Day 3...When will I have energy?!?!

It really depends on a lot of factors. I personally slept like a rock on my first day eating this way, but I also have a strict schedule. I work 12 hours a day, with one hour in the morning to workout, then usually come to my room and work on some home. I usually get 8 hours a sleep a night, and I have two roommates. Obviously if you're married, and have kids and have to tend to more around the house then it can greatly affect you. Ruling out food, I would suggest making sure your sleeping area is conductive to a good nights rest. My room is usually pretty cool (we have the AC on), and since we have no windows it's pretty much pitch black in there. Just some things to think about. Food can contribute to how well you sleep too, but we'd need to know what your daily diet is like to know.

SusanQ22 -

This is totally normal. It takes a while for your body to adjust to burning fat and protein for energy instead of really easy access carbs. Most people find that their energy slowly begins to increase during week 2 and then the second half of the program is easy peasy.

Hang in there!

I'd say for me days 3-5 were the hardest...hang in there. Depending on what your diet was like prior to your W30 it can take a bit for your body to adjust...Like Robin said you are in the process of switching out of that "sugar burner" mode... it can only get better!

My prior diet wasn't terrible...not lots of sugar, lots of whole grains and caffeine though. I think I'm having a hard time eating enough calories, I am a gym teacher and burn 3000+ calories/day..I could stand to shed a few lbs but NEED at least 2000/day....how do I eat that many kcal in fruit/veg/protein?

I find it easy to eat plenty of calories per day, and I'm 6'2", 190+, and generally pretty active. If you're replacing a lot of whole grain calories and you're active, you may need to up your starchy carbs like sweet potatoes or bananas. You should also consider adding more fat if you haven't upped that as part of your Whole30 transition.

I eat a lot of fat... from meat sources (red meat, pork, poultry, salmon), cooking fats (coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, bacon fat), veggies and nuts (avocado, macadamia nuts, almonds, etc), other coconut products such as creamed coconut, coconut butter, coconut milk, or raw baby coconut meat. Protein and carbohydrates tend to fluctuate day to day depending on what food I've got easy access to and my workout schedule.

You might consider logging your Whole30 experience in the "Your Whole30 Log" forum. If you include your daily food intake along with details about your activity level, day to day feelings, etc... you will probably get some good feedback from others.

Archived