Starting 11/24 - Anyone in?

ElizabethG

Hi, I am still here!  Day 6 I had my first real workout since starting Whole30. It was hard and I had low energy. I also had a little cold, so that probably was part of it.  

Food has been going well and I generally feel pretty good. Yesterday however I made a chicken curry recipe that I had made before and something made me very bloated.  I laid down and could hear myself percolate!  I don’t know what it was, maybe broccoli?  This was the first time I ate broccoli since starting. I was planning to eat it for lunch today too, but now I am scared!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not uncommon to discover that a 'healthy' food item causes you distress.  I went thru that a couple of times on my 30.  Foods that are related to things I'm allergic to.  

To test the theory, abstain from that suspect item for several days then reintroduce it, basically a mid-30 re-intro.

Hi Sarah,

I actually discovered that veggies like broccoli, brussels sprouts and cabbage, and coconut milk can give me issues if I eat them too much. I would suggest trying broccoli in something different in about a week to test out your theory. I also think our body goes through phases. For example, I had never had issues with avocado before, until about 4 months ago, I had to completely cut it out because the bloating was so uncomfortable. However, I bet after a while I'll be able to eat it again in moderation. 

Is anyone planning on trying a new recipe over the weekend? 

3 hours ago, ElizabethG said:

Is anyone planning on trying a new recipe over the weekend? 

Not a new recipe, but I'm planning on making a pot roast which the way I make it is already 100% compliant so I already have a delicious recipe from pre whole30 that I can still enjoy!

Day 9: Tried Bone broth for the first time. I read in one of the athletic posts on this forum that some people use it for a pre-workout or long run meal. It was pretty decent, I tried the Epic Sippable Broth in the turkey cranberry flavor. Although it wasn't one of my longer runs, I felt it gave me a nice stomach palatable fuel, plus it was nice to sip something warm on a cold morning. 

I feel like sticking to the "rules" so far has been pretty easy and I love the grocery shopping and cooking new things. I sure have learning a lot by reading labels too! 

Although lately I have seen or at least been drawn to posts on instagram or Facebook of gooey chocolate chip cookies! A weakness for sure! 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! 

Urg! Still experiencing some stomach issues. I really thought they would be gone by now. Plus I know being stressed about it just makes everything worse, so I'm trying hard to stay relaxed about the situation, and just know things will get better eventually. A lot of bloating still. However, I still went to my normal Saturday gym class, and just did what I could based on the uncomfort. 

Staring down a very busy week ahead, but planning on making something in the crockpot tomorrow to get us through the first few days. I made my order order on Thrive market the other week, and I have a thai curry sauce I've been meaning to try. I think I'll just throw in some ground turkey, onion, carrot, diced tomato, and the curry sauce. 

I tried the red curry roasted cauliflower from the Whole30 Cookbook. Simple and delicious!

In two weeks I will be out of town for work. Hotel room looks like it has a mini fridge, but not a microwave. Trying to determine my options for cold items plus eating out. :/

Hi Denise, I actually find eating out and traveling not so tricky, but it does take some prep. I was at a conference just a few weeks ago, and while not on Whole30 at the time, still wanting to stick to my normal healthy-ish diet. I found a Whole Foods close by, and purchased snacks, and breakfast to keep in my room, and in my bag knowing there wouldn't be many options for me. I even went back one night after there wasn't anything I wanted at the dinner. 

If you know which restaurants you are going to ahead of time, take a look at the menu, and even make calls in advance with questions. I have found that almost every restaurant has at least one thing you can order. The key is actually looking at the more expensive entree section, which often has steak, salmon, etc. that they can easily made preparation adjustment to. Feel free to send along menu links before you go, and we will try to help you out.

Hello!

This process has definitely been a struggle for me, but I think I've managed to stay compliant.   Sometimes the ingredients list throws me off, but I've been Googling Whole30 <ingredient>, and found most of them.  I also can't believe the stuff I find in what seems like it should be pretty straight forward, like tuna. 

I'm excited to be over 1/3 way through.   I've been having stomach issues as well, but they seem to be slowly minimizing.   I also still have cravings, but they aren't as bad as they were.   Day 6 was the closest I've come to throwing in the towel, but I called my stand by support people.   I've definitely discovered willpower I didn't know I had. 

Happy Monday everyone!

49 minutes ago, AmyLynnK said:

Day 6 was the closest I've come to throwing in the towel, but I called my stand by support people.   I've definitely discovered willpower I didn't know I had. 

Way to go! It's so important to know when you are reaching the line, and have your non-food coping skills ready to go. 

