Sourcing freezer paper

Alana in Canada

Not exactly sure where to put this question, but here's as good a place as any, I guess.

I buy my meat in bulk and weigh it out into it in one pound and 1 1/2 pound portions. Then I freeze it in a ziploc bag. When I need some, I take it out of the freezer and throw it in the microwave.

I was listening to Robb Wolff last week and he mentioned that microwaving your food in plastic is the best way to blast plastic particles into it. Not the healthiest thing to do.

Sooooo...where would I go to find butcher paper? I have no clue.

Oo..yeah alana you need food grade non BPA to put in the microwave. My butcher gives it to me but I have never put it in the MW. Robb said that was okay? I take it out of the freezer the evening before and let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours. Then I stick it in the fridge until I am ready. Is that too much planning for you?

I buy my freezer paper at Safeway in the food wrap aisle...I haven't found it anywhere else here (Oh Canada!)

I am so happy you are moving away from microwaving plastic. I sold my microwave a month ago and got a Breville convection oven because I am insane and I am convinced it was poisoning us...I am such a drama queen!

Good luck sourcing the paper...but check Safeway because that's where I get mine (I use it to do freezer paper stencils on clothes).

I buy my freezer paper at Safeway in the food wrap aisle...I haven't found it anywhere else here (Oh Canada!)

I am so happy you are moving away from microwaving plastic. I sold my microwave a month ago and got a Breville convection oven because I am insane and I am convinced it was poisoning us...I am such a drama queen!

Good luck sourcing the paper...but check Safeway because that's where I get mine (I use it to do freezer paper stencils on clothes).

You crack me up Mj. I think I own a Breville immersion blender because of you. :) I really want the convection oven but I own a Cuisinart convection oven. I keep hoping it will die. :)

Oo..yeah alana you need food grade non BPA to put in the microwave. My butcher gives it to me but I have never put it in the MW. Robb said that was okay? I take it out of the freezer the evening before and let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours. Then I stick it in the fridge until I am ready. Is that too much planning for you?

Robb didn't mention what would be OK. To be fair, the example he used concerned walking into 7-11 and microwavinga burritto wrapped in plastic. I extrapolated. I have been trying to remember to take food out "in time" but, sadly, it's proving to be really difficult for me to develop this new habit!

Seriously, Safeway? I'm surprised. I'll take a closer look next time we're there. Thanks.

You crack me up Mj. I think I own a Breville immersion blender because of you. :) I really want the convection oven but I own a Cuisinart convection oven. I keep hoping it will die. :)

Breville owes me commission!! and I am sending deadly thoughts to your Cuisi-y oven.

Here's what I do: I make a menu with the hubs on Saturday afternoon then I pluck whatever I need from the freezer for 2 days worth of meals. Example: I know that it only takes overnight to thaw ground meat so that's Mondays meal(s) and that it takes two days to thaw a whole chicken in my fridge, so on Monday I pull the chicken from the freezer to be used on Wed. Each time I use a package of meat that's been thawed I put another frozen one in it's place. It works for me and I never have to worry about if I need to thaw something. I HATE using a microwave to thaw anything.. ugh. I keep the written menu on the fridge and cross off meals a they are cooked.

• Moderators

You should never combine hot food and plastic, whether it is in a microwave or saving leftovers. I had to buy a bunch of glass storage containers when I learned that.

You are not just thawing food when you toss it in a microwave, you are cooking it too. Aside from its wrapper, I don't think you want to partially cook your food before you season it and cook it however you planned.

I am not good about planning ahead to let meat from the freezer thaw, but I'm learning. Luckily, I frequently use my slow cooker for meat and you can start with it frozen. I go straight to the sink with a frozen roast and get it out of its wrapper by running cold water on it. Then I place the roast in the slow cooker and season it there. Eight hours later, I have great food. Of course, I still have to remember to start the slow cooker 8 hours in advance of when I want to eat.

Archived