Day two! So Day one went pretty well, although my boyfriend bought a giant pack of oreos which was very tempting. ( obviously, he is NOT doing the Whole30). I have had al ittle headache, but I think that is because i am drinking tea instead of coffee (can't drink coffee black, no dairy!) I am realizing I need to focus on two things. 1) drink more water! I saw that for a lot of people with heartburn, drinking more water helps more. 2) need to eat more veggies. I eat some veggies with every meal, but looking at the template in ISWF, it's def not enough.

How closely are people following the meal templates? I haven't had enough fat in some of my meals, and bigger servings of protein. Any thoughts on using the templates?

Meal one: eggs and cabbage

Meal two: pulled pork, lettuce, salsa,

Meal three: ground beef, spinach, onion, eggs, a little salsa,

How do you start a log on this website?

Good luck everyone!

1) You are correct about the water...1/2 your body weight in ounces per day if you are exercising along with your whole 30; and at least 2 ltr/day.

2) have you tried canned coconut milk in your coffeee? I love my coffee; and it took only a few cups to get used to it

3) they have a section at the bottom of the forums for "Your Whole 30 Log" - just start your own thread; and post your daily meals...I edit my log throughout the day so I don't forget anything...it is way easier than doing a paper log/or a phone log...and gives me way more freedom! :)

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! I started on the 2nd as well, but this is my first post on the forum. I've been eating paleo to see if it would help my health issues, and while I've lost a lot of weight, my migraines are still constant! I ate horribly throughout the holidays and gained a few pounds back, and now I'm hoping the stricter plan will be the "reset" that I need. Today I'm back in bed with a migraine, and I'm hoping it's just some form of withdrawal symptoms from the lack of sugar after my holiday binge. Good luck everyone...it sounds like you're all as excited about this challenge as I am!

Hello, all!! Happy Day 2!!

Must tell you that I feel so much better being back on Whole30. I bought the Kindle version of ISWF and am reading it to get a better perspective.

I CANNOT stress enough how great the Nom Nom Paleo iPad App/Blog (W30 approved) is with recipes. I made her Spicy Tuna cakes, and they make a great breakfast or even quick lunch to pack for work.

Does the app work for iPhone?

Hi! I am so happy to be here!

1/2 was my Day1 or what I coined my "Cold Turkey" day. I am a marathoner, but have been an avid pseudo-athlete most my life. 4 years ago, life "interfered" and I fell asleep behind the wheel of my life, letting life happen TO me instead of being an active participant with choices in every moment. 2009 I hit the gym with free weights and then started doing Crossfit, reclaiming my life the way I envisioned it for myself.

However, I have been scratching my head for over a year now not understanding why I was still “thick†or overweight when I thought I had a “very clean†diet and run between 20 to 40 miles per week with cross-training of CrossFit, Spin Class, TRX and Hot Yoga. My body seems to be holding onto the weight, the scale won't budge and I don't always feel 100%.

With the awareness of being diagnosed with Hashitmotos Thyroiditis, I have always made sure to test my thyroid levels – which have been in check and in great ranges for the past 5 years. I decided to add to the regular tests and get tested for for cross-reactivity of food and automminue deficiencies. Conveniently, a day before Thanksgiving, my results came back to discover some major food allergies and that I have Leaky Gut. (Doesn't that sound appetizing?). My doctor recommended that I go on an Autoimmune Diet that is very specific and falls in exact line with Whole30, which I discovered from ordering and reading It Starts with Food.

WHO KNEW MY “NATURAL†FOODS I EAT HAD HIDDEN SUGAR, CORN OR SOY?! Wow! It has been an eye opener!

So relieved that I get to start feeling better, have more energy and in turn more strength and endurance. And if weight-loss comes with it, even more fabulousness!

Hi all!

