Is it wise to eat the lard I fry stuff in?

Geeshta

I'm talking frying one or two steaks in it, nothing gets burned, no re-using. I do it now, mix it with my food or dip the meat in it, beacuse the fat absorbs lot of flavour and spices. So...

Can I go on like this or should I use fresh lard afterwards as my healthy fat source? Also, can you provide me some articles or scientific back-up or just explain to me why it is or isn't wise?

Thank you for your answers

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Geeshta said:

I'm talking frying one or two steaks in it, nothing gets burned, no re-using. I do it now, mix it with my food or dip the meat in it, beacuse the fat absorbs lot of flavour and spices. So...

Can I go on like this or should I use fresh lard afterwards as my healthy fat source? Also, can you provide me some articles or scientific back-up or just explain to me why it is or isn't wise?

Thank you for your answers

I don't know why you would not be able to eat the lard that you cook items in; when I use lard to cook eggs, I scrape out the pan onto my plate to make sure I get the full serving of fat.

What is the scientific back up and articles you're looking for? In general, when people want that kind of indepth input on something like eating used lard, we would tell them to do some personal research, it would be outside the realm of the Whole30 to comment on why you would or would not want to eat previously heated fat and not the volunteers responsibility to do the research and provide articles and scientific studies for you.  (I"m assuming this is somehow related to carcinogens and again, that's way outside the scope of Whole30).

Archived