100 Days of Awesome "Whole 100" Group Log

Koneill12

I am psyched to do not just another Whole 30, but a Whole 100!!! I'm a Paleo eater in a non-Paleo household with my husband and 2 boys. This support group will a great for me since I've had a difficult time finding others that are in my area.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I'm going to have to spend some time catching up on reading this thing!!

Hi, I'm Casey. I've posted on here since the beginning of this forum, but under my facebook account which I deactivated last month. So, it looks like I'm a newbie with my new account here. ;)

I'm a stay-at-home mom of a 2 1/2 year old, and 17 weeks pregnant with my second.

This will be my 4th Whole(fill in the blank). The first two Whole30's, I didn't follow the rules 100% so I got less than 100% results. The third attempt, in August, I did a Whole50 and finally discovered just how much it matters to follow the rules.

After the 50 days, I ate mostly clean paleo with little bits of sugar or beans here or there. Not candy sugar, just things like honey in recipes. Then I got pregnant and by early October I was suffering horrible 24/7 morning sickness. It blindsided me. I stayed paleo most of October, but then I started eating corn tortillas, which offered me relief. By Halloween, my diet was falling apart and I was even eating wheat sometimes, which I react horribly to. I knocked off the wheat really fast, but the sugar and corn stuff stayed through November. I'm down to just battling sugar cravings when I start this Whole100, but I'm confident I can get past it like I have before.

Eating clean is extremely important to me during this pregnancy. I suffered depression during and after my first, and it was devastating. I notice foods (particularly sugar and seed oils) dramatically impact my mood and stress levels, so I'm hoping that by eating this way I might be able to reduce or even avoid that depression this time around. I have a feeling that after the 100 days, I won't be stopping for this reason. Particularly because I know that I'm extremely sensitive to many foods - I have a diagnosed dairy allergy and a reaction to wheat that almost mimicks what happens when I consume milk (which is pretty serious). The only thing I don't know about is soy, but soy hasn't been a big deal to me in years. I could live without it. I may just be one of those people who has to eat this way for life. Well, this way plus maybe the occasional use of white potatoes. Maybe I'll add that back in after 100 days...

Anyway, I'm so glad there's a bunch of people jumping on this. This will be challenging, but definitely life changing! I ended my 50 days when I frankly just got fed up with having to always be prepared for every single social occasion and outing. I said "screw it" and ate the beans. So, I know that even when you have almost two months under your belt, you can still have those moments where it is hard to not throw in the towel! That will be my challenge, not throwing in the towel after a large chunk of time has passed.

Okay so I've been doing a little more thinking about this particular journey... building on my previous experiences with clean eating, disordered eating, sleep habits, etc.:

This time around I am going sans coffee. Please keep in mind that I just moved back to WA state and really love black coffee. BUT I also know coffee throws my blood sugar all over the place and ramps up my anxiety big time.

Also avoiding nuts and dried fruits. Felt like I cheated myself to some extent on a previous W30 as I was hoovering handfuls of salted almonds and raisins. Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Focus on hydration. Planning to drink green tea in the morning and water allll day. Stay hydrated!

Anddddd - going to allow myself to eat with (healthy) abandon. That is: as long as I am not dessert-ing foods to get a fix, going to eat when hungry and trust my hunger and body signals to level out during this 100+ day process. One of my big goals in all of this is show my body love and to trust it, and guilting up because I go back for seconds after dinner does not accomplish that. I'll try to stick to the three meal parameters and meal portions, but no counting calories or over rigid habits. Feel hungry = eat good food. Feel hungry between meals = eat good food.

So yep.

Also - what quick/convenient foods have you all discovered when you get in a pinch? I try to plan so as to avoid that, but want to have backup...

Eating clean is extremely important to me during this pregnancy. I suffered depression during and after my first, and it was devastating. I notice foods (particularly sugar and seed oils) dramatically impact my mood and stress levels, so I'm hoping that by eating this way I might be able to reduce or even avoid that depression this time around. I have a feeling that after the 100 days, I won't be stopping for this reason. Particularly because I know that I'm extremely sensitive to many foods - I have a diagnosed dairy allergy and a reaction to wheat that almost mimicks what happens when I consume milk (which is pretty serious). The only thing I don't know about is soy, but soy hasn't been a big deal to me in years. I could live without it. I may just be one of those people who has to eat this way for life. Well, this way plus maybe the occasional use of white potatoes. Maybe I'll add that back in after 100 days...

I hear you on that one, big time. Wheat does all sorts of horrible things to me, but one of the most difficult is the emotional/psychological impact. I can handle bloating any day over paralyzing moods... I know starting the new year in this healthy way will make such a substantial difference for all of us on here.

And also - congratulations! What great motivation for you :).

