My Whole100 21.Dec.12 to 31.Mar.13

melbournegirl

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main info is in the ISWF book which I don't have. I have seen some posts saying it excludes all nuts, eggs, coconut and the nightshade veges (tomato, eggplant, peppers), also coffee can't remember about tea..... I am meaning to re search again, will yell if I find it.

I haven't knocked out eggs or tomato yet, and still using coconut oil too, and a bit of ghee, not sure if that's out also... Will see what happens after a week... I think coffee might have been having a bigger impact than I thought on my stomach... Or nuts... Or too much fatty meat... Or...... It's so hard to figure. Anyway I will write down any symptoms but so far much better!

I just looked up the autoimmune protocol in ISWF. It says "you may want to consider removing these additional items form your daily diet."

The list includes:

• Eggs (whole eggs and egg whites) - recommended to avoid for at least 90 days to evaluate sensitivity.
  • Nightshades (includes white potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, and spices like cayenne, chili powder, curry powder, paprika, pepper sauce, pimento, and crushed red pepper flakes) - recommended to avoid for at least 90 days to evaluate sensitivity.
  • Dairy (including heavy cream, clarified butter, ghee) - should avoid all dairy during Whole30 and potentially indefinitely.
  • Nuts and Seeds
  • NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, Celebrex)

Hope that's helpful.

Day3

8 hours sleep, tummy seems to be behaving still!

Pre WO boiled egg (body combat)

M1 wilted greens in a tsp of coconut oil, beef burger, baked pumpkin with pineapple and pepitas, 2 slices of sweet potato, tea

Planned....

M2 ground beef and vegies and ghee (from the freezer), sweet potato... about an hour later felt distended and got moderate wind pains

M3 carrot, pumpkin dip, lamb, cauliflower rice, beans, sweet potato, canteloupe and watermelon, followed by severe bloating, wind and pain - reaction to eating again after lunchtime problems or new problems... time will tell.?. But note to self... Don't eat fodmap cauliflower with fodmap watermelon in the same meal after having problems the meal before!

On the plus side, three days without caffeine and aches are nearly gone!

Thank you nsquared, very helpful, and very kind of you to look this up for us!

I have been having seeds and forgot about the spices too, thanks also for clarifying re the butter (sorry about the small pun :) )...

Amazingly my digestion has already returned to a manageable level just by excluding nuts, cocoa, coffee and coconut (except for oil)..... And going back to lower fat content meats. So maybe it was the fodmap load of these after all, and perhaps more fat than I could digest.

After a few days I will add some of these back in and see what happens.

It's my pleasure. I've had it in the back of my mind as something I may pursue at some point. Reading your post prompted me to check.

As for the pun, pun away!

Thank you nsquared, very helpful, and very kind of you to look this up for us!

I have been having seeds and forgot about the spices too, thanks also for clarifying re the butter (sorry about the small pun :) )...

Hey today I had a freezer meal for lunch and it affected my stomach (think wind pains....)... Pretty sure I cooked it in ghee... So maybe I do have a problem with this. Last time I had ghee.. With a turkey burger, same problem but a day later I had another turkey burger without the ghee and didn't think anything of it may well have been the ghee! Progress! Unfortunately I have just cooked a big pot of soup and added 3 tablespoons of ghee to it.... oh well maybe that will help me decide :(

I dont like the idea of paying for butter and throwing most of it away????? Maybe its dose dependent or dependent on what else I ate before.... did I mention I want a new stomach for Christmas??? LOL

The ghee in the soup this morning hasnt caused a noticeable effect yet.... I think I will finish up the ghee I have then just stick to olive and coconut oil if they go okay, that said I was enjoying using the ghee because milk fat is supposed to be especially good as a base for making anti-inflammatories..

Day 4... woken up tired.... what is it about day 4????

8 hours of broken sleep

M1 beef burger, vege soup, baked sweet potato with ghee

Managed a 6km run, nearly gave up at the 3km mark then came good

M2 2 sardines!, salad with olives, half an orange and seeds... not a big lunch but seemed enough today

Then cooked up a storm - homemade sausage rolls and jam rollies for the kids (school lunches), meatloaf for me, also baked some chicken fillets. Next is brocolli chips and baked? bok choy! Got some compliant pork on special $3.45 for 100g so going to fry up as 'bacon' tomorrow as a change.

