead and send it to the corner. Then I brush my teeth or have a cup of bone broth or hot water. Sometimes all 3. :0)

Don't give up. Don't leave this site. You've got this. :)

Unfortunately, brushing my teeth has never deterred me. I have not tried bone broth before though! That sounds delicious. I have made a cup of hot tea once before when I was fighting sugar cravings and it worked, so you did just remind me of that. Thank you. Congratulations on your success. That is amazing. And thanks so much for your encouraging post.

So I did not eat Whole 30 today. I ate that piece of pizza after midnight last night and felt like it wouldn't be fair to start as Day 1 again today, but to wait until tomorrow. I've given myself a day to eat "regular" food with my husband and I didn't go crazy and binge eat. Actually, we went for lunch at a burger joint we go to sometimes and I stopped when I was full, instead of eating everything on my plate.

I have an idea for attempting this again but I am wondering what people think. Because I have that problem with binge eating and get so afraid to do "diets" like this because they lead to binges so often, I think I am stressing myself out too much about the Whole 30. I do feel like when I think about doing it for 30 days I get very overwhelmed then want to binge. So my solution is to try and do another Whole 7, then continue if I'm feeling confident about it. If not, I'll take a day off then go back again. I'd like to try and work my way up, however long it might take. Maybe I can try a Whole 7, then a Whole 15, Whole 22...you get the picture.

Anyone have any suggestions/advice/etc for me? I want to do a Whole 30 very badly but I don't want for it to become a bad experience for me and something I quit and disappear from the forums from, because I'm embarrassed I couldn't stick to it. Just curious if anyone else has ever done something like this on here, and/or if it would annoy people if I logged here but wasn't doing all 30 days?

So I'm starting over again tomorrow and attempting another Whole 7 but going to continue after day 7 if things are going okay. If that bothers anyone, I can keep a separate journal somewhere else. I just really appreciate the support in these forums. Goodnight!

Tori, I think you know your body best, and I think your idea about trying Whole7 or something like that is a great one. You could even make it shorter and try, say, a Whole3 on a weekend, you know? It seems to me that you really know yourself well and you know what you need to make it all work for you. That shows a lot of insight, and I think it will be awesome to have you here sharing it. Stay here!!!

Okay then, attempting another Whole 7 and hoping to go further...

Day 1...

Breakfast:

- 4 eggs cooked in olive oil (ran out of coconut oil, oops!)

- 1 banana

- 1 cup of decaf coffee with coconut milk added for fat and flavor (mmm!)

Lunch:

- 4 drumsticks baked in olive oil with lemon pepper

- baked red potato with olive oil and lemon pepper

- brussel sprouts baked in olive oil and lemon pepper

Dinner:

- 1 grass fed/organic top round steak, pan cooked in olive oil and lemon pepper

- baked brussel sprouts in olive oil and lemon pepper

- red potato slices baked in olive oil and lemon pepper

* Wow, so many amazing and supportive responses! I'm updating from my phone to log my meals. Will respond to people when I get to my laptop tonight. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Anyone on this program for Christmas Day? I realized I will be and I'm a bit worried but I'd rather stay on track than eat a bunch of cookies and other stuff that will make my stomach hurt. Also, I'm now convinced my body doesn't do well with gluten or dairy. During my first attempt at a Whole 30 I realized how crappy gluten made me feel when I started eating it again, and even after only 7 days this time around, I had stomach aches after eating gluten and/or dairy. I don't eat dairy usually but I had some on a salad last night.

I'm glad you decided to dust yourself off and try again. I am on the program over Christmas Day, probably the only one on here going through Christmas (lots of people started a week before me). I am on Day 23 going for 100...some days have really sucked but most are great. I really think to control my rage which has become more prominent during this adventure (this is the first time I have admitted that) I need to go to yoga twice a day other wise I am totally filled with white hot stab strangers in the eyeball rage. You need to figure out your own "yoga" for dealing with your cravings/binging. I also have 2 tiny kids so I know that food prep is a pain in the a** but you make time for what's important. Make food prep important. My whole family (me, husbie, 3y/o & almost 2 y/o) is Whole30/paleo and we are taking a huge cooler of food to our Christmas dinner. I do not trust that there will be food for us to eat and I don't expect that other people know things like canola is a grain oil.

Tori, I think you're doing great. If the idea of a W30 is too daunting then it makes perfect sense to have a W7 or a W5 or whatever you're comfortable with. Obviously I think you need a W30 to get all the benefits but no one ever said you couldn't work up to it. You know what's going to work best for you. I'm doing this on my own so I can only imagine how exhausting it must be with 2 small children (mine are 24 and 27) but one thing that's really worked for me is cooking mountains of veg in one go and putting them in containers in the fridge. Tonight I just threw some meat in the pan and as it heated up threw in some cooked sweet potato, some mixed roast starchy veg and some cooked brussel sprouts and green beans. That way everythings ready in minutes and I don't have time to stress out about what I'm cooking. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hey Tori, I too am on the program over christmas. I also have had problems with binge eating/bulimia.... I am on day 17 and I'm pretty sure I will complete my whole30 binge free, I actually never thought I would be able to do this or even get as far as day 17 when I began, I would just really stress the importance of not cutting back food intake in meals... you know how you start off so well and then comes day 3 or 4 and you start to cut just a little bit (sometimes I do it without even thinking about it) and then all of a sudden boom! you binge. Also I find keeping stuff like nuts/lots of sweet fruit out of the house is a really good idea. Just simply don't trust yourself with those things at the moment. Don't over exercise. And also really stop worrying so much about weight loss, when it happens it will happen slowly and you probably won't even notice for a few weeks, just focus on other things in your life other than food (seems silly when you think the whole30 is all about food, but I am finding having less choice about what I can indulge in makes things alot easier). I hope these are helpful and wish you goodluck on your whole7/10/20/30...

