Soybean Oil - Start over?

Becca Gaskin

My personal answer is yes...but I am in the meany all-or-nothing-100%-compliance-means-100% camp. I believe that the Whole30 is about consciousness and every time your hand with food in it goes to your mouth you should be asking questions (what is in this? Am I really hungry? etc.)

I have more issue the chips...sweet potatoes are compliant but paleo-ified treats are completely NOT in the spirit of Whole30. I also have a dislike of compliant Lara bars for the same reason...those things are crowding out REAL food.

Becca,

Soy is one of the Big Three that we're always going to recommend a restart on. It messes your body up, even in small amounts, and can throw your progress off. Of course it's up to you to make the call - no one is going to call you out or judge you here. If it were me, I'd tack more days on the end instead of calling it a "fail" and starting over. You made great decisions for 20 days, made a less healthy choice, and now you're back to making great choices for X number of days - get it?

• 4 years later...

I had a similar issue come up today. I was at Trader Joe's and thought I had clearly identified the ingredients on the back label. Organic veggies, no sugar...woohoo. I was in the store to purchase more jars to have on hand when I thought to review it once more. With 4 jars in my basket, I saw it on the list...soybean oil. This offense would have occurred about 2 days ago after making a yummy stuffed pepper with ground turkey and red onions smothered in the marinara and then topped with spaghetti squash. Seriously bummed about the oversight on my part but...I actually LOVE eating this way. Monday was my Day 15. I left TJ's with a bag of Meyer lemons, fresh basil, and some fresh chicken drumsticks. I'll just have to create my own marinara. Here's to clean, mindful cooking and eating.

Archived