Hi I'm Sandy I would like to join in for the whole 100. Although this will be my first whole anything and I am not really sure what I am getting myself into...... but I will be aiming for 100 days :) and hoping I make it. I am from Central Vancouver Island ( Comox Valley) and somewhere in my 50's ( I really stopped counting), and have a hypo-thyroid issue to contend with. I am hoping to gain more energy and lose more weight and just feel better. I have injured my foot awhile back making it difficult to do some exercises ( and this cold damp weather does nothing to help). I am planning on doing a tai chi class in January that will last 8 weeks, to slowly loosen me up. As the rain and slush subside I hope to be ready to get out my bike and start moving a lot more. Then who knows what I will do from there : :D I am already feeling so encouraged just reading everyone's posts :)

Okay so I've been doing a little more thinking about this particular journey... building on my previous experiences with clean eating, disordered eating, sleep habits, etc.:

This time around I am going sans coffee. Please keep in mind that I just moved back to WA state and really love black coffee. BUT I also know coffee throws my blood sugar all over the place and ramps up my anxiety big time.

Also avoiding nuts and dried fruits. Felt like I cheated myself to some extent on a previous W30 as I was hoovering handfuls of salted almonds and raisins. Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Focus on hydration. Planning to drink green tea in the morning and water allll day. Stay hydrated!

Anddddd - going to allow myself to eat with (healthy) abandon. That is: as long as I am not dessert-ing foods to get a fix, going to eat when hungry and trust my hunger and body signals to level out during this 100+ day process. One of my big goals in all of this is show my body love and to trust it, and guilting up because I go back for seconds after dinner does not accomplish that. I'll try to stick to the three meal parameters and meal portions, but no counting calories or over rigid habits. Feel hungry = eat good food. Feel hungry between meals = eat good food.

So yep.

Also - what quick/convenient foods have you all discovered when you get in a pinch? I try to plan so as to avoid that, but want to have backup...

Elleon - I was also going to suggest the canned tuna thing. I get the kind with olive oil in it. Even my 2 year old will eat it, so serves a dual purpose.

I've also carried around homemade jerky and canned olives. Also, salad bars at grocery stores can sometimes save a life. :) I get a salad and then pop in the isle and grab some tuna to top it with sometimes.

This is not going to be an easy journey for me, as my husband is not into eating healthy, but I know that by being included in this group I will succeed. We are all here to help each other and lift each other up when we start to slide.

My husband is the anti-Whole30, so I know the challenge. He'll sit there and eat sweets right in front of me on Day 4, which is the worse day for sugar cravings! Its easier to just walk out of the room when he's going to eat garbage. :)

You're not alone Kathehane and KItmao - my husband is the same. However, he might show some more support this time. He has seen me after a period of eating clean, and it is very different to when I don't. I am happier and sleep more when I am eating clean - we'll see if he is any better though.....

Hi Everybody,

I'm Lisa and I've done several Whole 30s in the past. The longest one was about 80 or 90 days a few years ago. I live in Switzerland and blog about all things paleo at www.swisspaleo.ch. I am a nurse and certified nutrition counselor and I occasionally lead nutrition seminars and paleo challenges here in Switzerland. I am always 100% grain, legume, refined sugar and soy free but indulge in way too much cream in my coffee. I'm doing another Whole 30 to get control of my paleofied treat habit. I'm also going to try doing it nut free since nuts are "food without brakes" for me. For Christmas, I got a dehydrator and a kombucha brewing kit (already had my first batch...soooo good). I'm going to work on making some homemade beef jerky with my dehydrator.

Really looking forward to this :D

My name is Megan and I am from Adelaide, Australia. I completed a Whole 30 in August, 2012. I am in for 100 days starting January 1st. My family will be doing 100 days of real food without wheat. They are not ready for a Whole 30 but dinners will be. I have been eating Paleo since July and it has made an amazing difference to my hay fever and food intolerances. I also do 3 sessions of CrossFit each week.

I look forward to getting to know you and supporting you over the next 100 days.

The gluten free is a great idea! My husband is making efforts for better foods with me for our kids but not on board with the higher fat and no grains etc.....yet:)

If only I can get him to read the book lol. He said he would and he is a lot further in understanding how good this way of eating is than a year ago-woohoo! That is when whole 30 popped into my life.

I have been eating clean for the last 3 days and am really getting excited about making this a lifestyle! i actually am getting more faith in my head that I can do it! I have read tons of posts over the last few days and this group will help tremendously. I will keep jan 1 my start date and just figure these days as a bonus.

I'm not a huge planner but have gotten comfortable with making compliant foods on the spot. I have learned the miracle of homemade mayo and chicken salad, yum! I am excited to learn more recipes. I plan to make a menu today, shop and make some dressings. New Years party tonight - guacamole, vegetable tray and maybe chicken appetizers and club soda- I'll be covered.

Good luck to everyone!

