I really liked reading about your approach to movement right now, and I am going to take a page from your book. Home to yoga. I think I mentioned that I was wanting to ramp things up...and that I did with a youtube workout 5 days ago. It was upper and lower body body-weight resistance, and while some of it I can safely continue, and am grateful to have learned, I know better than to do squats and lunges. I did half the work out, and enjoyed the slight upper body, rib, and quad soreness the next two days, but my knees are still saying, "Hell no!" I had never heard of Nutritious Movement before, so I spent some time looking into that online. Just reading the words in your post "movement vs. working out" was a consciousness raiser. Down to my knees, I feel the wisdom there. Thank you for bringing me back to my senses.

Oh, the irony, of spending a much needed day of rest, on my back, reading about moving more. :P But it has been a sweet day. I also listened to a podcast of two Jungian psychologist authors telling the story of Briar Rose and discussing how each element plays out in our lives regarding belonging, inclusion, timing, devotion, and owning our lives.

Then I made a big pot of Lebanese 7-spiced HASH! I froze half of it for when we get home...this time next week we'll be packing for Portland! I'll also have some shrimp cakes on hand because I'm cooking them up in order to have some in the freezer for a big reception the day after we get home. My compatriots and I are unveiling the second edition of oral histories of local elders. Whew! I did one more last minute interview 10 days ago, and the transcribing is a lot of work!....so I'm thawing the shrimp in the fridge, and will make the cakes on Tuesday morning, and freeze some for the party, some for us, and when we get home I'll have hash and shrimp cakes, and plenty of broccoli that I've frozen for the first time. Will broccoli be steamable after freezing, or should that be soup, in your opinion? I also am trying out freezing sliced kale from my CSA, for future hash. So, I'm learning to save some of the food I cook! 

How was the debriefing party? Did you make white bean hummus? I thought the cucumber dippers sounded great - i want to make some. When I unpacked my CSA box yesterday I couldn't tell the difference between the Italian squash and the Mediterranean cucumbers at first, and wished I had some hummus! I thought that your husband's salad at work choice bodes very well for the future. Lettuce is so beautiful. You're a good influence on him! What's on the menu this week?

It's time for me to go back to MovNat and expand on the two exercises I learned...the last two weeks I was so busy at my desk finishing up that last transcript that I sacrificed morning exercise except for a couple of walks, a little stretching, and that one youtube workout...so it's time to have a good, solid week before leaving town. I expect to walk a lot in Portland. Did I tell you I'm going to enjoy a Watsu massage? I'm very excited about that, a huge treat. http://aqua4lifepdx.com/

Have a good Monday!

Sometimes we just need a little irony in our lives! Glad you're liking MovNat and I really like Katy Bowman even if some of her videos are awful. There is one about squatting and I think it would be very informative except it's filmed outside in the wind and I can't understand half of what she's saying. She did have a couple of short pieces about how to move more efficiently and be kind to your knees going uphill and down and another one about gardening and bending over. 

Your trip is going to be fabulous. What a great way to celebrate another year on this earth. That Watsu massage sounds like it's going to be amazing- as close as you can get to floating AND having a massage at the same time. It sounds like you have yourself all set to get right back in the groove when you return home, too. Lebanese hash is in my future! I got some ground chicken last week so I'll pull it out of the freezer this weekend and hash it up. I've never frozen broccoli unless it was already cooked in something and I blanch kale and freeze it all the time but I've never done it without blanching it first. I've always thought that freezing them without blanching first leads to mush but I do it with corn and it's delicious. You'll have to let me know how they work out. Great planning on having your party food ready before you even leave. The oral histories sound like such a great project to be involved in. Have you ever read any of the Foxfire books? There's a jillion of them now but my dad gave me the first three a really long time ago. I've been wanting to go back and reread them especially since I've started do some of the "old timey" things they talk about.

The party was good but the future of Hoedown is a little shaky; they need some investors if they're going to keep this afloat. It took some doing but the white bean hummus came out pretty good. I had a really hard time getting flavor into it. I started with preserved lemons and roasted garlic and I think the beans just overpowered the more subtle flavors. I kept adding garlic and lemon juice and, finally, some cumin and salt and more lemon and more cumin. It finally woke up and got devoured in minutes. I was kind of surprised because 3 cups of beans makes a pretty good-sized bowl of hummus so I thought I'd be eating it all week. I did get some tzatziki made with the leftover cucumbers and it was a great salad dressing for a big salad with sauteed shrimp last night. 

I have a couple of new items on the menu: a slow roasted chicken from Mark Sisson's page and tostones (probably not together, though:lol:). I just happened to see a couple of nice green plantains at the store yesterday so I grabbed them. I remember my grandmother on my mother's side making them when I was a kid and they were really good. I'm also going to try plaeorunningmomma's Salisbury steak meatballs. I'll let you know the verdict on all of them.

Trying to keep "movement" in the front of my consciousness!

You're almost there!

