Hungry 60-90 minutes after eating

Hi there....I'm at the end of Day 2 of the Whole 30 (no cheating at all!)...my goal with this plan is to isolate trigger foods that cause gas, bloating, belching, etc that I've been experiencing over the past several years.....I've been experimenting with different paleo recipes and thus far I've found that when I'm done eating my meal (the recommended portion/serving size), I'm hungry approximately 60-90 minutes after eating.....I've tried increasing the serving size slightly, but find that I'm too full to finish.....yet, 60-90 minutes later, my stomach starts to rumble and I'm feeling incredibly hungry......help please !!

• Moderators

Hi Shelley - Give us some examples of the meals you are eating - meat, veggies, fruit, etc. and how much water you are drinking.

Personally, I am never hungry soon after eating beef, but sometimes get hungry soon after eating chicken. Not every time, but occasionally.

Day 1: Breakfast- Zucchini Fritters, 1 med orange

Snack- handful of almonds

Lunch- Paleo meatloaf, rosemary green beans, salad

Dinner- Beef zucchini saute, rosemary green beans, 1/2 cup strawberries

Day 2: Breakfast- 3 egg spinach, onion, & mushroom scramble, sm portion paleo meatloaf, 1/2 cup strawberries

Snack- handful almonds

Lunch- Beef zucchini saute, rosemary greenbeans, 1/2 cup pineapple

Snack- handful pistachios

Dinner- cod fillet w/ lemon, salad, 1/2 cup strawberries

Day 3: Breakfast- zucchini frittata, almond pancakes w/ berries

That's what I have done so far.......I'm drinking plenty of water....and I don't like avocado, so I can't use that as a healthy fat

Shelley, I'd try to get more meat/protein in at breakfast. Protein sends a very potent signal of satiety to your system, and it's important to get that signalling in first thing in the morning. (I geeked out on the specifics somewhere else on the forum, I'll edit and post a link if I come across the post) The old adage of "eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, a pauper for dinner" is true.

So yeah, try to load up on the protein (~50g) first thing in the morning and see if that doesn't help?

I agree with Renee...that hunger message your body is sending you in this case seems to be real hunger. Eat some more protein!

Thank you for your reply.....I'm going to try to incorporate more protein in the mornings....although I'm not sure I'm ready for heavy proteins in the early am, like steak.....I know that if I rely solely on eggs for morning protein, I'll tire of them quickly.....plus I'm not a big fan of bacon....a little here & there is fine, but not 50g worth in the morning ! haha

Shelley, I'd try to get more meat/protein in at breakfast. Protein sends a very potent signal of satiety to your system, and it's important to get that signalling in first thing in the morning. (I geeked out on the specifics somewhere else on the forum, I'll edit and post a link if I come across the post) The old adage of "eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, a pauper for dinner" is true.

So yeah, try to load up on the protein (~50g) first thing in the morning and see if that doesn't help?

Thank you for your reply....any suggestions other than steak, avocado (yuk), bacon, eggs ??

We are getting a little worried with the symptoms she is experiencing now. 5 days in and she feels dizzy, spacey, weak, no strength....all things she experienced just last week and was taken to the hospital and dignosed with hypoglycemia. That morning she had rice krispies and milk and orange juice for breakfast. Are these feelings because her body doesn't have the sugar and grains/bread to use as fuel and hasn't switched over to burning fat for fuel yet? How long should this last ? Is she at risk for another hospital visit in light of her recent diagnoses?

Stacey, who is the "she" you're referring to? I think I'm missing the background of your situation?

Was she diagnosed with hypoglycemia before or after she started the Whole30? Because rice krispies, milk and OJ doesn't sound at ALL like a Whole30 compliant breakfast, so I'm confused.

It's very important for everybody to be eating enough food during the Whole30, and from the symptoms, it sounds like she's definitely not eating enough food _period_. It's possible that if she pulled out all the rice and milk and juice and pastas and didn't replace them with compliant carb sources like sweet potatoes and carrots, etc...it would definitely be a risk. Things will probably normalize, but you can't pull a major source of calories out of your diet, neglect to replace them, and then expect everything will be okay...especially with a hypoglycemia diagnosis.

Hi Renee,

I'm sorry, "she" is Shelley (the person who made the orignial post for this topic). The hypoglycemia was a diganosis given last week, prior to starting the Whole 30. We thought she would start feeling better once she began the program however, she's experiencing the same symptoms she had last week when she went to the hospital and received the diganosis of hypoglycemia. We are concerned she'll end up in the hospital again if she isn't fetting enough of what she needs.

Oh, sorry, Stacey. I didn't realize that you and the OP were connected! Has she implemented the suggestions the rest of the mods and I made above? Has it gotten any better at all?

Renee....thanks for the posts.....I'm on Day 6 and feeling better, although certainly not 100%....I still tire very easily and don't think I could muster the energy for a workout yet......I managed to finally eat steak (along with bacon, tomatoes, & broccoli) for breakfast today......but was still hungry about 2 hours after.....I haven't experienced the same exact symptoms I had the day I went to the ER.....I have yet to follow up with my GP.....but I am concerned about the possibility of my liver not producing enough sugar to cause hypoglycemis episodes.....

Milestone: coming from someone who NEVER cooked before (in fact, it had become somewhat of a joke amongst my friends and family).....I succeeded in roasting my first chicken yesterday.....and it turned out perfect....crispy on the outside, totally juicy on the inside.....and it was only roasted with sea salt and pepper.....and what a difference pastured, grass-only fed chicken tastes compared to that factory farmed crap out there.....AND I also managed to make a delicious beef stew as well......I'm going to change my name to Julia Child

Archived