My name is Laura and I am a first year graduate student/class of 2012 alumna at Notre Dame (Go Irish, beat 'Bama!). I just finished up Day 2 of my first Whole30, and it feels amazing! I simply wanted to say that the forums here have been an incredible resource--I read them every chance I get--and if anyone has advice for living Whole30 while on a shoestring grad student budget, I would be so grateful!!

Day 2 - DONE! Today I had to go to a seminar at which everyone was eating pizza and cookies. I was sooo tempted, but only sipped my water. So glad I made it without giving in, because my lemon butter (ghee) whiting fillet and sweet potato tasted so much better, and left me feeling so much better than if I had eaten that unhealthy stuff! Although my husband is not sticking to the program, his support is helpful. It also makes me feel like we'll be able to transition our kids to more paleo-based eating.

This weekend, I'm going to spend some more time planning my meals - and one snack since I will be working out.

Hi all!

My name is Laura and I am a first year graduate student/class of 2012 alumna at Notre Dame (Go Irish, beat 'Bama!). I just finished up Day 2 of my first Whole30, and it feels amazing! I simply wanted to say that the forums here have been an incredible resource--I read them every chance I get--and if anyone has advice for living Whole30 while on a shoestring grad student budget, I would be so grateful!!

I believe there is a pin I have on this...I'll try to look for it this evening; and post it for you.

Until then: keep it simple. Eggs and chicken are your best bets at the grocery. You probably won't be able to afford the organic, or grass fed stuff...that is okay...you can get to that later. Don't worry about organic fruits & veggies yet either. Just do your best.

Eggs/Sweet Potato/Chicken/Mixed Greens/Frozen fruits & veggies are a great buy (spinach/green beans/squash/berries...etc.)

Some coconut oil/avocado/canned olives

Good Luck! :)

Day 2 - DONE! Today I had to go to a seminar at which everyone was eating pizza and cookies. I was sooo tempted, but only sipped my water. So glad I made it without giving in, because my lemon butter (ghee) whiting fillet and sweet potato tasted so much better, and left me feeling so much better than if I had eaten that unhealthy stuff! Although my husband is not sticking to the program, his support is helpful. It also makes me feel like we'll be able to transition our kids to more paleo-based eating.

This weekend, I'm going to spend some more time planning my meals - and one snack since I will be working out.

Awesome job staying strong!

I would make that post-workout snack a meal (small sweet potato & chicken - little or no fat) :)

Hi again everyone,

Congrats on getting through today :)

I wanted to share my blog-y thing following my progress and maybe some recipes if I come up with anything delicious! Let me know if you're blogging somewhere!!! (I am new to tumblr and have no idea how it works, but I hope to get the hang of it soon!)

http://omnicientowlet.tumblr.com/

Happy whole fooding!!!

Plan on looking at this during the coming weekend!

Hi! I am so happy to be here!

1/2 was my Day1 or what I coined my "Cold Turkey" day. I am a marathoner, but have been an avid pseudo-athlete most my life. 4 years ago, life "interfered" and I fell asleep behind the wheel of my life, letting life happen TO me instead of being an active participant with choices in every moment. 2009 I hit the gym with free weights and then started doing Crossfit, reclaiming my life the way I envisioned it for myself.

However, I have been scratching my head for over a year now not understanding why I was still “thick†or overweight when I thought I had a “very clean†diet and run between 20 to 40 miles per week with cross-training of CrossFit, Spin Class, TRX and Hot Yoga. My body seems to be holding onto the weight, the scale won't budge and I don't always feel 100%.

With the awareness of being diagnosed with Hashitmotos Thyroiditis, I have always made sure to test my thyroid levels – which have been in check and in great ranges for the past 5 years. I decided to add to the regular tests and get tested for for cross-reactivity of food and automminue deficiencies. Conveniently, a day before Thanksgiving, my results came back to discover some major food allergies and that I have Leaky Gut. (Doesn't that sound appetizing?). My doctor recommended that I go on an Autoimmune Diet that is very specific and falls in exact line with Whole30, which I discovered from ordering and reading It Starts with Food.

