Herbal Tinctures

Becky D

This is a tough question.

a) Doctor/health provider recommendations and prescriptions trump the Whole30 guidelines

B) ALL alcohol products are excluded during the Whole30, so that the message remains consistent (wine for cooking, vanilla extract, etc)

So even if you made your own tincture and are self-medicating, I'm still leaning towards saying they're OK...because I personally think that resorting to a pharmaceutical, so you remain "strictly compliant" seems a little silly and contrary to the program's intentions.

I'm not 100% sure if that's the official party line, but that's the way I see it. I'm going to check in with M&D to see if they can weigh in, though!

Renee is right on the money. These are alternative medical treatments, not sweets or treats. I don't know anyone who is getting their booze fix on by using herbal tinctures! Always follow doctor's orders during your Whole30 - but good on you for being so conscientious and asking about them.

Best,

Melissa

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Certified Medicinal Herbalist here, trying to create whole30/paleo/primal compliant as possible tinctures, we have switched all of our alcohol to grain free 100% organic cane sugar but I am trying to figure out if it would be better to do more glycerin focus instead of alcohol. Can I get a weigh in... We are a paleo/slow carb family who do Whole30 like 2-4 times a year just to keep on top of things. and I love what I do, and would like to make it functional for folks to get the best options for supplements etc.while doing their whole30 / grain free life.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just stressing about this last night; I'm perimenopausal and my hormones are outta control. We're trying some bio-identical herbal hormones that come in an alcohol-based tincture. I'm trying my hardest to avoid synthetic estrogen since it makes me into a raging crazy person. Doctor's orders trump Whole 30 rules, no? It's not like I'm going to drink it to get a buzz on- that stuff is NASTY!

Archived