I totally agree with you on the canned tuna thing too! If you are a Costco member, the kirkland brand, at least in my area, is just tuna and water. 

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I had a terrible stomach bug yesterday, all I could tolerate was potato, so I'm excited to get back to normal today. I've definitely been feeling a little grumpy though, which I know is a normal part of the process. I think the big kicker for me is having a husband at home eating chocolate cake! he is very supportive of this process, but man would it be nice to do this together. Most of what he eats doesn't both me at all. I really can do without the rice and beans, but simply just knowing that he can eat dessert every day without gaining weight drives me nuts.

Day 15, the halfway point. I feel good. Some temptations, but able to stay strong! 

Next week is the week of hotel living. Going to find a Whole Foods and bring some precooked chicken. I've been out for lunch at work and usually try to pick the location so I know there is something I can eat. Sushi has been a good option. I usually go for the sashimi salad to avoid the rice and dressings. There is a poke place where the guacamole is fresh with all compliant items. I try to keep it simple. 

I do have the urge to step on the scale. I don't normally care about numbers, more how clothes fit, but I am curious to see what cutting out sugar and grains has done. I can see the difference and feel less "puffy."

hope everyone is doing well!

Hi Denise, sounds like you are going a great job planning ahead for your work trip! 

Don't step on the scale! I know it's a huge temptation, but honestly I think it's the best part about Whole30. I had a terrible relationship with my scale for years, weighing myself multiple times a day sometime. During my first Whole30 in March 2016 I actually threw it away and have never looked back. At this point, I really only weigh myself about once a month at the gym, and sometime not even that much. It's really helped me focus on how food actually makes me feel inside, rather than how it affects a number, which has nothing to do with health. I would even recommend not stepping on the scale on Day 31, because this experience is about so much more than weight.

How's everyone else doing at the 1/2 point? 

Elizabeth

Hi, I have not posted in a bit but I am still plugging along!  They’re right, planning ahead is the key to sticking with it.  I have been feeling really good and sleeping better too. I finally gave up on coffee and that made a big  difference in helping me sleep through the night. I am so glad I am doing 30 days though because this is my danger zone.  When I loose a little weight I think I can handle a cookie, chocolate, whatever. Then it is over. 

Good luck next week Denise!

Hi Sarah, glad to know you are plugging along and finding success! 30 days really is key, not only for a physical reset, but more importantly a mental one. It take a while to create new habits and ways of thinking. In fact, I've done more than one Whole30 over the last few years because you can't learn everything all at once. Even if you translate 1-2 new habits into your daily routine, I consider this experiment a success. It has taken me years (not in a bad way) to slowly unravel my unhealthy relationship to food, and emotional eating. I'm still not all the way there, but I can see huge improvements when I look back. Keep it up!

Day 19! Two days in to my work trip. Sprouts, In-n-Out, and Chipotle have saved me so far with compliant eating out. I brought breakfast and lunch items which is working out great so far. 

The training class is stocked with muffins and snack size candy, but they do have a pretty good fresh fruit bowl too. Although we are at a Double Tree and they brought in freshly baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday afternoon. Soooo bummed I couldn't have one, but I survived. I did binge on some pistachios though! Nuts and nut butters seem to be my weakness at this point. 

Hope everyone else is doing great! I still have good energy and am sleeping fantastic! 

Hi Denise,

Glad to hear the work trip is going well! 

6 hours ago, DeniseS said:

Nuts and nut butters seem to be my weakness at this point. 

This was a huge problem for me at first too. I know nuts and nut butters are technically compliant, but consider cutting them out for the remaining days. Part of Whole30 is examining our relationship to food, even healthy food. Even if I'm binging on an entire bag of carrots, the issue is more why am I eating them all? Stress? Anxiety? Bored? In my opinion, it's examining these relationships and triggers that truly make Whole30 a great program. Just think about it. If it makes you feel better, I can now leave a jar of nut butter in my kitchen for months, only using it intentionally, I could not do that a few years ago.

The nuts provide satisfaction to the salty craving. I didn't eat enough on that day, I realize now, which caused me to binge a bit at dinner time. Nut butters, olives, and avocados are how I am providing the fats being away from an actual kitchen. I also didn't bring anything to really spice up my chicken or meals, so it could be a flavor thing as well. Not stressed, not bored, more ravenously hungry! Today and yesterday I ate more at each meal during the day, so come dinner time I wasn't over the top hungry. 