On my feet for 6 hours, feeling the tiger blood, only stopped for a cup of tea once and now as I figured I should probably sit down. Despite having a run and a small lunch and being around food all afternoon, I am not desperate for food again (finally), am certainly hungry but cant really be bothered having a meal now so happy to wait until dinner in a few hours - yay.... is that some tiger blood happening???? Cutting out nuts and coffee seems to be having a dramatic effect!

M3 turmeric flavored meatloaf, sweet potato, brocolli, bok choy, carrot, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, celery

30 minutes of weights

Post WO small piece of baked chicken and sweet potato

Day5... Still no coffee or coconut! Nearly reached for the nuts yesterday but had meatloaf instead!

Low fodmap and food load yesterday... Seems to help lots!

Poor sleep again last night though... Due to late workout and food? Also could be stress, lots happening at work atm.

Pre WO small piece of chicken (Pilates)

M1 baked chicken, vege soup, half sweet potato with a spoon of ghee, green tea

Post WO (Body Attack hard but fun) tin of tuna in olive oil and an unripe nectarine (from the supermarket, I really needed it)

M2 porchetta compliant but oh oh with 'spices' which smelt like garlic when I opened the packet... hope I survive... diced and cooked with 3 baby bok choy, half a sweet potato and a lick of ghee, tea.

M3 disaster dinner out! Asked for soda water with fresh lemon, got soda with lime cordial.... So gave it to my son. Asked for the salad with no feta... And also said no onion or garlic... Salad came with onion.... Plus the dressing which I asked to be only olive oil, lemon and balsamic looked slightly creamy... So not sure if that was from the lemon or something else they added... So gave most of that away too. Then the steak with no sauce was very salty... I think it was premarinated... Hopefully only in brine....

Except by 9 pm I started to get stomach pains probably the onion.. And woke up in the morning with an upset tummy! Sigh!

Day 6

9 hours sleep

Lazy today except for 3 hours supervising athletics and supervising my daughter when she made vanilla slices... and I didnt even lick my fingers!

M1 meatloaf, soup, tomato, mandarin

M2 boiled egg, celery with pumpkin dip, salad with olives, baked chicken, blueberries with coconut milk, some sweet potato...hungry today

M3 salmon, nectarine, pumpkin, sweet potato, beans, carrots, tomato, cashews, coconut cream and cocoa.... broke 3 of my four c rules (cocoa, cashews, coconut cream) and going to have coffee tomorrow but I reckon one day in a week might be the go... now to make sure tomorrow goes well!

Cooked up some burgers, baked a pumpkin with fruit and prepped some vegies to make a chicken or vege casserole so a fairly productive day

Day7 - Sunday... Coffee day.

Slept okay but only for about 7 hours.

I didn't like feeling uncomfortable last night (windy and rib pain) so happy to forego nuts and coconut again for another week

Pre WO (30 minute jog) half a beef burger.

M1 meatloaf, carrot, soup, nectarine and watermelon, black coffee!

Post WO boiled egg (piloxing class)

M2 baked pumpkin with fruit, beef burger.... watermelon

M3 pork carnitas, sweet potato, beans, carrots, ghee, egg, nectarine

Disaster struck today, although it could have been worse.

Here I am on about day forty something and sat down to eat a supermarket 100% beef burger for lunch.... munching through it thinking... these are saltier than the last time I had them.... and taste a bit onion/garlicy... nah, just being silly, must be my mouth.. but then I started burping and my skin started itching... so to the trash to find the package...... onion, garlic, rice flour, canola oil, dextrose and sugar (0.5%)..... So I looked at the empty pack and I looked at the pack still in my freezer... identical packaging and both say 100% aussie beef except in small print one says 'aussie burger' and the other says 'homestyle burger' and you guessed it the homestype burger has the crap in and is only 88% beef (next ingredient is water though). The other is 100% aussie beef as the only ingredient which is why I bought them.

