menstrual cup question

DocIKY

I am buying one! Been meaning to do it for years but never took the leap. I frigging hate tampons. I always run out or only have big ones or small ones and then my kids bust into the bathroom and are like, Mommy what are you doing??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am buying one! Been meaning to do it for years but never took the leap. I frigging hate tampons. I always run out or only have big ones or small ones and then my kids bust into the bathroom and are like, Mommy what are you doing??

Oh, they will ask the same thing about the diva cup but it is so awesome.

If you think you'll have times you need to change it outside of your own home, I'd recommend two. If only so that you can get the new one in before you worry about washing the old one. I had one for years, and having two now is quite awesome, if only so that I don't have to get back into bathroom stalls after getting out (confuses people a lot haha).

If you think you'll have times you need to change it outside of your own home, I'd recommend two. If only so that you can get the new one in before you worry about washing the old one. I had one for years, and having two now is quite awesome, if only so that I don't have to get back into bathroom stalls after getting out (confuses people a lot haha).

If I'm in a public restroom I take a damp paper towel in with me so I can wipe out the Diva cup. This is easy to do since I wash my hands BEFORE going to the bathroom too when I am on my period. But, anymore, I just swipe off the outside with a little piece of tp and reinsert right away, and keep the full blown rinsing out for when I'm at home or in a one-holer.

I got my Diva cup at the beginning of this week and started my period yesterday....I can't bring myself to use the cup yet!!! :rolleyes: My first few days are like a Quentin Tarantino flick and that little cup would runneth over in a heartbeat! I've decided to wait until day 3 to try it out so I can get used to it for the next go around. That makes it perfect timing for being on the road Saturday and out on the lake boating it for the holidy weekend. While I know I'll end up loving it, I'm a little freaked out about using it! LOL

I broke down and put it in! I took it out right away to make sure I could get it out....that pop is a funny little sound!! LOL. I am going to try it out for the rest of tonight. Not sure if I am brave enough to use it tomorrow yet...it's my heaviest day. So far not so bad!

If you have heavy flow, it still lasts longer than a tampon. My heaviest days I used to be able to go through a regular tampon an hour. The Diva Cup lasted a minimum of 8.

Changing out your heaviest ones, if possible, is nicer in the shower, if only for decreased risk of spillage.

I'm loving the cup right now, as is my husband. The last time we bought anything period related was when I bought my second one six or eight months ago. Win!

Would you recommend a cup to someone who hates tampons? I already use reusable pads but there's still times when an internal system would be useful.

But tampons don't work for me. It's hard to explain, but an hour or two after insertion, I get mild cramping and a strong sensation that I need to remove the tampon. I'm not sure if this could be a reaction to the chemicals in tampons (as I'm rather sensitive chemically in general) or if I'm just unsuited to internal systems.

Grace- I experienced something similar with tampons, though it wasn't severe enough to stop me from using them. I also always felt like the string was rubbing my labia and irritating me. I would be so relieved when it was all over. I love my diva cup though! No unusual sensations. They are pricey but may be worth a try. Every month when I notice I started I have a little "yippee it's diva cup time" moment- it really has made it much more pleasant for me.

Added bonus: you can save and dilute the fluid to feed your house plants! They love it.

I think my husband would freak if I told him the basil was grown from my innards!

Oh, mine too. Even though he is a biologist and KNOWS I'm right. I think it's because it's the houseplants. But I just do it when he is not paying attention, which isn't all that tricky.

Grace- I experienced something similar with tampons, though it wasn't severe enough to stop me from using them. I also always felt like the string was rubbing my labia and irritating me. I would be so relieved when it was all over. I love my diva cup though! No unusual sensations. They are pricey but may be worth a try. Every month when I notice I started I have a little "yippee it's diva cup time" moment- it really has made it much more pleasant for me.

Added bonus: you can save and dilute the fluid to feed your house plants! They love it.

Thanks Moluv! Good to know someone else was irritated by tampons. I'll definitely look into it more, maybe I'll send a couple of questions to the creators.

Wow! I wouldn't have thought of that but I guess it's quite similar to the blood & bone fertilizers.

The Diva Cup is awesome also if you swim while on your period. I always had a problem with tampons being useless as soon as I hit the water as the string would get wet, which would then pass water up until the whole tampon was soaked with water. And you can't use a pad for backup then either...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ladies, I'm a little late to the party here but I read this thread when I first started my W30 and instantly bought a Diva Cup, I had been waffling for a few years! So my period started yesterday and I was pretty excited to give this thing a try.  It went a lot more smoothly than I expected but it will take a little getting used to.  The only issue i am experiencing is that it seems to slide out some and the tip irritates me, tampons did this too.  Am I not getting it in far enough, it starts out good and up there, am I not getting it fully open?  Not sure but am determined to figure it out cause theoretically I already love the darn thing!  Thoughts?

Some people cutt off some of the stem because of the irritation.  It doesn't bother me and with my short fingers, I don't know how I'd be able to get it out otherwise!  :lol:

How are you folding it to insert it?  I find that pushing one side down into the cup makes it easier to insert.  Once in, I move it around a little and kind of run my finger around it.  For the longest time, I didn't think it was "cupping" properly but it was....I'm just a bleeder the first few days and have to empy it about every 2 hours!  :angry:

I love it though!  It's nice not having to worry about carrying tampons!   ;)

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with the stem, but try cutting off a little bit of it. Might help a bit. 

I still absolutely adore my Diva Cup. Like whoa. Every month I wonder how I got along without it. Like next month, when I'll be at the beach with family (2 block walk back to the house every two hours? How about not?) when it happens. Wahoo! I laugh at all of the tampon commercials talking about the freedom of tampons...true freedom is knowing that I have a minimum of 4 hours on a heavy day before anything needs to happen, and even then it's an easy fix.

Thanks for the responses.  It actually starts out high enough and the stem isn't a problem.  The problem is it kinda slides down and out a touch which leads me to believe that I am not getting it properly inserted.  I have tried both folding it in half and pushing one side down.  I am going to chalk it up to it being only my 3rd day wearing it and that I am still getting used to inserting it.  Just wanted to see what others thought.  Otherwise I love the darn thing!  I know what you mean MrsStick about the tampon ads!  I feel much more free that I don't have to remember to bring tampons and that I am not putting all that waste into landfills! 

I got the larger of the two, and haven't had kids, maybe I need to do some kegels :P .  I had issues like this with tampons too though.  After a few hours the base of the tampon would be right at the opening.  I don't know, my gyno says my cervix is all tucked up in there, so I guess it's just the way my body is built and I have to kinda work it around.  No biggie and no reason to not use it.  Thanks!

The cup certainly makes travelling WAY easier. The difference between 'pack a whole box's worth just in case' and 'pack my Diva Cup' is huge. Granted, I still use pads as backup (because finding an accessible bathroom as soon as I need it, if I need it, isn't always easy, but I'm really just trying to use them all up. Overzealous mother sent me 4 boxes to Afghanistan...over a year ago...I still have an unopened box...once I run out of those, I'm going to switch to a reusable liner too, since I don't need it to absorb much!

I found that occasionally intentionally doing a kegel type movement helped me with my Diva Cup too. Just every few hours, whenever I thought about it, doing a bit of a squeeze. Maybe that would keep it from moving too much?

Archived