Roasting Sweet Potatoes at Low Temp

ladyhoward

On Sunday, we are having my in-laws over for Christmas. I have purchased a naturally cured ham that just needs to be warmed in the oven. The last time I had one, we warmed it in a 275 degree oven for a couple of hours and it was delicious. I would like to be able to roast my sweet potatoes at the same time. I know that most recipes say to roast them at a 375 degree oven for like 45 minutes. Obviously I can't do that with the ham being in there - the ham will get dried out I'm afraid if the temp is that high. So, long story short, can I just have the sweet potatoes in there at a lower temp and just leave them in there longer? And if so, should I season them any differently, toss with more oil. . . .? I would like to be able to keep things simple by having the ham and the potatoes done at the same time. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Yes you can cook them at a lower temp!. What you could do is put them in 2 hours before the ham is ready to go and let them slowly roast. They probably won't have much color on them, but will be cooked thru. You take out the ham and crank up the potatoes to 450 or so and let them roast at high heat for 15-20 minutes while you arrange your meal on the table or what not and then get your potatoes into the serving dish and on the table.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your in laws!

Archived