Extremely sore muscles?

Ayla2010

OK so up until around 7 months ago, I was doing CrossFit 5 days a week, and while I did get some muscle soreness, it was not long lasting and not bad enough, so I was able to ignore it and just carrying on working out through it.

Then stuff happened, and I stopped paleo and stopped all exercise (besides walking our dogs).

Fast forward to now, and 2 days ago I started the starting strength program (first day deadlifts, squats and overhead press). The weights I used were well below half of my maxes from CrossFit. I warmed up using the empty bar (and lighter bar for overhead press).

Since then I have been pretty much not been able to walk and my legs are that sore they seem to give way at times when I am walking along.

Did I just over do it? Should I do something else? Or just bar weight only for a while?

I don't remember ever being this sore, even when first starting CrossFit.

Did I break something? LOL

• Moderators

I gave up barbells in December 2011 and devoted myself to kettlebells. I stayed fit and expected to do fine when I went back to the gym to do deadlifts and squats this past November, but I was wrong. I thought I was taking it easy my first day back, but the workout messed me up for more than a week. Burning pain in my legs. I rested for 3 weeks and then started again, lifting twice per week. I am using about 50 percent of the weights I lifted before and am no longer suffering. Just this week I started to edge up the load, but I am planning to go slow. Our muscles appear to lose gains relatively quickly.

Ayla -

I don't know that soreness is an indication of lost strength, I think it just means that you're using your muscles (and damaging them - in a good way) in ways you haven't in a long while. They will hurt, but they will heal again and your recovery will improve. Make sure you're taking in carbs and protein right after your lifting session to give your muscles a helping hand.

Get on your bike and ride! Lol. Seriously, get the blood flowing to those areas that are sore and if you have a foam roller, crush,crush,crush... No matter how it hurts....Your quads,hams, IT bands,calves..... Then/or message the sore areas...

It really works and will cut your recovery time in half...I've graduated to 3" PVC pipe....hurts so good

I do have a foam roller, but im too scared to use it right now.

Not to mention the getting down then back up off the floor :huh: My husband is not here, so I could be stuck down there LOL.

2 days later and they are seriously like jelly just walking to the letter box :(

and sitting on the loo? Forget it, i have to hover lol

I do a lot of strength training and often get super sore muscles from tough work outs.... as long as it's the muscle that's sore and not the joint it's probably just because you're exhausting the muscle and it's healing :) 2 cups of Epsom Salts and a hot bath helps a lot after super tough workouts for me :) also, tart cherries after a workout can help with muscle recovery because they reduce inflammation. Also, most importantly... make sure you're stretching really well after each workout ;)

thanks for the tips, I will try those things :)

I have not yet done my second workout this week (should have been yesterday). Still hurt quite bad, but slightly better, so may try for the next workout tomorrow.

I am quite bad about stretching when I am working out on my own, so must make sure I do.

well 5 days later, and I can finally move my legs properly, they still hurt but not as bad as before.

I have not yet worked out again.

I am so confused about this working out business and having so much weight to lose.

Do I continue trying to lift? Walking only? I should know all this stuff as ive been here before, but I am also worried about getting hurt (ive been injured heaps of times in the past doing various things.

I think the general concesous is the more you move, the better. Yes muscle is a more dense than fat, but you would need to workout for a year doing a serious lifting program to put on ten lbs of muscle ( most athletes would kill to put on ten lbs of muscle in a year)..... But you are building a bigger engine that will ( given that you eat properly) burn more fuel..

There are so many forms of exercise ... If you are prone to injury Yoga,Pilates,swimming,Zumba,TRX,spin are but a few.... Beginning level cross fit with proper instruction can be great!

The returns from a physical,mental,and emotional stand points, are 100 fold..... You sleep better,feel better,look better,preform regular daily activities better..... You get a cascade of nuero chemicals that give you a natural high all day long..... The only way to achieve this is through moderately strenuous exercise......and on a consistent basis....

I say you need to get a long term plan in place, with several short term " doable" goals..... Move slowly in a regimented progression from easy to medium to hard, always challenging yourself out of your comfort zone..... But not to injury.... Incorporating routines that will build lean muscle,increase cardio respiratory function, and general conditioning.....

Nothing wrong with doing a very brisk 30 min walk several times a week, yoga twice a week, and very light high rep weight circuit twice a week to start..... I would chose four exercises that incorporate as many muscle groups as possible ( walking lunges, spider planks on an unstable platform,squat press thrusters,medicine ball slams.... For an example ) do 10-15 reps of each exercise,going from exercise to exercise with no rest until the circuit is compleat .... Rest no longer than it takes to get your heart rate to normal and repeat 3 to 4 times.... Go on your walk

As you feel this is getting easy add progressively harder exercises ( burpees, jump squats, etc) and add a second/third circuit with a 1/4 fast run in between....

I have no idea what experience you have, so I don't want this to come off as condescending or preachy, I'm just going by what I read in your last post as you were asking for help....

Go at your own level, progress with realistic goals, give it time to improve, and constancy is the key

Wishing you great health in the new year!

thank you for your advice :)

I have walked between 3-6 km every day for the last 4 days so far. I will ease back into lifting weights after the xmas/new year break (once my husband goes back to work).

I will def go right back with how heavy I am lifting, since ive had so long off CrossFit, once I am fitter and stronger I will go back to CrossFit.

Oh so you are a cross fitter.... Should have read the whole post..... You know what to do, just got to ease back into it... When I started my W30 I had to cut way back on my workout load, my legs felt like lead. I suppose when your used to eating tons of starchy carbs to fuel workouts it takes more than a few weeks for your body to convert to burning fat for fuel......

As for me, I wouldn't try doing max lifts or very heavy reps til failure power lifting workouts, but my overall conditioning, fitness,agitly,speed,strength,cardio function.... Is through the roof and I am performing better than ever..... I honestly gave up the dream of testing for my Joe Lewis/HaganaH black belt because of the constant pain/ inflammation I was in (pre Paleo/ whole9 lifestyle...). Now I am going to text next year!!!!!

IMO.... I think crossfit can be great.....BUT, even though they preach working at your own level....the atmosphere is Very condusive to competition..... Just remember to be you own governor and don't push past where you are comfortable..... No single workout is worth the risk of injury that will set you back..... I have learned the hard way.... It's about consistency....

Very interested reading this thread - some great insights for a newbie like me! I'm on day 1 of my first W30, and starting back at crossfit in a fortnight after a 6 month absence. I'm SO worried about the muscle soreness, having dealt with it pretty badly when I first started.

Last time, a mix of bikram yoga, active recovery and extra stretching, my daily bike commute and more protein all helped a bit in the end - but I'm a bit worried about not getting enough protein given I can't get that easy protein hit in powder form...

Going to get plenty of bikram under my belt before getting back on the crossfit bandwagon - need to make sure my body is good and ready for the shock! And very mindful after reading this that I'm going to need to take it very slow and not expect to be where I was 6 months ago...

I don't do cross fit but I am a distance runner. I have noticed a decrease in quad pain that i would usually have a day or two after my long runs. I am wondering if the absence of sugar in my diet is the reason....

Karin

Archived