My Whole100 21.Dec.12 to 31.Mar.13

melbournegirl

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going for 5 straight days of 3-4 meals no snacking! That should reset me back to the template nicely

Day1

Pre WO small piece of baked chicken and a spoon of ghee

Body combat and 30 minute run

M1 Large hand serve of baked chicken, big bowl of vege soup, 2 spoons of ghee with salt and a tablespoon of mixed seeds. And a cup of black tea. Feeling nicely full now.

M2 cauliflower, egg, ground beef, spinach and mushroom bake on a salad with avocado and olives

M3 fruit salad coconut cocktail, steak, sweet potato, cauliflower rice, salad, ghee, cocoa

Successful day, big meals but no eating outside of meals

Day2

8 hours sleep

6km slow run

M1 vege soup, peach, roast pork, cocoa, blueberries and coconut milk

Circuit class

Post WO roast pork and pumpkin

Too full for lunch so just had a tin of tuna at 2 pm

M3 carrot, potato, salad, melon, ghee, flake in coconut flour... Interesting... 8 cashews, cocoa, baked brocolli

Scalp has flared up, can't be coffee so must be the cocoa or the exercise, the fish will probably make it worse too. Just waiting to establish this better eating pattern then I will cut back on the cocoa.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is my 12th day without coffee and only very limited nuts. Feeling much better. Joint aches non existent, stomach generally much better and I have lost a lot of cellulite from my thighs. Most of my clothes fit again although some are still quite tight. It's usually around this mark that I start to get more energy and zing so as much as I would like to have coffee right now it would be good to wait till the end of next week if I can.

Enjoying feeling comfortably full on reasonable sized meals and no longer being as interested in between meal eating. I am having Pre and post WO snacks and a fourth or occasionally 5 th meal if I feel I need it but very much a go with the flow thing which is how it should be!

Wow, just counted, DAY 70 today! Hoping for good things these next 30, mainly regarding better sleep, some weight loss and a bit more energy.

Ok, things went downhill after this for a few days which I can now attribute to PMT, must watch for that.... its a relatively unknown phenomena after being on BC for more than 20 years! Still compliant, just not happy with my eating habits and stomach issues.

Looked through my past posts to see if I could identify any patterns and it's a bit depressing really. I have been very honest in my posts as I am looking to make real long term improvements and it just looks like a mess of fodmap issues, coffee issues and ongoing overeating/snacking problems and tummy and skin flare-ups! So sad. In fact I am wondering if I can even consider this journey as a successful attempt!

Deep breath!

However I am only doing it for myself, there are no external prizes and trying to figure out any of this while not whole30 compliant would be even more impossible so I will soldier on and see what the end of the month brings. I guess my primary goal was to slay my sugar/junk dragon and that has happened and secondary goal to identify triggers and that has also happened. Just wish I could learn how to better manage the triggers and feel healthier. And a bit lighter!

Well, there is still a month to go!

Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

The last week or so has been a pretty good week compliance wise. Good sleep, proper meals, no caffeine. Just getting back into exercise again after having a week off.

Only two more weeks to go.

Realising that not much will change after my whole100. I will not be eating noncompliant foods on a regular basis. I will still have problems with some compliant foods and ups and downs, I am thinking that I might find it a little easier afterwards when the psychological pressure to conform has been removed and that I won't stress so much about having to have plenty of food on hand just in case I don't get the shopping done in time or have enough time for cooking etc

Light bulb moment here...thinking about the 2.8kg can of jellybeans I have waiting for me in the cupboard since Xmas and thought to myself, would I actually be upset if I decided not to eat any... And you know what? I don't think so!

THIS is huge! Have I broken my sugar addiction finally? Or more likely have I accepted my sugar addiction? Like a few others I am enjoying the freedom from this demon and I am not sure I want to ever give any power back to it again.

Must sleep on this novel concept!!!

Light bulb moment here...thinking about the 2.8kg can of jellybeans I have waiting for me in the cupboard since Xmas and thought to myself, would I actually be upset if I decided not to eat any... And you know what? I don't think so!

THIS is huge! Have I broken my sugar addiction finally? Or more likely have I accepted my sugar addiction? Like a few others I am enjoying the freedom from this demon and I am not sure I want to ever give any power back to it again.

Must sleep on this novel concept!!!

