SO BORED OF BREAKFAST

NotACaveboyNotYetACaveman

Hey all,

I did the Whole 30 this summer and have been mostly paleo ever since. I've maintained my weight, feeling great, etc etc, except for one thing: I am BORED TO DEATH of breakfast. I usually have some sort of egg/veggie scramble, sometimes with meat or bacon, sometimes just the eggs, but I'm getting so sick of it.

I really miss the days of just grabbing a bowl of cereal in the morning - not because I have some horrible relationship with cereal or grains or anything, but simply because I find cooking in the morning to be a major inconvenience, and I'm sick of eggs.

Any ideas for paleo friendly breakfast foods? My preference is towards quick eats, but honestly I'm open to anything.

Side note: how many eggs per week is too many? My gf keeps saying my cholesterol is gonna be through the roof if I keep eating 3 eggs every morning (that's 21 per week!!)...Thoughts?

I've never been a big egg eater. I cook up a bunch of chicken legs and freeze them. I just pull a couple out to thaw an eat them cold with a sweet potato or other veg for breakfast. I love salsa so a lot of times I add an avacodo with salsa on it. I had leftover pot roast for breakfast yesterday.

It doesn't have to be "breakfast" foods. Just some meat, some veggies and some fat. However you want!

There's a good video of Dr. Peter Attia's talk at this year's AHS about cholesterol, but basically: cholesterol is so important for normal body function and it is a VERY tightly regulated system that the couple hundred milligrams you eat in eggs every morning is a DROP IN THE BUCKET of what is always stored in your body. It's like worrying whether spitting in a pool is going to cause it to overflow.

I cook up a bunch of veggies by steaming them. Then I have them to do a quick saute in ghee..veggies done. I also make homemade pork sausage that is so easy and tasty. I love eggs any time of day, but leftover meat from the night before is an easy fix. My "breakfast" often doesn't look like breakfast. :)

I hate even having to think what to have for breakfast in the morning so, every night when i have dinner, I try to make sure there's enough leftovers for breakfast. I have a deep saute pan with a lid and I throw everything in that with some coconut oil. I put it on a low to medium heat, stick the lid on and go and do whatever I have to do. 5 - 10 minutes later i come back turn the heat up, swish everything round the pan and serve it up. Today I had meat with brussel sprouts, green beans and spaghetti squash.

I also make sure that I have several individual portions of cooked meat, usually brisket or pork, in the freezer. Then, if no leftovers, i just pull one of them out and throw it in the pan with cooked veggies (I have about a week's supply of them in the fridge). I'm all for making mornings as easy as possible.

My go-to breakfast is bananas sliced and dipped in egg/tapioca flour mixture, then cooked in coconut oil, and a fried egg or two, usually with whatever vegetable I have left over or some sliced cucumber, or I top the egg with avocado and fresh salsa. The egg mixture to dip the bananas is just three eggs beaten with 1/3 cup tapioca flour and I can use it 2-3 times so I keep it in a tupperware.

Fried bananas = heaven, especially when the bananas are just slightly over-ripe. YUM

• 2 weeks later...

I would caution against a nut and coconut milk breakfast. A meal like that isn't going to provide as much satiety as say eggs and veg or meat and veg and eating a compliant cereal isn't doing much to change old habits and form new ones.

I usually just eat left overs for breakfast, but every now and then I make this grain free granola. It has 1 Tbsp on honey for the whole batch but you could try making it without. Pour some almond milk or some coconut milk over it and it's just like cereal :)

Hey Lisa,

While that is fine for a paleo diet, it would not be encouraged as part of a whole30. I like what Tom one of the moderators says about something like this...it would be "pushing other foods off your plate" such as vegetables, fats and proteins. Additionally, this is about changing our relationship with food.

To be honest, I made a paleo granola earlier this week. I had one serving as you suggested. I then found myself repeatedly sticking my hand in the jar for more. It was "food without brakes" and had to be banished immediately!

Totally agree KB, and I might add that I'm currently nut free because I can't control myself when it comes to nuts :) Only offered it up as a suggestion (to be made without the honey) because the OP said :

I really miss the days of just grabbing a bowl of cereal in the morning - not because I have some horrible relationship with cereal or grains or anything, but simply because I find cooking in the morning to be a major inconvenience, and I'm sick of eggs.

Which I took to mean that she didn't have a bad relationship with cereal and that it wasn't a trigger food for her like it is for me.

