Eggs.

AmyS

Meh.

I've been boiling them up for a quick breakfast. The kiddoes do great with them, so I'm going to keep them in the act (err, both eggs and kiddoes, just so ya know). But I'm kinda not loving them so much (the eggs I mean - the kids rock my world). And scrambling them (again, the eggs...) in olive oil is not rocking my world either.

However, I would like to love eggs, since when I do eat them I feel great. It's one of those weird situations where I don't particularly enjoy the consumption, but the effect is awesome. I feel energized for hours and my tummy is very happy.

Thoughts? (I'm looking for easy, by the way.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use ghee or coconut oil to scramble my eggs, each oil gives them a unique flavor. You might want to try adding some herbs or spices to mix things up a bit. Add in veggies and meat. I like to saute spinach and some meat the pour three beaten eggs over that and scramble'em up right quick. You could also try fritattas or egg "muffins". I think there are a few egg recipes in the recipe section.

Try spicing them up... I sauté an avacado in some coconut oil until lightly brown ( I dump in other veg as well ) add the eggs( scrambled or I like them like sunny side ) and them I sprinkle with some homemade chile powder ( blend of eight different chiles.... I suggest you experiment. They really add kick with out to much heat). Remindes me of chilaquillas if I add some homemade chorizo....

AmyS... I've seen on a few of your posts that your pallet is getting tired of the same ole things..... IMO, it's time to really go out of your comfort zone and experiment with exotics spices/ herbs.... I buy 5 different kinds of paprika, about 10 chiles,cardamom,cumin,coriander,black seed,brown mustard,fenugreek,ginger,turmeric root,and tons of fresh herbs.... I toast,grind,marinate,etc..... Lots of good receipts out there to experiment with..... I promise you it's worth it.....

As you are in Hawaii .... What about local markets? I'm sure there are several types of ginger,vanilla,taro leaves, sea vegetables, sea food, (get some local caught fish and marinate on kombo leaves for 1/2 hour and then grill with ginger, scallion, lilliqoy,and crumbled macadamia)

Ok ok. Chef talk over ..... I know it's tough sometimes but you have to trust your body....if eggs make you feel great....eat eggs... Just spice them up...

I favour last night's leftovers for breakfast (or lunch or dinner or all 3 :) ). However if there's not enough, I'll just saute what I have, meat, veg etc and then crack a couple of eggs in and scramble them round in the pan. That way, I don't even really notice it's eggs i'm eating as all the other flavours blend in. If necessary, some hot sauce sprinkled over livens anything.

One very easy add-in to eggs to mix it up and add some flavor is tomato paste. I buy the kind in the tube (from Trader Joe's) and squeeze a little into my eggs as they are scrambling then add salt, pepper, and usually some cayenne for heat. Not to mention that I always throw in some veggies to my eggs so there is more on my plate and so it doesn't taste the same every morning.

Have you tried frying up some bacon, keeping it in the fridge, and crumbling a slice into your eggs for flavor? It works wonders :)

I use ghee or coconut oil to scramble my eggs, each oil gives them a unique flavor. You might want to try adding some herbs or spices to mix things up a bit. Add in veggies and meat. I like to saute spinach and some meat the pour three beaten eggs over that and scramble'em up right quick. You could also try fritattas or egg "muffins". I think there are a few egg recipes in the recipe section.

I hadn't tried any other oils, I'll try coconut next. I like the idea of making a quick fritata/scramble. And I'll search for eggs in the recipe section too, thanks!

Try spicing them up... I sauté an avacado in some coconut oil until lightly brown ( I dump in other veg as well ) add the eggs( scrambled or I like them like sunny side ) and them I sprinkle with some homemade chile powder ( blend of eight different chiles.... I suggest you experiment. They really add kick with out to much heat). Remindes me of chilaquillas if I add some homemade chorizo....

AmyS... I've seen on a few of your posts that your pallet is getting tired of the same ole things..... IMO, it's time to really go out of your comfort zone and experiment with exotics spices/ herbs.... I buy 5 different kinds of paprika, about 10 chiles,cardamom,cumin,coriander,black seed,brown mustard,fenugreek,ginger,turmeric root,and tons of fresh herbs.... I toast,grind,marinate,etc..... Lots of good receipts out there to experiment with..... I promise you it's worth it.....