Congratulations on that big, big moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Well only a few more days to go now, hard to believe I have been doing this since before Christmas..... Feeling quite relaxed about food now, in a pretty good place and not anxious at all about finishing... Looking forward to a glass of wine but not really interested in lollies or chocolate despite it being Easter.... enjoying the benefits of being coffee, coconut and nut free so wanting to keep that up as much as possible. Been away for work and came home needing to prepare some meals for breakfast and lunch. Part of me said huh it would be so much easier to just have porridge tomorrow. But I threw together a mince, potato and zucchini dish cooked in coconut oil instead and the taste was so yummy I realised I really do want to eat this sort of food for breakfast instead of porridge after all.

Well only a few more days to go now, hard to believe I have been doing this since before Christmas..... Feeling quite relaxed about food now, in a pretty good place and not anxious at all about finishing... Looking forward to a glass of wine but not really interested in lollies or chocolate despite it being Easter.... enjoying the benefits of being coffee, coconut and nut free so wanting to keep that up as much as possible. Been away for work and came home needing to prepare some meals for breakfast and lunch. Part of me said huh it would be so much easier to just have porridge tomorrow. But I threw together a mince, potato and zucchini dish cooked in coconut oil instead and the taste was so yummy I realised I really do want to eat this sort of food for breakfast instead of porridge after all.

You are doing great! I hope I can extend my W30 to W100. I guess I should simply commit to it and stop reasoning... Have a great day!

It's not for everyone but it helped me have a binge free Christmas and it gave me the baseline to figure out that nuts, coffee and coconut destabilise my appetite as well as cause stomach problems. It helped me learn what permanent changes I can and want to make and how not enough sleep causes hunger issues. It helped me find a way to live without restricting food and a way to reduce binge triggers.

It didn't provide a magic solution for my skin and stomach problems though and it didn't help me lose weight but I am okay with that. I am not going to weigh myself as I am okay with whatever weight I am. I look and feel alright inside my body and in my gym clothes and i will buy some slightly more roomy clothes to accommodate my different shape (more lower body muscle as well as padding but good arm tone and waist)

Thanks for your summary, Juzbo. It sounds like you are at peace with your body and mindset now and that is good to hear.

I wish I new more about skin issues but for me, most of the time they are stress-related. In that case you can eat as healthy as you want and still have them ;) Good luck with finding your trigger though and all the best.

Thanks kittycat.

Yeah, in a good place. I dont feel fat without clothes so I just have to make sure I dont wear any clothes that make me feel fat because they are too small or the wrong cut for me! Stress, exercise, fruit, coffee and fish make my skin worse. I am beginning to think there is no one trigger. But the increase in fat has helped. My rashes were so much worse than they are now even when taking anti inflammatories for months. I dont get sunscreen rashes now either, mainly because I rarely need to use sunscreen anymore :).There is a cyclical hormonal element to my skin that I am just getting to know about now that my body has learnt to work without BC finally.

Last night I was reading some paleo posts about how paleo eating can lead to continual small improvements for up to 9 months or even more so I havent yet given up on the skin and weight improvements. The food I will add back in next week - fresh corn, wine, potato and sugar if less than 1g/100g in olives, bacon, condiments etc or sugar occasionally in really dark chocolate are unlikely to cause an increase in inflammation I am hoping....

Thanks for your support, it means a lot!

So my whole100 is done, not perfectly but thats an unrealistic expectation for 100 days in my mind.

After 60 days I relaxed the white potato rule although I didnt go out of my way to have them. After 90 days I had some non-compliant bacon with less than 1% sugar twice, some fresh corn twice and I had alcohol twice, once unintentionally in a cooking sauce.Thats good enough for me.

I achieved my primary goal of breaking my sugar addiction... now to keep it broken.

Did okay with sleep, learnt lots about my triggers and how to better manage them and have achieved a feeling of peace.

Now to see what the next stage of my life has in store :)

Thanks for popping in glimmer. I will be opening the jellybeans for the kids soon, but not for me. I either no longer want them or I dont want to hostage myself to sugar again, or not so soon anyway. Lots of easter eggs going today including a dark chocolate cherry ripe one and a lindt bunny but reading that it is 50% sugar I decided to have frozen blueberries instead and a cup of hot water cocoa :)

I enjoyed a small glass of red wine tonight with dinner but within a short while my eyes were sore and scratchy... sulphites? Better after an hour or so though.

Archived