Mayo success! ..sort of...

Nicole M

So made my first batch of mayo, everything worked wonderfully......

Except I think I used an olive oil that was too strong, even though it was "light".

Any tips on how to salvage the taste??? I really want to eat it, but it tastes kinda yucky right now :(

Oh I did the same thing. As much as I love olive oil, I really don't like it in mayo. I wonder if it would be okay in tuna salad? Also, my mom used to coat lamb, chicken and fish before she grilled it. Keeps it moist and sort of bastes it. Bertolli Extra Light is what I use.

MAYO SUCCESS! I use the same olive oil as Susan and the first couple batches of mayo I made I was sketchy on the taste because I think I was still used to the taste of regular creepy mayo but now I literally eat scoops out of the jar...I love being paleo. This is the recipe I use except I sub out dry mustard powder for about a tablespoon sized squeeze of organic stone ground brown mustard and I make mine in my Cuisinart FP...perfect every single time.

http://paleospirit.com/2012/basic-mayonnaise-recipe-for-your-paleo-diet/

Also...were you trying it right after you made it?? It tastes like a** when it is just made all warm and shi*...soooo much better once it has set over night and cooled. Don't give up on the mayo luuuuurrrvvve!

No need for anything fancy. Basically if it's thin, it means the immulsion didn't happen. So..the key is that all the ingredients need to be the same temp. If you aren't using an immersion blender, the oil needs to be drizzled very slowly. Which recipe did you use?

I've never had a mayo fail either (yet). I do the drizzling of oil into the food processor over a 5 minute period, though (since that's what the recipe I originally got said, before I had even heard of the Whole30). Maybe the extra time makes it more likely to succeed? I also use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice, but I wouldn't think that'd make any difference in how thick it gets.

Archived