I finished my Whole30 on Dec. 21. Sadly, about 27 of the 30 days was with extreme intestinal distress. I went thru 4 rolls of toilet paper on a 5 day trip to visit friends and family. Needless to say...not so much fun. My coach had promised it would even out as my intestines 'healed,' but they never did. Plus, I never ate 'that badly' or have a disease that would take make it take longer as suggested in the ISWF. It seemed to be the oils/fats that set me off, but towards the end it was any food, and i could barely take it.

While i think i felt 'clean,' i never experienced more energy--mostly b/c i doubt my body was absorbing all the good nutrients. At my coach's suggestion, i went to see a Naturopath, and after a 2 hour consultation, with a lengthy potential treatment plan and a few different stool tests (ugh) to be sent to me, i started with a 50billion strain probiotic. <insert signs of angels singing, seas parting here>. The relief was almost instant. I saw a thread that had recommended a probiotic, and i'm sad that i had not used this forum for support as suggested, and i'm sad that i suffered for so long. The 'diet' itself was not hard, and i enjoyed the food and was never hungry!

That being said, now that my stomach issues have subsided--for the most part, i am reluctant to reintroduce foods as scheduled, but am resisting continuing the whole 30 through the rest of the holidays. I can't help but wonder if i would feel 'the magic' if i were to continue.

I have had some wine, with no ill effects, and i tried a homemade pierogi that had cottage curd and was fried in canola oil. THAT had an effect--or it was the large amount of sauer kraut consumed with it. hard to tell...

Any thoughts? (needless to say, i don't think i will subject myself to yucky expensive poo tests, since a simple remedy and homeopathic dose of podophyllum made all the difference in the world).

nicki

Obviously getting the probiotic for you was HUGE (I'm sorry it took you 27 days to get it!), so I think your take away from this is that you have a pretty significant issue with your gut bacteria. Personally, I would want to resolve that as quickly as possible. That sounds like another 30 days, or maybe 60, with the support from the probiotic.

Personally, I don't think you're physically ready for reintroduction yet...but technically you've put in all that we ask you to give, so it's totally your call. I think you have a bunch of benefits left to reap here after the first of the year (no more holidays), but if you're emotionally exhausted, I get it ;)

Thank you so much. I agree. I've been sticking to it mostly--in that i tried almond milk in my coffee w/a little stevia. i'm happy to report...it didn't do a whole lot for me, so i think that i will either drink it black, or go back to the Good Earth tea that's been so yummy and delicious. i can see doing a strict w30 come mid Jan after the holidays and business travel.

Thanks for your comments.

I also have GI troubles still (I am guessing fat and fodmaps but thanks for posting about the benefit of probiotics for you, that might help me too if restricting fodmaps doesnt work). I am continuing with a whole100 as my skin improved but my sleep got a bit worse and I dont have my full energy yet... losing another 5 pounds would also be good if it happens....

I agree with Renee in that if you needed the probiotic you havent got a healed GI and noncompliant foods might just be masking your problems so I would be surprised if you didnt benefit by continuing when you can

Just finished my Whole30 and still experiencing sporadic GI issues; trying to pinpoint the culprit isn't easy. I'm going to stick with the plan, continue tracking what I eat, but adding notes to my journal about how I am reacting. it's a healthy way of eating and overall I feel better, but I still feel like I have a ways to go.

I'm on day 3 of my first whole 30. I ALWAYS have GI problems whether it be gas, bloating, diaherra or constipation. It sucks. So I'm hoping the Whole 30 will help. Days 1 and 2 were great but today I am having problems again. It is so uncomfortable. Would you recommend that I try a probiotic? Any recommendations?

Archived