Short ribs?

MJam

Anyone have a yummy compliant short ribs recipe without an ingredients list a mile long preferably that I can make in the slow cooker (picky picky!)....FenderBender I am looking in your direction you paleo chef guru!

I use nom nom korean ribs but I have not done the korean version as delish as it sounds. Charring the ribs under the broiler is key. Then I season with salt and pepper and lay them in the slow cooker on their sides. I add about a cup of beef or chicken bone broth and a splash of coconut aminos and coconut vinegar for fun. Set it on low for 9-11 hours. I usually let it go for the entire 11 hours. Then I skim the fat and usually I reduce the sauce in a saucepan but you don't have to. One of my favorite meals ever. I usually serve it with mashed cauli.

Thanks Susan, I checked out the nomnom recipe and I got overwhelmed with ingredients I don't have (compliant fish sauce, aminos) so I will probably hack her recipe and for sure char the ribs before hands. I have tons of the sauce left over from cooking my bison heart yesterday so I might dump in some of that sauce since it was super tasty.

Yeah totally okay skipping all of those ingredients. Salt and pepper and your heart sauce will be delish. I have a question about beef heart. I used to love chicken gizzards and hearts but for some reason I have become a little squeemish. I am about to purchase 1/8 th of a steer. The wonderful farm I am getting it from gives organs and bones free of charge. I want to try heart but can you tell me what it tastes like and what the texture is like?

Free bones and organs?? *jealous* I cooked a bison heart, it for sure has an organ meat taste...kinda iron-y but with the umami feel. The sauce in the recipe complimented it so so well. The texture is a bit...umm...dense is the only way I can think to describe it but it doesn't have that linear fiberous make up like a steak or tenderloin. It was super tender and not difficult to chew at all and the toddlers ate about 75% of it My husband wouldn't even look at without gagging. Fear no heart paleo warrior! :D

Oh I know! For some reason they can't sell organs and bones so they end up with a ton of both grass fed cow and grass fed heritage pork organs and bones. :) I am very excited. Your description was really good. I'm definitely going to try it. I was like your kids at their age. My Greek Grandfather used to feed me tongue, heart and brain.

• Moderators

I have a relatively simple recipes for short ribs, but I used a pressure cooker. You could adapt it to a slow cooker easily enough. Just put everything in a slow cooker and let it go for about 6-8 hours, then add the carrots and mushrooms and let it go another 2-4 hours. You might cook it all together from start to finish, but I like a little crispness left in my veggies and the soft ones like carrots get mushy when cooked a long time. Oh yeah, the recipe...

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/02/beef-short-ribs-with-carrots-peppers-and-tomatoes/

I like them Asian/ Korean style, but hard to make compliant..

Strait up braising works great.... Sear the short ribs add salt and pepper, and then lightly brown carrots,onion,garlic,celery,parsnip.... In the same pan.... Keep them in the same pan or move to a slow cooker and add chix/ beef Stock/ broth to cover, 1/2 cup chopped tomato,and about 10 figs... Cover tightly and cook until tender.... Remove short ribs and skim off some fat... Put all the liquid and all the veg in a blender and purée .... This makes a kick ass naturaly thick and satisfing sauce... All the flavor from the aromatics and a bit of sweet from the figs.... I serve over cauliflower and parsnip mash....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a relatively simple recipes for short ribs, but I used a pressure cooker. You could adapt it to a slow cooker easily enough. Just put everything in a slow cooker and let it go for about 6-8 hours, then add the carrots and mushrooms and let it go another 2-4 hours. You might cook it all together from start to finish, but I like a little crispness left in my veggies and the soft ones like carrots get mushy when cooked a long time. Oh yeah, the recipe...

http://www.wholelife...s-and-tomatoes/

I like to put veggies in when i start a braise and then use them to thicken a sauce. Just pull out the meat and use a stick blender (or a potato masher should work if you don't have a stick blender). Makes the sauce nice and thick without using flour or starch to thicken in up. Then just toss in whatever veggies you want to eat with it.

Archived