Turkey or Chicken Free-Range Organic Feed

chigalpaleo

I live in Chicago and all of the places I'm finding that offer free-range or pasture raised turkey and chicken also mention organic feed. 1) Is turkey/chicken given organic feed out of the question for the Whole30 even though it is pasture raised? 2) Does anyone have a good website or know somewhere in Chicago that I could find free-range turkey or chicken not supplemented with any type of feed?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

Lauren

It is rare to find poultry that is not fed some grain. You are above the average situation in that they are fed organic grains. I buy pastured chickens and their eggs from a farm here in Oregon. They are 100% pastured which is why they are seasonal. They do get to peck around in the dirt, bugs and grass but I am quite sure even they are fed grain that is scattered about.

• Moderators

My farmer provides grains to his free-ranging chickens. They have the run of a big area and he gives them a variety of veggies from the farm, but they would be scrawny little birds who laid few eggs if they didn't get the extra feed.

Hi Chigalpaleo, Glad you found a farm in Wisconsin. A great place to find farms that sell direct to consumers is the on-line farmers' market: Home Grown Cow. It's more than a directory as they assist with ordering, cut orders (if buying in bulk), they take credit cards (most farmers want cash), and many of the farms ship if you can't find one that delivers or is near enough for you to drive to. They have farms listed all over the US so others here can use them too. It's just like your weekend farmers' market only without the early hours. Also, just to be clear, it only lists farmers that sell really any kind of meat people raise and cheeses.

Archived