How much fat should I eat?

BraveWhole30

As per the meal template  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf , it's not really clear how much fat I should eat.

It gives a list of fatty items to eat per meal but it does not specify how many items to pick each meal. So for example, a typical meal for me is

• three eggs cooked with thumbsized portions of coconut oil
  • veggies (peppers and mushrooms) also cooked with coconut oil
  • one slice of avocado

Should I also pick another fatty item (like nuts). Or is it enough?

Also, why was this post deleted?

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, BraveWhole30 said:

As per the meal template  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf , it's not really clear how much fat I should eat.

It gives a list of fatty items to eat per meal but it does not specify how many items to pick each meal. So for example, a typical meal for me is

• three eggs cooked with thumbsized portions of coconut oil
  • veggies (peppers and mushrooms) also cooked with coconut oil
  • one slice of avocado

Should I also pick another fatty item (like nuts). Or is it enough?

Also, why was this post deleted?

Your post was not deleted it was merged with your other thread which is discussing the same content.

As was mentioned in your other thread " Whole30 recommendations are a thumb sized amount for oils, not thumbnail and we generally don't count cooking fat because it's often split into portions, stays in the pan or is cooked off, so you're lacking there.'

You can pick a couple of fat sources; say you want chicken salad with avocado, that would be two fat sources. Or you can do a half to a whole avocado or any other fat listed in the meal template.  A slice of avocado isn't enough, you'd want that to be a half to a whole and with the other items you've listed here, that would be the cooking oil so I'd add another fat source to your meals.

Nuts should be limited (think a closed handful every other day at most), so don't use them for every meal :)

5 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Your post was not deleted it was merged with your other thread which is discussing the same content.

As was mentioned in your other thread " Whole30 recommendations are a thumb sized amount for oils, not thumbnail and we generally don't count cooking fat because it's often split into portions, stays in the pan or is cooked off, so you're lacking there.'

You can pick a couple of fat sources; say you want chicken salad with avocado, that would be two fat sources. Or you can do a half to a whole avocado or any other fat listed in the meal template.  A slice of avocado isn't enough, you'd want that to be a half to a whole and with the other items you've listed here, that would be the cooking oil so I'd add another fat source to your meals.

Nuts should be limited (think a closed handful every other day at most), so don't use them for every meal :)

So to confirm, you are saying "With every meal, pick two fatty items from the list but don't count cooking fat/oil as one of the items"?

Also, I seem to recall that the right kind of nut was OK with every meal.... cashews and macadamias, since they have the same type of fat as avocado. (Or was it cashews and macadamias are OK as snacks?)  All other nuts should be eaten sparingly.

Merging threads is weird since every other forum known to man tries to keep threads on topic but OK whatever, not a big deal :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, QuilterInVA said:

It's recommended to have nuts every other day not with every meal.

It is recommended that IF you are going to eat nuts, they are limited (limited being a closed handful every other day at most).  There are no recommendations that state to eat them every other day. 

Archived