Introduction, and looking forward to feeling better!

Elizabeth Anne

Hi everyone,

My name is Elizabeth, and I'm planning to start my first Whole30 on either January 1st or 2nd. I'm in this so that I can get control of my sugar dragon (I love that ISWF calls it that) and get rid of my chronic heartburn. Anything beyond that will be a welcome bonus, but really for me it's all about the sugar and the 'burn right now.

I've had food allergies for years -- developed an issue with dairy when I was about 12 and an allergy to wheat when I was about 20 -- and finally stopped eating wheat altogether when I was about 25. I've been counting myself lucky for a while now that I live in a time and place where gluten-free products are readily available, but now I'm looking back on that and wondering just how much of a crutch they've become for me, and how much better off I might be without any grain-based products at all. Likewise with dairy products, especially goat cheese. I do love goat cheese, but I don't think it loves me back.

I've also had heartburn for years. I was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor (omeprazole) by my doctor about 5 years ago and stayed on it until a few months ago. I stopped taking it after reading the Primal Blueprint and trying out the PB eating style for a few weeks. That did take care of my heartburn after about 2 weeks while I was compliant, but that was a month or two ago now, and the 'burn is back and as bad as it ever was. Hence my recommitment to eating in a way that I know is better for my body.

I expect that one of my biggest challenges is going to be not having a spoonful of honey along with my cup of tea in the morning. I think I spent most of a week after reading ISWF being peeved at the thought of giving that up. For now, I've got a lot of one-ingredient herbal teas on hand and am hoping that having nettle tea or lemon balm tea or whatever will be different enough from black tea that I won't crave the honey as badly. Right now my goal is to get through any caffeine withdrawal that I might need to get through before starting the Whole30, so that I won't be fighting two battles at once! If you've got suggestions or advice on what worked for you with similar situations, I would love to hear them. :)

Finally -- does anyone else live in Chicago? I think it would be awesome to have a local check-in group in addition to posting on here. I know I do a lot better for accountability when I have a scheduled time and place to go meet with people in person. :)

Cheers!

In the interest of getting into the habit of keeping a log, I'm starting that now, even though I don't intend to actually begin my Whole30 until January. I figure this food-and-feelings log will help too, since it'll provide a "before" picture. :)

Yesterday's food:

ground beef cooked with bell pepper, cashews, and celery

a handful of celery sticks

some almond butter

roasted veg (red peppers and portobella mushrooms)

herbal tea

turkey gumbo (noncompliant due to GF flour in the roux)

more herbal tea

a banana

...I think I ate some more veggies along with the gumbo, but I don't remember what they were

and 3 cookies (noncompliant -- spelt flour and dairy and sugar).

Heartburn started after meal 2 and was at about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 is worst. I had sugar cravings much of the evening, was more hungry after the cookies than I had been before them, and stayed up until nearly 1 AM without much awareness of what time it was. Mood was okay. Stress is still moderately high due to delayed holiday shopping and housemates not feeling well.

Today, so far:

3 eggs cooked in bacon fat (probably not compliant, since the bacon fat may still have sugar in it)

a bit of store-bought mayo (not compliant; sugar in ingredients)

leftover mushrooms (not compliant -- they were originally cooked with a honey sauce)

nettle tea (which I don't like as much without honey, sadly :( )

a banana

water

Sugar craving not too bad, but energy levels not all that high, either. And I'm still vaguely hungry -- probably not enough fat in that meal. I need to figure out what I'm going to do for veg for Meal 1, and for high-carb veg and crunchy veg in general. I like sweet potatoes, but I don't want to burn out on them, and I like bell peppers and celery and snap peas for crunch... but that's not much of a palette to draw from, yet. I think I may take my housemate's suggestion and start eating salad early in the day so that I don't get in a rut with eggs for Meal 1.

Reading this, I'm realizing how set in my ways I've become about what kinds of food I cook at which times during the day. I definitely have ideas about what constitutes "breakfast food" and "dinner." I'm not exactly looking forward to the process of shaking that up, since I am very much a creature of habit... but I'm sure it will be good for me in the end.

Last week I followed a "loose" paleo diet (I ate only paleo meals, and mostly paleo snacks, but a few non-paleo items as well). I felt so much better than I do this week...can't wait to start up again - and I'm really looking forward to feeling AWESOME when I totally commit to my whole30 in a week and a half!

Archived