Just Another Vegan Ready For a Big Change

Noelle

When It Starts With Food came in with my library holds, I honestly didn't remember requesting it. I didn't even think I'd heard of it—but it literally had my name on it. I started reading the book that night, and I couldn't put it down.

I've been eating a vegan diet for almost six years. After my son's birth five years ago, I discovered—through a doctor-recommended elimination diet—that I am very sensitive to gluten, and fairly sensitive to soy. Years of a gluten-free, soy-free vegan diet followed. I saw some of my health issues improve, but I still feel unwell often, and I deal with chronic low back pain that no one (allopathic and naturopathic alike) can explain.

For the past week, I've been doing a "practice Whole30," eating lots of eggs and fish instead of my old beans and grains, and...I don't want to say it too loudly, but...I'm already feeling better than I have in a long time.

My back is less tender. I'm not always looking for a snack. And I have energy in the morning now! That alone is pretty astonishing, as I also have a four-month-old baby daughter who still wakes up several times a night to breastfeed.

I'm going to start my official Whole30 on January 7th—my 30th birthday.

In the meantime, I'm gathering recipes and re-learning how to shop for meat and seafood, so I'm not flying by the seat of my pants. I'm a little nervous, but also very excited to be going on this journey.

I'm so glad this program found me.

Archived