I'm not really really upset about the sugar and rice flour as it cant be very much and I didnt eat a whole lot, but still it means I had non compliant food so thats annoying. I am upset about the onion and garlic though as that can make me really sick sometimes.... and two hours later my skin is still itching.... I think that might be the canola oil. Oh well, I still have at least another 50 days to go :( hope the itching doesnt last that long of course!

Day 8

7 hours sleep approx, Pilates

M1 breakfast hash with eggs, blueberries, sweet potato and zucchini, tastes like pudding! Yum... I think my taste buds have changed a bit lol

M2 chicken and veg stew, tomato and cucumber salad

M3 boiled egg and small piece of sweet potato

M4 salad with olives, ghee, carnita soup with bok choy, pineapple, some cashews and cocoa (hmmm two c's... blaming PMT). skin has flared up a bit - the salmon from saturday? or the coffee from sunday....

My Safeway often has them... 4 in a heat sealed tray 500g for $5.58. They have changed the packaging recently but I have been buying them on and off for a few years. Not surprisingly they taste fairly meaty (unless you buy the garlic ones by mistake) and i usually buy mince instead but thought they would be good as emergency fridge reserves

Day9.... Not good

Stayed up late last night to finish a book and stuff myself with walnuts and dried fruit... Some stress at work and had a few cashews after dinner, that started it..... I was hungry after dinner so also added a boiled egg.... And after some more nuts I thought eat something proper so had a small serve of tomorrows breakfast hash, but then had two cups of cocoa and some coconut flour mixed with water... And some more nuts... Silly! And of course only got 5 hours sleep. I hope by the end of my 100 I have killed this behaviour...

Anyway went for my 6km run as planned and had the rest of my breakfast at 9am? Also had a cup of coffee with coconut cream to cheer me up! I would like to blame TTOTM but I think it's more likely being silly re the work disappointment, I wish I could grow up / cope better. Oh well back right on the horse!

Yoga

M2 red sweet potato, salad, soup, steak, 2 peaches

M3 chicken and beef vege 'pies', salad, blueberries, coconut milk, sweet potato... Cashews damn! Must try a little harder tomorrow

Day 10

8 hours sleep

Body combat

M1 orange, carnitas and vege soup, pumpkin and zucchini almond stack

M2 chicken veg stew, cucumber, tomato

M3 boiled egg, carrot

M4 roast chicken, pumpkin,mcarrot, potato

M5 cashews, mango, peach, watermelon

Went to a cocktail party and didn't eat the finger food and only had soda water yay... Then came home and ate fruit and nuts LOL

I have decided nuts are food without brakes for me ATM, and also coconut cream definitely upsets my stomach.... So after I use up the last of each ( today) I am not going to buy more. I am not going to completely exclude, but if they are not in the house I won't eat them when I don't need them! Also I think I will no longer exclude white potatoes. They are excluded for two reasons according to the mods... Trigger for some (think chips I guess) and can cause issues for some.. Mainly the skins due to their nightshade derivation. They don't get a separate mention in the reintro plan I believe. I am not going to go out of my way to have them but won't stress if there are only white ones left in the house and everyone else is having them that I need to skip or find an alternative

So just counting up and I think I am on day 49 today, nearly half way.

M1 pork carnitas soup, almonds, blueberries with coconut milk .... All gone now

Talked all the way through my circuit class today which had the dubious benefit of raising my heart rate but I don't really feel like I worked out....

M2 mince on salad, yum

M3 fruit, nuts, coconut....

Hmm I think I have been forgetting carbs and fat which has made me want to snack... Having coffee today probably also contributed! Will make sure I do better tomorrow!

Cooked my favorite breakfast (hash) and got my lunch ready too so all good to go

M4 roast chicken and salad leftovers, coconut

Back soon, taking a break from online posting for a few days

Done some thinking.. Time to stop over complicating my food choices and just start being sensible again.

So everything... Except coffee... Is back in. Going to eat less at meals until I can once again recognize true hungry and full signals, adding extra meals until that happens if I need to.

Cutting coffee will help my sleep and improve my exercise strike rate again. Cutting volume will help me figure out if it is the volume or the protein and fat level that's causing the most problems for me.

Good to go!

Archived