Eggs.

AmyS

I'm doing it -- I'm going to try my VERY FIRST sardine (ever!) this morning, just as Melissa (Abberantatavia) suggested above ...but probably with just a sardine or two instead of half a can. Baby steps.

My favorite breakfast is sauted spinach and sweet potatoes with a couple of fried eggs and then half a can of sardines on top.

Will keep a straight face the best I can. Hoping it goes over well, it'd be awesome to add sardines to my culinary repertoire!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verdict - didn't love, but didn't hate. Tasted very similar to canned tuna. Might try them again in another format... might be that breakfast is too early in the day for me to be this adventurous.

0a19b60267d311e2b7d622000a1f968a_6.jpg

3dbaa15667d311e2947622000a9e138b_6.jpg

That is one lonely sardine leftover on that plate.

If you have ever made Melissa Joulwan's zucchini et aglio, sardines are fabulous when added to that. Okay...maybe you are not ready for that quite yet. Sardines, finely chopped carrot, celery, homemade mayo - boom baby. An amazing lunch!

You should be proud of yourself!

Just wanted to chime in with my favorite breakfast of the moment: a handful of shredded sweet potatoes (you can shred them with the attachment on a food processor) and a handful of shredded carrots cooked in the skillet with some ghee/coconut oil/duck fat like a hash (usually with cumin and chipotle powder), in a bowl, with two fried eggs on top.

I often cook my eggs in duck fat. If you haven't tried duck fat yet, it might be worth checking out - it really gives a different taste to eggs. Pricey, but when you're getting bored with cooking, totally worth it.

Ann, that's awesome! Woohoo!

You might try different brands, some I don't care for at all. I found that I really only love trader joes boneless and skinless ones. The rest I could do in a pinch but they aren't my favorite.

The first time I tried brussel sprouts I kind of felt the same way. Now I really enjoy them.

At least now you know you don't hate them, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Might be too late tonight--depending where you are in the world--but what about deviled eggs for breakfast along with a veggie saute?? I also discovered a totally yummy recipe (it is from the paleo bread website, but I eat it on cucumber or scooped up with celery) is to mash 3 hard boiled eggs with a half an avocado, toss in a sliced scallion, some spicy mustard, chopped kalamata olives and seasoned up with your seasoning of choice.YUM! it is my current brekkie of choice but would be divine for lunch too!

I made buffalo deviled eggs for the superbowl yesterday and LOVED them for breakfast this morning. Mashed up the yolks, mayo, frank's red hot, lime juice, and scallions. NOM.

i also like to do deviled eggs with mayo, capers, parsley, and diced anchovies. :)

Talking about eggs! Has anyone seen the post on pintrest about doing 'hard boiled' eggs in the oven? Well I did a dozen today, using one of my muffin tins and they came out GREAT! I baked them for 25 minutes at 325 and let them sit in cold water for 10 minutes and my 'test subject' peeled like a dream. Creamy center, the white wasn't rubbery... the only 'down' was there were some brown spots where the egg touched metal. I guess if you were going to do deviled eggs for company, that might be a down, but for general use, nothing I would worry about. Pretty cool if you want to walk away from your eggs and not worry about when they come to a boil, and if you have a ton to do! No cracks, no explosions. Pretty cool if you ask me! Maybe make your ghee in the oven at the same time?? lol

I tried baking them once, but our oven is ridiculously horrible at keeping an even temp, so they didn't end up cooking correctly and I had to throw 2 dozen eggs away. If I'd been smart I would have only tried a few at a time. Now I know for the next experiment.

• 3 months later...

Archived