WHO KNEW MY “NATURAL†FOODS I EAT HAD HIDDEN SUGAR, CORN OR SOY?! Wow! It has been an eye opener!

So relieved that I get to start feeling better, have more energy and in turn more strength and endurance. And if weight-loss comes with it, even more fabulousness!

You have a great story! So glad you are in this with us. :)

Happy Friday Everyone!

What are you doing to prepare yourself for the weekend?

I know for me; my kids and SO do not eat the way I eat; so weekends can be challenging sometimes. I usually plan my shopping on Saturday morning; and get that done...make sure to exercise both days (Monday is my exercise rest day); and stay active online (here, facebook, pinterest, recipe hunting). I keep it as simple as possible...and maybe try one new meal a week to spice it up. I prep my foods on Sundays (clean veggies & prep them...grill some chicken...make a crock pot stew...maybe some bone broth...maybe boil a dozen eggs)

What is your routine; and what can I learn from you? :)

heathera, you are a big motivation, thanks a lot!

My plan for the weekend is to try new recipes with the red kale, some radish, and the cauliflower I bought - let's see who of my roomies wants to try. The girls for sure, not so sure about their bfriends though... we'll see.

Learn from my routine? I think you're way ahead of me when it comes to that ;) I need to get better in preparing. I might start to do that this weekend, in fact, that's a good plan, do prep cooking on Sunday night added to the weekend plan!

Have a wonderful weekend, all of you!

Happy Friday Everyone!

What are you doing to prepare yourself for the weekend?

I know for me; my kids and SO do not eat the way I eat; so weekends can be challenging sometimes. I usually plan my shopping on Saturday morning; and get that done...make sure to exercise both days (Monday is my exercise rest day); and stay active online (here, facebook, pinterest, recipe hunting). I keep it as simple as possible...and maybe try one new meal a week to spice it up. I prep my foods on Sundays (clean veggies & prep them...grill some chicken...make a crock pot stew...maybe some bone broth...maybe boil a dozen eggs)

What is your routine; and what can I learn from you? :)

Ooh, hard boiled eggs, excellent idea! I am planning on doing the same with veggie/protein prep, although I still enjoy cooking fresh each day. I want to find some new veggies this week to expand my horizons. I've been pretty much sticking with my normal fare, only better quality and more conscious about it (and forcing myself to eat 3x a day).

Sorry I'm a few days late finding this forum topic. Newbie to Whole 30 & cooking more lol, and on day 3! Boyfriend is on board too! :)

Woke up feeling energized & stomach not bloated. Foggy headache is kicking in. Assuming sugar withdrawals.

I am a long distance runner, training for my first ultra. Weight train 4 times a week. Sorta lost what to eat Pre/Post workouts (easily digestible foods) & during my long runs, I use to eat Stingers, Ultima replenish electrolytes, GU's.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Today is Day 18... still going strong.

Sadly, I just learned that Sirachi has sugar. So technically I cheated last week. And I chewed gum (which I just found out isn't okay). And I had 1/3 of a glass of champagne on New Year's Eve.

So maybe I should say it is day 4 for me. My goal is Feb 1, anyhow.

I am feeling good. My AM workouts are a little less vigorous, but I am more hungry when I wake up.

Keep it up, everyone!

I have rediscovered that nuts are a "food with no brakes" for me. I learned this during my first W30 and got off of them altogether. This time, I wanted to indulge and totally overate nuts and fruit. Technically compliant but too much of it. I'm not starting my 30 days over because I look at this as part of healing my relationship with food. Here's to Day 4!

I believe there is a pin I have on this...I'll try to look for it this evening; and post it for you.

Until then: keep it simple. Eggs and chicken are your best bets at the grocery. You probably won't be able to afford the organic, or grass fed stuff...that is okay...you can get to that later. Don't worry about organic fruits & veggies yet either. Just do your best.