AJ

In preparation for my Jan 1 or 2 start of my W100, I am reading ISWF again. So glad I decided to do that. I skipped the science-y parts last time. I think I skipped right over to chapter 8. The hormone info is really interesting and really explains why I used to forage for foods late at night. Icky foods like pb sannies and chocolate milk with a crappy grocery store piece of cake.

I highly recommend a second read of the book. :)

Read ISWF again yesterday, and yes, the hormone stuff seemed more interesting this time around :)

The house is filled with great foods,and I am embarking on 100 days as of yesterday (making today Day 2) I am excited to be here, committed, and ready to be in control.

Just quick- I am 47,married 23 years, and mother of 6 awesome kids- 10 yrs -22 yrs. Full time stay at home mom, homeschooling the three youngest,keeping track of everybody and everything else. I need this for ME !!!!

I also am adding in an exercise commitment for this time- I need to establish good, solid, consistent habits there as well.

Here we go !!!!

Hi Everybody,

I'm Lisa and I've done several Whole 30s in the past. The longest one was about 80 or 90 days a few years ago. I live in Switzerland and blog about all things paleo at www.swisspaleo.ch. I am a nurse and certified nutrition counselor and I occasionally lead nutrition seminars and paleo challenges here in Switzerland. I am always 100% grain, legume, refined sugar and soy free but indulge in way too much cream in my coffee. I'm doing another Whole 30 to get control of my paleofied treat habit. I'm also going to try doing it nut free since nuts are "food without brakes" for me. For Christmas, I got a dehydrator and a kombucha brewing kit (already had my first batch...soooo good). I'm going to work on making some homemade beef jerky with my dehydrator.

Really looking forward to this :D

Your blog is gorgeous! Looking forward to making some new recipes :)

Hello everyone. I'm Tiffany, 30, from Northern California. I found out I was pregnant with #2 during my 2nd Whole30 back in August and derailed when morning sickness hit hard. Now that the holidays have passed I'm determined to get back to this and try to maintain it throughout at least the remainder of my pregnancy, if not longer. I'm currently 25+ weeks pregnant due in mid April. I'm very hopeful I will be able to make it through this. I'm glad there is such a big group to help motivate me to keep on track.

I should add that I'm a full time SAHM of a three year old who has been mostly paleo since she starting eating solids. She is an excellent eater and I'm constantly amazed by the choices she makes regarding food. I have a lot to learn from her.

In reply to Aberrantatavia about her Kombucha question above:

We ordered a scoby (the bacteria colony that starts your kombucha) online from a place in the UK. For you, in New England, I would look into http://www.kambuchakamp.com. They are a reputable company and you can order a scoby from them. They also sell the full kits for getting started. All we ordered was the scoby and we sourced the rest of what we needed ourselves. We got a big glass cookie jar (don't have any cookies to put it it anyways!) and we brew in that. I think it holds 2 liters. We used some organic black tea and some organic pure cane sugar (sugar is a must for the bacteria but they eat it all so not much is actually left in your kombucha and kombucha is ok on a Whole 30), dropped the scoby in and let it do its thing for about 7 days. We drank half of it like that (very yummy) and bottled the other half in mason jars with a few mango slices for a "second fermentation" which should add the mango flavor and some fizz. Second fermentation takes about 5 days. I'm looking forward to trying lots of flavor combinations. I'd like to get a continuous brew system next (you can see what those look like on the kombuchakamp site) so that I always have kombucha on tap :)

You should give it a try---it's like a science project and cooking all wrapped in one. Fun!! I'll be writing up a post about it at my blog in the next few days (www.swisspaleo.ch) so check for that because I'll have pictures and a recipe.

Just dropping by to say YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

I'm on day 99 of my first whole30, and I'm trying to decide whether to take a little break or push on through. I will definitely be doing a Whole30 in January because my husband has agreed to try it, and I want to support him fully. I just can't quite decide whether some paleo chocolate chip cookies are worth breaking my stride for!

If I skip the cookies, I'm totally joining this party!

Happy New Year!

@Lisa@swisspaleo - thank you!

I think I'm going to invest in the home brew continuous kit. I don't know why this seems so daunting to me, I do EVERYTHING from scratch long before Paleo and whole 30.

But I think the kit will be worth it, especially if it makes everything simple for me. I work such long hours that sometimes just making mayo, which takes 2 seconds, is too hard for me that day LOL

I think this just went up the list to purchase before the new food processor.

@Lisa@swisspaleo - thank you!

I think I'm going to invest in the home brew continuous kit. I don't know why this seems so daunting to me, I do EVERYTHING from scratch long before Paleo and whole 30.

But I think the kit will be worth it, especially if it makes everything simple for me. I work such long hours that sometimes just making mayo, which takes 2 seconds, is too hard for me that day LOL

I think this just went up the list to purchase before the new food processor.

Aberrantatavia, I was the same way. The more I read the more confused and daunted I became. I also REALLY want to find a glass gallon jar with a spout but no luck yet. Are you getting yours from Amazon?

Archived