In a slump

Lately my drive and motivation to keep going is slowly weening down. Today I feel pretty bad, almost depressed. I guess a number of things, that shouldn't bother me are. Obviously in the situation I'm in, food variety isn't very common. Everyday I eat practically the same thing, with some things switched out, but it's really dragging me down. Today all I want to do is go eat a cookie, or have an energy drink and I know I don't want to break my whole30 just for that one thing. So what do you all do to get out of a slump and feel better?

• Moderators

Two thoughts:

One, what you are eating may not have anything to do with your feeling down. Eating something off plan is not likely to make you feel better, but may make you feel worse.

Two, why are you eating "practically the same thing" every day? My food variety skyrocketed when I began my first Whole30. I started cooking things I had never tried before because I thought variety was part of the program.

I so know this feeling. When I was a kid I weighed 250 lbs. I've spent my entire life in exactly the spot you're in and can tell you that caving into whatever it is you're craving won't only not solve the issue, but will add to your stress by making you feel like you failed yourself. It's just not a good pattern to be in. It's one of the main things that keeps me going - I woke up one day and just decided- I never want to feel that way again. So I changed. I don't know where you were when you started your 30 days but take a minute and make a list of all the positive things you've experienced so far and hopefully you'll quickly see it's not worth giving up and letting go of those wins.

Go find 1 new recipe or 1 new food to try. Do it now...screw work or whatever else your doing. For this to work you have to love and appreciate the food you're eating and if you're bored with it you gotta switch it up. You can totally do this!

Gonzosan -

What day are you on, if you're W30ing? This feeling is reeeeaaalllly common sometime between days 10 and 15. For most people, I've noticed it only lasts a day or two. But, for some it can last a little longer. Make sure you're eating enough starch and fat, do exactly as Johnny said and find something exciting to eat, and maybe take some time to journal what you're feeling and what that makes you want to do/eat/whatever.

I would try a new recipe and maybe get outside and soak up some sunshine...

Everyone has different reasons for a slump but one thing that is universal to each of us that experience it...a treat will not make you feel better...only worse and probably even in more of a slump tomorrow!

If it were me I'd make myself a nice plate of spicy chicken wings with a side of celery and homemade ranch then head out for a brisk walk sans sunscreen for a boost of Vitamin D!

Gonzosan is deployed in Kuwait, so food options are very limited, with very long days working. I commend you Gonzosan for what you are doing and keeping this up! I enjoy reading your posts daily!

Get the recipe book, Well Fed! It has saved me from feeling deprived or bored with food choices - and everything is really easy to make. You can get it instantly as an ebook for $15 (instant gratification for a mood lift without breaking the Whole30!). I also noticed that you can check out a free 30 page sampler for free: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/wellfed/

I'm about to post a tasty Indian recipe in the recipe section right now - certain to add zip and variety to your meal plan.

Thank you Summer for pointing that out, yes I am deployed to Kuwait, so my options are limited because I have to eat all my meals at the chow hall (cafeteria) and usually 70% of whats being served is either not appetizing or non-compliant. Robin I'm now on day 8 of my Whole30, and actually I do believe what I ate had a lot to do with how I was feeling. For lunch all I had were basically chicken skewers (just chicken) with hot sauce and a pineapple cup. Not much in the form of nutrition. I noticed this right away when I ate dinner, and had some chicken stew, baked ham and steamed carrots with an apple. Afterward I felt much better. No worries about wanting to slip up, I usually get cravings but at this point I won't cheat. I know cheat foods won't make me feel better, and I'm learning new ways to deal with these urges. I remember reading an article that talked about changing bad habits. Like if you had the urge to go out and eat a cookie, just go out and take a walk. Grab an apple, or something to replace that habit everytime it comes up.

Also I realize I may be working too hard too often. I usually do some intensive kettlebell workouts that last usually only 30 mins, but 28 or so of those minutes I'm constantly moving either with a KB in hand or something to keep my heart rate up. This morning was brutal. I did a morning workout and feel worse than I was yesterday. I may need to space my workouts more, or just make some of them more lower intensity "heavy lifting" days than the interval training I do every other day. Thanks for the advice all. It's time like these you tend to see how strong you are, and once the initial stress factor starts to calm down a bit I'm glad I'm still hanging in there.

Oh and Johnny M I appreciate the sentiment, but no need to send me anything. Besides I'm not a big fan of jerky or anything of that sort. Otherwise I'd probably stock up on some paleo snack kits or something. I did get some pistachios though, maybe it'll help me.

Archived