I've eaten leftover soup, stew, or chili for breakfast - or cook up a breakfast beef steak with a side of spinach and onions cooked in coconut oil. Sometimes my daughter and I make homemade sausage patties from ground pork and the suggested Italian sausage seasoning blend in Well Fed, with the spinach/onion thing (I make that most days). Really, if you don't want to cook, make some crock pot dish on the weekend you can eat for breakfast all week long. Hits the spot every time for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I often sauté onions, apple, sweet potato, kale, and whatever other veggies I have around in coconut oil and then I mix in shredded chicken and top it with salsa, sauerkraut, and/or avocado. Sometimes I skip the chicken and stick some fried eggs on top. This makes a great breakfast because you can make a couple batches at once to last you for a few days

Can you heat up your breakfast once you get to work? I don't have the patience to eat at home, so I make 5 servings of breakfast on Sundays, then just grab one and heat it up at the office every morning (I do have the luxury of getting there within an hour of waking up). Here are some of my favorites:

Breakfast Sausage

Egg "Muffins"

Zucchini Hash Rounds

Pork Plantain Cuban Breakfast Hash

Apple Squash and Bacon Hash

Pumpkin "Oatmeal" (This is not like oatmeal at all, but very good. Just leave out the maple syrup)

Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash

Hope that helps!

I make a bunch of this (as a hash, not patties) and reheat in the microwave each morning -- http://paleomg.com/sweet-potato-and-apple-breakfast-patties/

Also, if you bake a bunch of sweet potatoes ahead of time, you can have one with almond butter for breakfast -- it's really yummy.

Those have been my go-to breakfasts (which I usually have about four hours after I first wake up).

• 2 months later...

Side note: how many eggs per week is too many? My gf keeps saying my cholesterol is gonna be through the roof if I keep eating 3 eggs every morning (that's 21 per week!!)...Thoughts?

Erm... she's horribly mistaken. Sorry--but that's been disproven over and over again. The only way you are eating too many eggs is if you are bankrupting yourself doing so. Follow the meal planning template, and as long as you're doing that, you're more than golden :)

Also, have you tried my egg muffins???

-8 eggs

-veggies of your choice (I like spinach, onions, bell peppers, kale, and mushrooms)

-compliant meat (I like to use ground turkey, pre-pan-fried till no longer pink)

-Heat oven to 325

-Lightly grease muffin tins with coconut oil

-Put a layer of turkey into bottom of tins

-Whisk eggs and veg together in a large bowl

-Fill tins with egg mixture 2/3 full

-Bake for 20 min or until golden brown

omnomnomnom :D

I have decided I don't like HB eggs (unless they're deviled!), and unless I want to make a frittata in advance and slice up pieces to take to work, I don't bother with eggs during the week. I usually make some chicken salad, or eat something like chocolate chili or meatballs.

Here's a recent article from the Huffingtonpost that debunks the myth of eggs raising cholesterol level: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dain-wallis/eggs-healthy-food_b_2968318.html

I like leftover brisket or pulled pork for breakfast, or meatballs, or the spinach meat muffins from the Well Fed cookbook. I have been really into sauteed cabbage with any of those items lately. Or! Acorn squash stuffed with sausage, kale, onion, and apple. I usually get enough to make 4 squash halves - you really can just grab & go with those. Warm them up at work, etc. Ooh, ooh - or! Ground turkey, bell peppers and onions mixed with coconut milk and curry, then serve on top of mashed sweet potatoes (or under them, like a shepherd's pie). Obviously make this the night before and you're good to go.

Good luck - I feel your pain!

Ok.....here is my favorite breakfast of all time. Ok, of all whole30. It REALLY scratches the porridge itch but the brakes work fine, even though it is delicious.

It does take a little weekend prep but then in the morning, it's easy peasy.

Bake a few sweet potatoes until nice and soft. Saute a couple of pounds of ground beef with finely chopped onions until the onions are soft and the meat is cooked through. Keep separately in the refrigerator.

In the morning, mash some sweet potato into a saucepan, add a palm or two of the beef mixture, 1/2 can of coconut milk (diluted with a little water) and a good swish of cinnamon. Heat through and keep stirring until it is hot and the consistency of porridge. I just made that this morning and it was just............so...................lovely. It's going to be a morning staple for me, since I can't eat eggs because the AIP!

Pea

Archived