Hey Tori, I too am on the program over christmas. I also have had problems with binge eating/bulimia.... I am on day 17 and I'm pretty sure I will complete my whole30 binge free, I actually never thought I would be able to do this or even get as far as day 17 when I began, I would just really stress the importance of not cutting back food intake in meals... you know how you start off so well and then comes day 3 or 4 and you start to cut just a little bit (sometimes I do it without even thinking about it) and then all of a sudden boom! you binge. Also I find keeping stuff like nuts/lots of sweet fruit out of the house is a really good idea. Just simply don't trust yourself with those things at the moment. Don't over exercise. And also really stop worrying so much about weight loss, when it happens it will happen slowly and you probably won't even notice for a few weeks, just focus on other things in your life other than food (seems silly when you think the whole30 is all about food, but I am finding having less choice about what I can indulge in makes things alot easier). I hope these are helpful and wish you goodluck on your whole7/10/20/30...

Brilliant. Love this!

Tori, happy eating!

Day 2...

Breakfast:

- 4 eggs scrambled in coconut oil

- 1 banana

- 1 cup of decaf coffee with coconut milk added

Lunch:

* I had a difficult time with lunch today, zero appetite and when I did try to eat everything tasted funny. I think it's my medication. So I ate random things...

- 2 chicken drumsticks

- a little salmon with raw spinach

- 1 large carrot

Dinner:

- 2 small pork chops, pan cooked in olive oil and lemon pepper

- red potato broiled in olive oil and lemon pepper

- 2 handfuls of raw spinach

I'm glad you decided to dust yourself off and try again. I am on the program over Christmas Day, probably the only one on here going through Christmas (lots of people started a week before me). I am on Day 23 going for 100...some days have really sucked but most are great. I really think to control my rage which has become more prominent during this adventure (this is the first time I have admitted that) I need to go to yoga twice a day other wise I am totally filled with white hot stab strangers in the eyeball rage. You need to figure out your own "yoga" for dealing with your cravings/binging. I also have 2 tiny kids so I know that food prep is a pain in the a** but you make time for what's important. Make food prep important. My whole family (me, husbie, 3y/o & almost 2 y/o) is Whole30/paleo and we are taking a huge cooler of food to our Christmas dinner. I do not trust that there will be food for us to eat and I don't expect that other people know things like canola is a grain oil.

I love that your whole family eats Paleo. That's great! I have my kids eating like I do but my husband doesn't eat well at all. He does eat dinner with us so I'm glad I can get that one Whole 30 meal in him.

That's a good idea to bring your own cooler. I have this problem with feeling like I'm rude if I bring my own food, even though my family doesn't mind. I'd rather sit in the bathroom and eat the meal I brought, alone, than eat with them while they have something completely different. It's probably something I just need to get used to though.

Recently I started reading a book on Mindfulness Meditation and downloaded an app with guided meditations. I'm not a huge fan of yoga (used to do it religiously) but I'm hoping this meditation stuff can help me out. :)

Tori, I think you're doing great. If the idea of a W30 is too daunting then it makes perfect sense to have a W7 or a W5 or whatever you're comfortable with. Obviously I think you need a W30 to get all the benefits but no one ever said you couldn't work up to it. You know what's going to work best for you. I'm doing this on my own so I can only imagine how exhausting it must be with 2 small children (mine are 24 and 27) but one thing that's really worked for me is cooking mountains of veg in one go and putting them in containers in the fridge. Tonight I just threw some meat in the pan and as it heated up threw in some cooked sweet potato, some mixed roast starchy veg and some cooked brussel sprouts and green beans. That way everythings ready in minutes and I don't have time to stress out about what I'm cooking. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the supportive reply!

I think cooking a lot of veggies and storing them is a really great idea. I'm so tired just cooking three big meals every day, I'm trying to get used to doing that. Soon I'll be starting grad school though so I HAVE to get this down.

Thanks for sharing your tips with me. I think you're right about needing a full Whole 30 to feel the benefits. My goal is to get myself there without driving myself crazy doing it.

Sarah Emily,

That's so great you have gone this far and are doing so well! Thank you for sharing what you did with me. I think you're very brave. This time around I haven't been cutting back on meals on purpose, so I like that you brought up that we could do it out of habit without noticing we are.

Unfortunately I can't completely control what's in the house, as there are 5 of us. I have gotten my husband to a point where he doesn't buy anything that triggers me. I just need to get him to stop asking if I want to go out to eat. That's my favorite thing to do and I have the hardest time saying no.

I haven't been weighing myself at all which I'm proud of. During my first attempt when I went 23 days, I did weigh myself everyday and I knew I wasn't supposed to. I was very attached to the scale.

Thanks again for the honest reply. I appreciate it.

Tori, I support what ever works for you in the long haul. I played with the whole9 foods for a month or two with some binge breaks in between before committing to a whole30. Not only did I manage a whole35 in the end ( won't say it was easy and definitely had some days of overheating even though compliant) but since then over two weeks ago I have only had two non compliant days, one felt like a binge but it really wasn't compared to my previous standards and I have decided to extend the current run of five days to 100. And hey I managed a compliant Xmas day... I can hardly believe it! So have faith the more compliant days you have the more your body and mind will evolve and It will get EASIER

Archived