As you are in Hawaii .... What about local markets? I'm sure there are several types of ginger,vanilla,taro leaves, sea vegetables, sea food, (get some local caught fish and marinate on kombo leaves for 1/2 hour and then grill with ginger, scallion, lilliqoy,and crumbled macadamia)

Ok ok. Chef talk over ..... I know it's tough sometimes but you have to trust your body....if eggs make you feel great....eat eggs... Just spice them up...

You know, I think you have it exactly right. I'm getting tired of the same thing, and I'm ready to expand my palate. I was nodding the whole time I was reading your post. In fact, that one element is THE reason I'm seriously considering doing a Whole100 starting in January - so I can really really REALLY learn to cook and eat this way. I love all of your ideas and I think it will take me 100 days to learn even the basics of how to implement them. (Or I could win the Powerball and hire you as my personal chef. Whichever.)

I favour last night's leftovers for breakfast (or lunch or dinner or all 3 :) ). However if there's not enough, I'll just saute what I have, meat, veg etc and then crack a couple of eggs in and scramble them round in the pan. That way, I don't even really notice it's eggs i'm eating as all the other flavours blend in. If necessary, some hot sauce sprinkled over livens anything.

I do love dinner for breakfast (always have, actually). But I am really aware that my body seems to do well with eggs as fuel, and for some reason I think of eggs as breakfast. Perhaps I could revise that notion and think of eggs as any time of the day food. Hm...

Have you seen the Well Fed cookbook? I go to her website often for ideas. She uses spices and flavors and they're really good!

http://www.theclothe.../recipes-index/

My kids like plain ol' egg whites. :shudder: I keep some spice blends handy for my food. I really like sliced avocado, egg, and some hot sauce! :)

You know, I did get that book, and I do plan to delve into it deeply in the new year. I'm glad to know it's got good egg stuff too. Reading it has made me very excited. Yeah, my kids are all about the egg whites. Weirdos.

One very easy add-in to eggs to mix it up and add some flavor is tomato paste. I buy the kind in the tube (from Trader Joe's) and squeeze a little into my eggs as they are scrambling then add salt, pepper, and usually some cayenne for heat. Not to mention that I always throw in some veggies to my eggs so there is more on my plate and so it doesn't taste the same every morning.

Have you tried frying up some bacon, keeping it in the fridge, and crumbling a slice into your eggs for flavor? It works wonders :)

OMG I LOOOOOVE tomato paste. Seriously I can eat it straight up. I also adore bacon and eggs. I haven't found any compliant bacon on the island though. I think this may be the flavor element I'm reaching for, mentally, when I'm all "meh" about my eggs these days. But tomato paste? Hellzyeah.

Thank you all. Except now I'm hungry. And it's like 4:30 a.m. Ha!

. (Or I could win the Powerball and hire you as my personal chef. Whichever.)

Oh please, oh please, oh please...... Just think....I'd spearfish every morning, hike mountainous terrain for exotic vegetation every afternoon...... Lol. Oh yeah... I'd have to win the powerball to do that!!!

. (Or I could win the Powerball and hire you as my personal chef. Whichever.)

Oh please, oh please, oh please...... Just think....I'd spearfish every morning, hike mountainous terrain for exotic vegetation every afternoon...... Lol. Oh yeah... I'd have to win the powerball to do that!!!

I had a feeling the idea would be appealing. Haha If only that darn Powerball would strike with more frequency than lightning.

If you can't find bacon use prosciutto, it gives the same flavors but there are usually a few options that are just pork and salt!

That sounds very luxurious!! Must try.

Diced pork belly works great also....

I looked at some in the grocery store the other day and almost picked it up, but I think I'll wait until my January new start to venture into pork belly. It was hellacheap, so BONUS.

Making your own bacon is right up there with making mayo and ghee. Fabulosity! :0)

I've got the mayo down, so the new year should be bringing me homemade bacon and ghee, I guess?

Who knew this eating plan would turn me into a person who cooks real food. Heh.

Eggs - 90% of the time I eat them nowadays (translation: now that I am eating them for breakfast most days) I fry them in coconut oil. I use a stainless steel pan and get the oil nice and hot first, then crack that sucker right in the pan. They cook fast, I like the yolks soft in the middle (not quite watery, usually) and they're done in just a few minutes. My challenge has been learning to flip them without breaking the yolk. Five months of straight practice and I'm getting better! Haha

Archived