Eggs/Sweet Potato/Chicken/Mixed Greens/Frozen fruits & veggies are a great buy (spinach/green beans/squash/berries...etc.)

Some coconut oil/avocado/canned olives

Good Luck! :)

Thank you so much heathera!! I went to Trader Joe's today and ended up with a wonderful little array of compliant foods--Applegate roast beef, broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, canned chicken, light coconut milk, and a small amount of compliant dried fruits/nuts for traveling, which I'll be doing a lot of over the next 8 days. I will definitely keep referring to that grocery list you provided as I navigate the next 27+ days, it's so helpful!! :)

Today is my Day 3. Reading everyone's posts has been very helpful.

I almost always take myself to lunch of Fridays. Sushi, pho, deli, whatever I feel like. Today I came home from my morning appointment and ate leftover turkey chili and a beautiful salad with olives, tomatoes and fennel.

I have found that sipping on hot peppermint tea over the past couple days has been really helpful. I dug my hot mug (a stainless steel one by OXO) out of the pantry and I can't believe how it keeps the tea hot for so long. Lifesaver!

Tonight I am going to see a friends performance at Disneyland. I already have my dinner planned. I am packing a salad with chicken breast, tomato, olives and yellow peppers. Plus I'll have my hot tea and maybe a couple tiny tangerines. I can survive the happiest place on earth as long as I plan accordingly. Right?

Thanks to everyone. These forums are answering all my questions. I feel very supported.

Day 3 complete! Yesterday was rough for me. I felt physically fine, but I had a massive headache, bordering on migraine, all day. Thankfully that was gone today. Today was easier, despite the husband and daughter driving through a McDonald's this evening because they were "starving!" Usually the smell wouldn't bother me - I haven't eaten that crap in years - but I have to admit, it smelled pretty darn good tonight. I'm happy to say I'm still feeling extremely positive about this whole thing. I've tried a number of stricter eating programs in the past that haven't lasted 48 hours. I think being mostly paleo for the past year really prepared me mentally and physically. Looking forward to pushing through the weekend. I'm pretty eager to get the tiger blood flowing :)

Today was REALLY hard for me!! I literally had to talk to myself (aloud) to stay on track. My mistake was not eating a filling enough lunch, and then being so hungry before dinner that I had another headache, and started feeling weak. However, my shrimp and salad was so delicious and satisfying when I got home! I have GOT to plan better if I'm going to make it through days 4-30.

Rough day today. Not the eating part, I'm not having any problem staying on the plan. I just had zero energy. Went for a run. I planned to do 4 miles since I knew I was a little tired (I'm training for a half marathon and I'm up to about 7 miles). At 2.5 I hit a wall...legs jello, felt like I might faint, stomach cramping. I'm embarrassed to say I walked the rest of the way back home. THEN, walked into my CF gym this evening and I see Fran on the board. I got through it, but a full minute and a half slower than my usual (then we ran a mile for "active recovery." I feel like death. My muscles are disporportionately sore for the amount of work I did yesterday. I knew I was going to have an energy dip, I just didn't know it was going to be this bad.

I've read in other posts that I should eat more fat but honestly I'm not sure how much more I could eat. I've put away three eggs and and 1.5 avocado today (and a banana, apple, spoonful of almond butter, probably a lb of ground beef, 1 chicken breast...). I think I ate about the same amount yesterday. I'm 5'2", 140 lbs...I shouldn't need to eat this much! I'm hoping this gets better.

...Also, my muscles have been spasming like crazy all day.

Thank you so much heathera!! I went to Trader Joe's today and ended up with a wonderful little array of compliant foods--Applegate roast beef, broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, canned chicken, light coconut milk, and a small amount of compliant dried fruits/nuts for traveling, which I'll be doing a lot of over the next 8 days. I will definitely keep referring to that grocery list you provided as I navigate the next 27+ days, it's so helpful!! :)

Hello and welcome to the group.

As far as I have understood things, normal coconut milk is better than light :)

Archived