Starting my Whole 30 January 2013

Hi, all.

I'm Christina and I'll be starting my Whole 30 on January 1 along with many of you.

I have a disorder called Lipedema, which affects how my body metabolizes and uses and stores fat and carbs. It's characterized by a disproportionate body - lower body larger than upper body - with other issues tossed in there making weight loss difficult.

I'd already adjusted my diet to cut out wheat and sugar to slow down the inflammatory responses with this disorder, so it's time now to start the next step. In my mind, the next step is paleo and the Whole 30 seems to be a good way for me to slow inflammation, reset my metabolism, and get a clean starting point to see how various foods truly affect me.

I'm not in this for weight loss as this disorder keeps me from losing weight via conventional means. My main goal is to return to my endocrinologist in February and be told I'm no longer insulin resistant. Any weight loss will be a bonus, and I'll go into February slowly adding some foods back in - but not wheat or sugar - to see how they affect my body.

I'm going to join the January whole 30 too. I was all set (I thought) to do it after Thanksgiving, but I didn't. I have started/stopped Paleo so many times in the last several months. I find excuses not to stick it out, then get disgusted with myself. I have digestive disorders, need to lose at least 40 lb. Reflux is coming back with a vengence, its time to change for good!

Hey guys! I have been on a mostly Paleo way of life for a year or so now but am considering doing a Whole 30! I am a student in my final year and am scared that I will find it really hard!

If you're already mostly paleo, I think it helps. When I did my first whole30 I had been mostly paleo for months beforehand and I didn't really get any of the sugar withdrawal symptoms.

I found the hardest part was planning around things in day to day life and being prepared so until you get in the rhythm of it, definitely meal plan for your first couple of weeks. As long as you have quick meal ideas or even better, frozen meals from extras you've made, asd well as some snacks, you'll be set. I still cook up a lot of chicken breast at the start of each week and boil several eggs so that I have them on stand-by for snacks. :)

Archived