Today, I will be venturing out to Whole Foods to stock up on some items to get me through the week. Not having a kitchen is certainly a downfall and the restaurants locally aren't fantastic, although Chipotle and In-n-Out have provided some simple options. Everywhere else cooks in something that is not compliant or has items that need most of the dish removed to make it compliant, so kind of a hassle.

Just a quick check in, how is everyone doing? I'm starting to feel improvements in my energy level, specifically not feeling so groggy each morning! I can also tell I really don't need my afternoon coffee anymore to keep me going, but I have continued with it anyways, more as an excuse to get me to step away from my desk and computer for a few minutes, which I think is equally important.

I'm also giving myself a huge pat on the back for successfully making it through a holiday party last night without touching a single thing! Luckily, I had my husband at home as an excuse when asked why I didn't have a plate: I'de love to, but I promised my husband we could eat dinner together tonight since it's been such a busy few days. No one second guessed that one.

That really is a great excuse not to eat at a party!

Only 8 days left! I have already decided I will most likely be eating very similar once the 30 days are up. I'm very accustom to the unsweetened almond milk/coconut cream creamer in my coffee. Prior I "needed" some flavoring or a small amount of sugar, but now I enjoy the coffee flavor. 

I will most likely keep out most grains as well. Even when I eat quite a healthy portion, I don't feel bloated or overly full. 

I also love the sugar-free, sulfate-free bacon!

Have a great weekend!

Hi Denise,

Have you read Food Freedom Forever yet? I finally picked up a copy at the library and am half way through. Even though a lot of information about what's next is available here on the site, it's still be helpful for me to read it all in one place, and put some perspective around what to expect. While I've done 2 Whole30s before, each one is different, plus bodies change all the time, so what's "worth it" this year may not be the same as last year. 

Are you planning on doing a structured reintroduction? Or more of the slow roll approach?

I will be doing more of the slow roll approach. I know for certain that tamales will be on the Christmas Eve menu, which contain a corn masa. The remainder of the dinner I will keep pretty "clean" and not add rice and beans. 

I don't have a "sugar dragon" and nothing is really screaming at me craving wise from the sugar side. 

I thought I might miss cheese a little more...but not really craving any dairy. I might test out some dairy after a few days, greek yogurt most likely.  

I think I will just see how it goes with what pops up and if it is really worth it food wise!

What type of reintro did you do before?

Both times I've taken the slow roll approach, for a number of reasons:

- I already choose to stay away from certain foods because of my thyroid (rice, pasta, bread, corn), so there isn't as much to re-introduce

- I also found that I just wasn't missing certain items that I thought I would, like soy products and beans

The one downside to this approach though, is that it's harder to make sure that an ingredient is "pure" when you do re-introduce it. Let's say a week from now you decide to eat some peanut butter crackers for snack, and later that evening you notice a skin rash. How will you know what bothered you? Was it the PB? Or the gluten in the crackers? Did your PB have added sugar in it? As you can tell, it can be tough to figure out, but if you are prepared, it's doable.

Day 27!  I am still going strong. We are on a little snow vacation so I have not been checking in. I will read the reintroduction part when we get home today, but I don’t know what I will reintroduce. I am afraid alcohol will effect my sleep. Christmas dinner at my mother-in-law’s is going to be lasagna, which has two non compliant foods. I am not missing much and feel good. Mostly I am looking forward to not having to be so strict at restaurants, since I am currently on vacation, and stepping on the scale, measuring myself and taking pictures!

Day 29! 

This has been a great experience. I've found new food that I love (acorn squash, sugar free bacon, bone broth) and realized food I thought I would crave wasn't missed a whole lot at all (cheese, flavored creamers, sugar in anything). I plan on slowly introducing some things back in, starting Christmas Eve with grains (corn tamales) and I may have a glass of wine. 

I am looking forward to not being so strict on the label reading as well, though I found a few sugar free, soy free, wheat free items like salad dressing and compliant mayo that I actually like better than the real thing. I like using ghee and coconut oil to cook with. 

I did experience great energy throughout, though not the Tiger's Blood surge of energy mentioned in the book. I attribute that to the fact I ate pretty good, though not as strict. I did sleep much better and didn't experience the mid-afternoon or after lunch slump like normal. 

I found it was just too difficult to explain what sort of eating plan I was doing, as most people I knew had no idea what Whole30 was. A few people had heard of it and sent me recipes or shared their experiences. 

I see on the Instagram and Facebook page that January is the big plunge most people take for their Whole30. I am glad I chose the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as it really kept me from mindlessly eating the goodies at work.

I hope everyone had a great experience and I look forward to hearing about your non-scale victories!

Happy Holidays and enjoy Day 31!

Archived