I'm going to spend the weekend doing all of that cooking that I mentioned but didn't get around to and trying to get back to what passes as "normal" around our house. Except for a little lingering drama with the carpenter, a "slight" problem with some door knobs and waiting for the gutters to get installed, THE CONSTRUCTION IS FINISHED!!!! We're planning on spending some time enjoying the expanded deck and admiring the new siding and paint on the house. I think we'll probably fire up the Weber kettle for some surf and turf and grilled veggies to celebrate.

Have a wonderful trip and a happy birthday!

Hash it up, Holly! LOL. Congrats on the finale of construction! Yayyyy! The part where you get to sit back and look at it, and enjoy it, and fire up the grill, aahhh. That sounds heavenly. You guys earned it. Please find your new normal and send a little of that vibe my way, I'm going to need it when I get home! I'm already feeling that nesty anxiousness about leaving my house and routine. I know that once I get on the plane, and to the wonderful place I've never been before, I won't look back. Meanwhile, well, I don't get out much, can you tell? :blink:

I haven't heard of Foxfire, but I will look that up, with you and your dear dad in mind! So many books....so little time! Yes, the oral history project has been awesome. Everyone has a story...like your Hoedown, our endeavor will need to go through some changes if it's to be sustainable. The new volunteers aren't as word-nerdy as the original crew, so those of us who got things going have had to take on a much bigger load this time around with the formatting, word processing, etc, for the others. Kind of a nightmare, but in the end, in the exhausted, bleary-eyed end, it will be okay...I am bowing out after this edition, and my partner in crime wants to continue, but scale it waayyy back, and it won't be a real oral history, but a collection of charming anecdotes. Or something. I will be part of a brain trust for my friend and collaborator, but won't do it again! Mark my word! Please. LOL As for Hoedown, I hope your friends get some investors! It looks so promising, and the early years are so important to get traction, and for word to get out, right? It's a miracle to go from idea to event, shampoo rinse repeat. So much work. Once upon a time I co-organized First Night Festivals, do you have those out your way?

Well, I am woefully unexercised, and recovering from multiple sub-optimal meals. Two weeks ago the mornings were sacrificed for the desk tasks, then this early week I stayed up late and got up early fashioning my ruby red slippers. Yep, I was Dorothy for Halloween, and we had a Wicked Witch of the West, and a Cowardly Lion, and a Wizard of Oz at work. I guess it was worth it. Yeah, it was fun, but it took up my exercise time, so that just is what it was...and I never recovered my momentum. Instead, I was so tired, and so fried from all the excitement (and yes, a little what the heck candy, nothing obscene) that I set my alarm an hour *later* than usual and just enjoyed a little sleep. With that, I'm planning to pack gym clothes and enjoy the hotel gym, that is the plan....walking Portland will be walking in the rain, which will be lovely, but I'm thinking gym workouts will keep my consciousness raised and will be better than nothing while I'm sure it will be a yummy caution to the winds type week foodwise, and I am SO looking forward! yeah, I'd really like to have a slightly exercise sore body feeling when I get in the pool for the watsu experience.

Thanks for the birthday fanfare! Happy weekend, sister, and keep moving!! xo

I'm baaacckkk! We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back. Now it's back to routine...I know it's here somewhere, my life line. I'm a little short on sleep since we got back, and feeling like a little mole, feeling my way through tunnels in the dark. The trip was a dream, and I will share more with time. I went way off road, and it was worth every moment. 

For the party yesterday, the shrimp cakes came out of the freezer well, and I plattered them with snap peas and lime-ginger aioli, which I will definitely make again. To the rest of the mayo batch, for home, I whirled up a little chili-lime theme, also bright and yummy.  The food table was filled with some savory offerings, and mostly sweets, and I noticed that the shrimp cakes got devoured pretty quickly. Hubs has noticed that he has better workouts after eating them, so it's become an inside joke around the house and we both favor them lately. The shrimp is a little pricey though, of course, so can't go too crazy, plus it doesn't fit into the SMASH scheme of things, so might be better to approach as a treat. Hash is on the menu this week, and I'm inspired by all the delicious brussels sprouts dishes I ate on our vacation. A lot of folks seem to be deep frying/flash frying, and I sure do like that (plus all the mind blowing flavor profiles it invites, they seem to pair up with sour/spicy/pungent so well, my mouth waters remembering), but not sure that's what I should be doing...seems to bump the fat intake quite a bit. Might save that for when I feel like I've got a good grip on things again. I was just there, in October, I can get there again! 

How are you doing, Miss Holly? Is the house more and more settled? How goes the movement, the cook ups now that you're on the other side of remodel and Hoedown? 

It sure is hazy from nearby wild fires, not a good time to hike the hills. The big Paradise fire you are reading about is way north of here, so we are safe. The whole state is smoky and hazy, and everyone is mourning and fretting...we have to stick close and take care of each other in these worrisome times. It seems to have turned to winter while we were gone, and we've had the heater on. Now to wait for rain.